WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Looking for hog hunting near Sarasota

Looking for hog hunting near Sarasota

My father in law lives in Sarasota. We are contemplating visiting him and would like to work on a hog hunt. Does anyone know of a reputable outfitter in the area? We wouldn't mind driving a few hours.

Thanks
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Not there, but in other places, I've heard of guys having good luck by posting a note in the local feed & seed store.

You have to plan ahead, but some older farmers/ranchers will let you hunt their property for destructive critters for free.
    It helps if there is a local person as a contact point requesting it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Did a Hog Hunt in Florida about 10 years ago with Friends. One recommendation is to establish the CONDITIONS in the Hog Hunt area.

We hunted with a Hog "Outfitter". They had about 100 acres fenced and the Hogs were all penned inside. Hunters were in "Tree Stands" with zones of fire for each stand. Hogs are trapped in conjunction with Land Owners and the Florida Fish and Wildlife as part of their Game Control programs, and moved to the preserve for hunting.

This is not my style of hunting; but it worked out for us because they had 29 degree weather that day and fog. The guides got my two friend and I out of the "Tree Stands" and we did an actual Hunt through the property - each of us with our own Guide and area to hunt. Guides in contact with each other by radio for safety (100 acres can be pretty small when a Rifle is involved and several groups).

Bottom line; as pat of your search define what your desired Hunt conditions are before committing. Also define how the Game is treated after the Kill. Out Outfitter partially butchered (more than quarters on butchering, but less than a Meat Packer preparation). Will they ship the prepared game to your home location also; or do you have to do so. I left most of the hog with our friends, but took abut a 1/4's worth we froze and paid to have a Cooler full of Frozen meat shipped on the AirCraft with us as Personal Baggage in cargo.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Moderator Emeritus

If you drive down in a truck a chest freezer in the bed powered by a second battery and an inverter works well. Only issue is overnight stops, have to make sure it is guarded or someone will steal it...

Boolit Master

I am not far from Sarasota, but know nothing about outfitters or hunting up there. I would just do a google search and read reviews. I'm only and hour away and that is what I would have to do.

Boolit Man
    may have to go across the state... Melbourne, a few WMA's over there.
    maybe check a local "hog hunter magazine".

Boolit Master

Plenty of hogs on the west coast. I'm sure if you look you can find an outfitter. I did a quick Google search and four popped up that are within 1 to 2 hours drive from Sarasota.

Boolit Master

Thumbcocker, looking through the new FWC Hunting Regulation booklet, there are a couple ‘Hunting Ranch’ advertisements there in.
    I have NEVER been to them but the info is below if you want to call them:

Lightsey Family Ranch
    Venus, Fl. 863-464-0268
    www.floridahuntingoutfitter.com

Okeechobee Outfitters
    863-655-2424
    Guided-hunting.com

Boolit Grand Master
    Years ago, a group of us went to the Lightsey Cattle Company for a wild pig hunt. It was great. Those pigs were free range and sparkey as all heck. Years passed and we tried to go there again, but the cattle company aspect of the operation was into something else and they no longer did pig trips. If it's the same folks, I'd do another trip with them in a heart beat.

Boolit Master
    725 did you go to Bhamha island or one of the others? There are several of the Lightsey's offering hunts, but the state bought the island and I don't know if they hunt on it anymore. I wish I had done a Brahma Island hunt Ive heard they were the bomb.