Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: California black powder firearm ??

Boolit Buddy

California black powder firearm ??

Can you ship directly to the buyer resident a cap and ball pistol priroty mail
    Without any legal problems

I would say yes but who knows?
    I mailed an air rifle there with no problem. Muzzleloaders are considered non firearms and are exempt from the NFA and GCA68 in free states........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I'd do some thorough checking, as I recall reading something about Kali's DOJ ignoring federal definitions and assigning their own to black powder "firearms".
    I suspect they're looking forward to the day that "firearms" will be confiscated. They don't want you to possess one of those nasty muzzle loader "assault muskets".
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Banned
    There are no restrictions on receiving a blackpowder gun here in California.

I have purchased two from Cabelas recently.

Steve in N CA

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    There are no restrictions on receiving a blackpowder gun here in California.

I have purchased two from Cabelas recently.

Steve in N CA

There's no way that Cabella's willingness to ship a muzzleloader is legal or not, depending upon where the gun lands.

In the recent past, Cabela's has TWICE (2 different BP guns/attempts to buy, about a year apart) refused to ship a muzzleloader to me, claiming it was against my state's laws...……. My state has NO restrictions on buying/selling/transferring blackpowder muzzleloaders, treating them as if the sale of a pair of sneakers was being processed.

I eventually got what I wanted online via another muzzleloader vendor, at a cost $10 over the Cabela's price - IMO, well worth it.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    There's no way that Cabella's willingness to ship a muzzleloader is legal or not, depending upon where the gun lands.

In the recent past, Cabela's has TWICE (2 different BP guns/attempts to buy, about a year apart) refused to ship a muzzleloader to me, claiming it was against my state's laws...……. My state has NO restrictions on buying/selling/transferring blackpowder muzzleloaders, treating them as if the sale of a pair of sneakers was being processed.

I eventually got what I wanted online via another muzzleloader vendor, at a cost $10 over the Cabela's price - IMO, well worth it.

I'm confused by your post. Are you saying that people shouldn't base their legal decisions on Cabela's customer service representatives? If so, then I agree. I was only pointing out my last two purchases.

Before that I bought a Lyman Great Plains from Grab-a-gun, again, no problem. I ordered a .36 cal blackpowder pistol from Sportsmans Guide, right to my house.

When I ask any of my local gun stores here why they don't stock any muzzleloaders the answer is the same. "People can get them cheaper on-line."

I don't know about the law in your state. I don't care, I don't live there. The OP asked about California, something I know a little about. Now who knows. Maybe in the city limits of San Francisco or Los Angeles they are different. But if they are I have never heard of them.

Steve in N CA
    Last edited by sghart3578; 06-24-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Boolit Master
    go to your states web site and find out it will be listed in the firearms laws. or contact your state congress critter they will provide you a copy of the law.

some states do treat blackpowder fire arms just the same as modern.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    go to your states web site and find out it will be listed in the firearms laws. or contact your state congress critter they will provide you a copy of the law.

some states do treat blackpowder fire arms just the same as modern.
    That is actually the best advice.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Man
    One thing I have found interesting is some well known Muzzleloader suppliers in the states have no issues sending traditional Muzzleloaders or parts to other countries but Cabelas and most Ebay sellers will not, been trying to get a lock for my T/C for ages. Considering a Muzzleloader is not classed as a firearm in the U.S but is considered an antique. I thought all would export. A lot of guys here get equipment from Cabelas.
    We do need a import permit to procure a Muzzleloader at this end. Of interest a Muzzle loading long gun is considered a firearm here and requires the owner to have a firearm licence . A black powder pistol of flintlock, cap lock is considered a restricted weapon and requires stringent licencing and can only be shot at a pistol range. Any hand guns here are very restricted. That said we have about 1.5 million guns to 4 million people and very low gun crime. Also we don`t have Deer seasons, we hunt all year round and shoot as many as we like that includes with spotlights, NV equipment and even from helicopters. Needles to say the deer are very nervous.

Boolit Master
    Yes, you can sell and/or ship a historic firearm that can not be converted to use a rimfire or centerfire cartridge OR modern reproductions to a person in CA. The CA department of justice covers this but it is hard to find. Some companies just will not do business with anyone in CA, no matter what? Here is their definition and covers if a FFL is required.

(16)The term “antique firearm” means—
    (A)any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or
    (B)any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica—
    (i)is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
    (ii)uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or
    (C)any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term “antique firearm” shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

Boolit Master
    I really feel for my friends in California because of these issues.

Fly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I really feel for my friends in California because of these issues.

Fly

Thank you friend.

Steve in N CA

An experience to relate.

Years ago a percussion revolver was mailed to me.
    It arrived at the house via a postal inspector and two county mountie squad cars.
    The corner of the box had been torn open at the precise location to show the muzzle.
    That precise location could only be located via radiography.
    And opened there to provide the cause for the chuckle headed postal inspector to create a case.

So, after the package was fully opened and the weapon revealed to be an item legally mailed, the amused county had gone about their business...
    I had to roll that one around in my brain for a while to figure out the why-fors and such, but in retrospect what happened became terribly obvious.
    Last edited by Good Cheer; 06-29-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    Yes, you can sell and/or ship a historic firearm that can not be converted to use a rimfire or centerfire cartridge OR modern reproductions to a person in CA. The CA department of justice covers this but it is hard to find. Some companies just will not do business with anyone in CA, no matter what? Here is their definition and covers if a FFL is required.

(16)The term “antique firearm” means—
    (A)any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or
    (B)any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica—
    (i)is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or
    (ii)uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or
    (C)any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term “antique firearm” shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.
    What about cap & ball revolvers that accept conversion cylinders, like most of the common ones? Do they ban these?
    Montani Semper Liberi