Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Thinking of buthering a Miruko..

Boolit Master

Thinking of buthering a Miruko..

Hey all,
    Would like some opinions on the feasibility of rechambering an 1895 Miruko 405 to 35 WCF. I have several originals, but frankly like them far too much to do much load tinkering! I have one new manufacture 95 ine405, but am contemplating another for the project. I would like some thoughts as to: how big of an undertaking this will be, a couple of suggestions on who would do it, and what approximately would this endeavour cost?
    Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    New barrel or maybe a liner and maybe a little tinkering so that it feeds.(not sure about the feed part, It might work without a hitch because of the 95 design) Either way you end up with a lot more money in the project that I would want.

Boolit Buddy
    I would probably start with a 30-40 Krag Browning. The 405s seem to have better resale value and with the 30-40 you could just send it to JES for a rebore instead of having to do a liner. I don't know how much work would be needed to get it to feed but wouldn't expect much. JES' reboring services run $225-$250.

Eric

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ericp View Post
    I would probably start with a 30-40 Krag Browning. The 405s seem to have better resale value and with the 30-40 you could just send it to JES for a rebore instead of having to do a liner. I don't know how much work would be needed to get it to feed but wouldn't expect much. JES' reboring services run $225-$250.

Eric
    Eric - that was my first choice. It seemed like those remakes were everywhere for a while, now I can't find a suitable candidate, hence the miruko plan.

Boolit Master
    Just looked at Cabelas gun library, and I found one you might be interested in (I have no personal ties to it) ;

https://www.cabelas.com/product/winc...Ntt=1895+30-40

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Hey all,
    Would like some opinions on the feasibility of rechambering an 1895 Miruko 405 to 35 WCF.

FWIW, "re-chambering" means enlarging the chamber only to some larger specification, and doesn't involve the bore size.

Rechambering a .405 to a .35 would mean shooting a .358" boolit down a .40 cal bore, a non-starter.

That particular project, as noted above, would involve a .35 cal or smaller M-1895 barrel (or entire rifle), that would have an original chamber that would be disappeared by the .35 Win chambering reamer.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post
    FWIW, "re-chambering" means enlarging the chamber only to some larger specification, and doesn't involve the bore size.

Rechambering a .405 to a .35 would mean shooting a .358" boolit down a .40 cal bore, a non-starter.

That particular project, as noted above, would involve a .35 cal or smaller M-1895 barrel (or entire rifle), that would have an original chamber that would be disappeared by the .35 Win chambering reamer.

Of course you're correct. I was being perhaps overly simplistic in my verbiage. I was implying a change of a rifle's caliber from one (405 in this case) to another 35 Winchester here). I also meant "butcher" in my thread heading but somehow misspelled it.
    Thank you for your post.

Go for it. A new Douglass barrel. I would say customize rather that butcher.

Boolit Grand Master

Doug Turnbull is doing some very nice conversions on these rifles. A up grade in the case hardening better wood and barrel in new caliber maybe even convert it to a full rifle with 24" barrel and half tube. His top line bluing, fit and finish. wouldnt be a butchered rifle but a firearm to be proud of.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Doug Turnbull is doing some very nice conversions on these rifles. A up grade in the case hardening better wood and barrel in new caliber maybe even convert it to a full rifle with 24" barrel and half tube. His top line bluing, fit and finish. wouldnt be a butchered rifle but a firearm to be proud of.
    A half tube magazine on a magazine fed rifle?

Boolit Grand Master

sorry thinking 86

Boolit Buddy
    They do look good on an '86!

Can't give any advice on who to have do the work OP but keep checking Gunbroker. If you are patient there are Miroku 1895 deals to be had there.

30/40 would rebore to 35cal but I believe you would get into a lot of cost in action work. A rebarrel
    would be the way to go. I had a 405 I got used, nice gun but not a original.

Banned
    Rebore a 30-40 to 35-40. Cheaper and brass available.

Barring finding an original .35 WCF online or at a gunshow, you can re-barrel a Miroku/Browning (same manufacture) or original Winchester 1895 in .30-40 or .405 to .35 WCF. Bear in mind that original Winchester and Miroku barrel threads are different. Or, re-bore and rechamber from a 30-40 to 35 WCF, if the .30-40 barrel is thick enough to rebore to .35. I lucked out a few years ago and got an excellent .35 WCF barrel off of ebay. Without too much fuss, I was able to rebarrel an original .30-06 1895 carbine with a bad barrel to .35 WCF. The .35 WCF barrel is significantly thicker in diameter than the original .30-06 barrel, so a little stock inletting and barrel band rework was needed. If I had swapped barrels with a .30-40 or .405, all of the harder work could have been eliminated, because the tricky part for me was to modify a replacement bolt to work with the rimmed case head and modify the carrier cradle to work with the rimmed case. Otherwise, I was surprised to be able to use the remaining original .30-06 components and still have reliable feeding. If you use a .30-40 or .405 action to start with, all this can probably be eliminated because those 2 cartridge case dimensions are very close to those of the .35 WCF. Although you may be able to locate new manufactured .35 WCF brass, I was able to form cases from excellent Hornady .405 cases with very little effort.