Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Which a better sight drilling jig ??

Boolit Master

Which a better sight drilling jig ??

I been wanting something to help me drill/tap for various sights, scope, iron sights, whatever.
    Which of these things is better? (I have a drill press)
    https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...nting-fixture/

http://www.shars.com/3-way-mill-drill-table

I am leaning towards the little mill table, what say you guys??

Boolit Master

The forester jig truly is better for drilling receivers.

The Shars table can be made to drill receivers if you have a drill press and some fixturing, and so much more!
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Bub
    I always do in a vice on the Bridgeport. Thing is the barrel/action has to be clocked straight up then the barrel center found then drill/tap holes spaced as needed. The clocking can be an issue depending on what you have to go by on any particular rifle.
    Never saw the Forster fixture used. Maybe foolproof for that many bucks!
    XY tool mimics the Bridgeport table to a degree but you would need to find barrel center with a edge finder for each hole.
    Pete

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I would need edge finder, and clamping for the X/Y table, that much is assumed,
    but still, we are at half the cost of the forster jig, and what else could I do?
    what am I missing ?

Boolit Master
    The Forster is idiot proof. I’ve tested it myself. I have done a couple on a mill, but it requires skill(obtained, presumably, by experience), and a lot of measuring, leveling, straightening, figgering, checking and rechecking. I do best on a mill with an octagon barrel and a square receiver. The Forster handles everything.

Boolit Grand Master

Used a Forester for many years until I could afford a big mill. You can do a perfect job every time with it and it is real quality. Mine is still going in a different shop after 30 years. With the Shars table you will need a GOOD drill press or mill drill.

Boolit Grand Master

I would prefer more x travel in the unit. y travel isn't a big issue but with longer x travel hole spacing for both blocks can be done in 1 set up. The big thing with the x y tables is getting them mounted square and true so moving in one direction dosnt affect the others location. The other thing to look at is gibs adjustment and graduations movement.

Boolit Master
    I would go with the Forster.I've had mine for around thirty years and would not consider anything else.The Shars device is nothing but a X-Y table attachment for a drill press.If you only have one or two firearms to drill and tap find a gunsmith.The Forster is expensive but worth every penny.Mine is currently set up to install a short side rail mount on a Kar98k.For that operation it is simply used as a holding fixture but is a lot better than a drill press vise.They are fool proof if you read the instructions that come with it.