Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Winchester 1873, .44 WCF, made in 1893

Winchester 1873, .44 WCF, made in 1893

I will post pictures a little later, but took it out to the range today and shot it for the first time. It probably hasn't been shot by anyone in about 60+ years. Anyway, I loaded up some Starline brass with 13.1 gr of Blue Dot, a 1/4" x 1/4" tuft of dacron, CCI 300 Large Pistol Primers, and a Lee .429-200-RF sized to .429 at an OAL of 1.550" I was a little apprehensive at first, but when I saw the light come through the 10 ring on a 3" target @ 25 yds, I got excited. Iron sights still dead on, amazing is all I can say.

This data worked in this rifle, use at your own risk!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Nice. I have a hankering for a 1873 to make it into the stables. Just have more time than money right now.
    Looking forward to the pics.

How does the barrel look? My 1889 '73 in .38-40 barrel looks pretty bad, but shoots well. I was able to hit bowling pins at 60 yards pretty consistently.

Good luck with your new toy!

The barrel doesn't look to bad for 125 years old! Just got done looking at it through a borescope. It has seen usage with black powder, because there is some evidence of pitting, but it is not as bad as some bores that I have seen. A little Marvel Mystery oil and some swabs will make it look good as new!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Black powder did not cause the pitting in your bbl, it was improper care after it was shot. There are thousands of guns from the BP ammo era that have bores that are the same as the day they were built.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Bub
    That's a beautiful rifle! Congrats and good shooting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Even has the dust cover, very nice!

Boolit Buddy
    It's so fun when you can get those shooting good! Nice rifle, good work.

Boolit Bub
    Very nice rifle and good job working up an accurate load for it.

Nice rifle! Hows the accuracy at longer ranges? I bought one not to long ago. MFG 1888, 44wcf like you. I can hit targets out to some decent range, I wont blame it on the rifle. Its just me that has a hard time aiming. My rifle looks, abit different tho. Nickle plated, with a picture on the stock. And my bore looks like its never been shot.

Boolit Bub
    That looks like a nice one!!

Nick, that is snazzy. A real beut. Hope mine comes together half as good. And a shooter to boot ... very nice and thanks for sharing her here.

Haven't really tried it out to longer ranges yet, just wanted to get a load that works in it first, then we'll try some range. I'm sure that with a group like that, it won't do to bad further out as long as I can see the target!!!!!!!

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Very nice . I have an original 73 in 44/40 , its in excellent condition ,I bought it from a deceased estate. The old fellas wife told me he shot it once many years ago .I havent shot it since I bought it ,but plan to .I checked the serial and it was made in 1889 ,has the dust cover , and I noticed that all the markings are engraved not stamped ,even the calibre on the brass lifter block is engraved .I also bought the 92 that was owned by the same bloke , its very nice but is slightly used , also in 44/40 and of 1910 vintage .I shoot the 92 ,I used factory winchester ammo , but I have a full bag of west castings 200gn hard cast boolits to try out .I loaded 50 fired win brass and cast boolits but some the primer wont seat to full depth ,using cci primers .I bought a hundred starline brass and will try those. Had to get a set of Lyman dies as the Lee fls die creates a little buckle in the case mouth for some reason. Anyway I havent had the time to do any thing as yet ,got jobs to get done for other people so I have to wait for a lull in work . But your rifle is a beauty .Love it.
    The 92 below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0441.jpg  
    Last edited by BigEyeBob; 07-07-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Super Moderator

The older I get, the more I lust after vintage lever actions like these. I'm not sure why...

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    The older I get, the more I lust after vintage lever actions like these. I'm not sure why...
    Been thinking about selling all my British big game rifles and shotguns and buying vintage winchesters . Maybe ,maybe not.