RepackboxLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The trialsof a NewBee slug shooter

Banned
    Hello Gpidaho, remain hooked as I was getting bored, I can't read English therefore love to see things through pictures, this language everyone understands and less chances of making mistakes for my other brothers who come looking for ideas. You did make me feel good, all my efforts did not go waste after all, Thank you.

The only thing I'll change is instead of two .125-28 ga I'll use two and a half for even a better fit.

Your possibilities are endless:

Thank you.

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-02-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Banned
    Greetings GP, I am happy for you having the 20 ga Rifled High Power Nitro Express.
    Just imagine a heavy game load like this baby, if and when need be !

Sure is mouth watering.

Some not so Hot loads

Order that Lee mold from MidSouth for $18 plus as prices are going up !

I'm taking the liberty to post the .575" RB load here too.

**--** The picture of .575" RB of 285 gr above, I would only change is in stead of two nitro cards below the RB in wad I'll add yet another 1/2 card more to make it 2 1/2 nitro cards below the RB for even a better fit !
    This load is a .44 mag 240 grain full load on " Steroids "
    Use it to your advantage.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-02-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know how I missed this old thread and I am sure gp has things worked out by now but...

I have had no problem with leading using either pure lead for Lyman Foster slugs (which I hate and do not use any more) or with bore diameter round balls or even factory loaded slug rounds or factory made slugs.

I know some people do but so far in both smoothbore and a rifled gun I borrowed I have had no leading at all. My Browning BPS was used quite a bit with Lyman Foster slugs when I first started this quest many, many years ago and while they shot poorly I got no leading. I moved to bore diameter round balls more recently when I reinitiated the quest using 0.735" RB's cast from either range scrap or clip on WW. Again unlubricated and no leading at all in my single shot smoothbore or borrowed rifled gun. I shot hundreds through the smoothbore and mostly in batches of at least 25 and sometimes as many as 50 at a time. The rifled gun got 15 rounds through it with no sign of leading.

I'm sure for the round balls and recent bore diameter slugs cast from hard lead, that helps.

hard to lube factory slugs unless you use a waxy lube into the roll crimped case mouth but home cast or loaded slugs can be tumble lubed, rolled in graphite or maybe mica, paper patched and any of those should help minimize or eliminate leading.

Alternately wad slugs or balls in wads keep the lead off the bore. Seems that round balls in wads need to be a tight fit to give good accuracy in rifled guns likely due to small bearing area and skidding in the wad if not really tight. They do pretty well in smoothbore as long as they aren't a rattle fit in the wad/bore.

Ajay's pic above looks as though those .575" RB's are a good fit as they bulge the wad petals.

I am probably preaching to the converted by now.

Longbow

Banned
    Good morning, shooters with proper rifled barrel sure have an edge for 285 gr RB and 450 to 460 gr Heavy High Power Super Nitro Express loads of the future.
    We need now is the gun manufacturers to pay close attention to our needs like:
    A. We need our 20 ga Nitro Express barrels be fluted, in SS 26 inch and at muzzle to measure .880" / 12 ga to measure 1 inch !
    Proof tested to up to 26.000 PSI

B. We need our Super Nitro Express guns to have deeper rifling, groove diameter was 0.729" and land diameter was 0.705".

C. We need our Super Nitro Express hulls beefed up a bit so as not to bulge under pressure during final fold crimping stage.
    Right where the PVC ring is being used to help support the hull.

D. Our components need to be sized for proper fit so as not to let the powder seep through and cause blow-by gases effect.
    We have been made a fool for too long with sub standard parts !

All we need is simple fine tuning of our newer breed of Super High Power Nitro Express guns and re-enforced components to fit well ! !
    Those were my last 2 cents, now " I'm broke "

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Boolit Buddy
    Why do We need a Fluted Barrel?
    The Rifling shown grabs Sabots and Slugs well if it is continuous Rifling, not Paradox style.
    Most Rifling is .004-.005" in Depth. The Paradox has much deeper rifling, and much less cross section on the Lands.
    I have a slow twist 12 ga that has a good bit of taper in the bore and .012" deep Rifling.

Greg
    AKA 12 Bore

Boolit Grand Master

Greg:

Where did you get that barrel with slow twist 0.012" deep rifling made?

I checked several barrel or gun makers looking for .73 cal. rifle barrels with slow twist and deep rifling and they all thought I was nuts! Including Pacific Rifle who made 12 ga. slow twist barrels for their Zephyr under hammer muzzleloader.

I wound up making a rifling machine for doing choke tubes with 1:72" rifling I had planned to cut with narrow lands and wide deep grooves. It worked when I bored and rifled some 3/4" pipe but when I got a blank choke tube and bored it to size then started rifling the cutter (Toad Hall style multi tooth) wasn't aggressive enough on the hard stainless steel choke tube so wasn't making much progress. So I made a new single point hook cutter that worked better but wound up grabbing and jamming in place! In getting it free I lost tube position (timing) without realizing it and munched the rifling I'd started. BAH! I may be able to salvage it but just haven't gotten back to it.

My goal was a deep rifled, slow twist choke tube for, hopefully Paradox, style results. I may get back to it yet but if I could buy a section of slow twist rifled barrel I would just make the choke tube from that.

Anyway, if you have a name, I would check that out. If affordable I'd order some rifled blank barrel.

Longbow

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12