MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Made a Portable Shooting Table/bench

Boolit Master

Made a Portable Shooting Table/bench

Made this yesterday. I think it came out just fine for what I am going to use it for. It is pretty stable when I put a couple small sandbags on it & sit in a chair with my arms on it like I was going to shoot a pistol or a rifle. I have to go to other folks property or State land to shot, so I wanted to make something that was light & portable for when I am sighting in, or doing load tests. I think I will take it out today & give it a try as I have some more ladder tests to do & it is a nice day out.

Here are some pictures:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0451.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	222578Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	222579
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0455.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	222580Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0450.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	222581

It is made of a piece of plywood for the tabletop, 3 1/2" Galv. pipe flanges screwed into the bottom at an angle for the leg sockets, 3- 3' long 1/2" black pipe for legs, and 6 broom handle clamps screwed into the bottom to hold the pipes when I am carrying it around.

I did not weigh it, but it is pretty lightweight.

I think I am gonna be happy with it.

ETA: I have no idea why this forum seems to turn my pictures sideways all the time, but I am going to try to fix them & repost...
    Last edited by JBinMN; 06-23-2018 at 09:35 AM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Moderator Emeritus

Sounds great but I can't see the pictures.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Sounds great but I can't see the pictures.
    I fixed them... I think...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Moderator Emeritus

Looks good. I have to make something but I won't have to lug it around once I figure out where my range will be.

Boolit Master
    Well Done!

Banned
    Nice!! I need to get back on mine I started a shooting bench and adjustable stool so long ago I can't remember. The shooting bench is done but needs to be assembled (the pipe flanges need screwed to the bottom of the table top) I used 1 1/4 pipe (I tend to over build stuff ) the adjustable height stool is cut out and needs weilded and painted.

Seeing yours, I think I should have made my top bigger
    Last edited by Grmps; 07-19-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    Looks good and portable. Think it would fit nicely in back of my pickup to go and shoot at local area where i shoot. Pick up quick and just leave in truck for next time. I like to take portable brass catcher so don’t have to dig around later out of grass.

Boolit Master
    Used it today to run a couple load tests on Clays(45ACP) & Power Pistol(9mm) for a couple of hours.

I am very happy with it!

Thanks for the input & support!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Bub
    I made a bench with a top very much like yours, and with these legs:

https://www.amazon.com/Target-Precis...NGHAH0M6RXZ5FH

I like the 34" leg height. Easy up, easy down, no wobble. I did add a 2x4 underneath length-wise for a little more rigidity. So far, I've used a 5-gal bucket as a seat.
    "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea." --Dr. Johnson

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice JB, enjoy it. I made one years ago so the wife and I could get away from the crowds at the range and love it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turk.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	223755
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I made one that looks like swheeler's bench. I've used it for several years and may have to repaint it before taking it to a rural property that my son bought. It will probably sit out in the weather but between extra coats of paint and maybe a piece of galvanized roofing to sort of protect the top, hopefully, it will survive for several more years.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Great looking bench!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 3AXBAT View Post
    I made a bench with a top very much like yours, and with these legs:

https://www.amazon.com/Target-Precis...NGHAH0M6RXZ5FH

I like the 34" leg height. Easy up, easy down, no wobble. I did add a 2x4 underneath length-wise for a little more rigidity. So far, I've used a 5-gal bucket as a seat.
    Those look like a sturdy set of legs. A bit more pricey than I wanted to spend though, so I went with the "el cheapo" pipe ones for now. Thanks for sharing though!

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Very nice JB, enjoy it. I made one years ago so the wife and I could get away from the crowds at the range and love it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Turk.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	223755
    Thanks! I have been enjoying this one a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I made one that looks like swheeler's bench. I've used it for several years and may have to repaint it before taking it to a rural property that my son bought. It will probably sit out in the weather but between extra coats of paint and maybe a piece of galvanized roofing to sort of protect the top, hopefully, it will survive for several more years.
    I just polyurethaned it with about 4 coats or so for now. I will coat it again in the Fall & then touch ups from then on. Like I said, it gets transported so it does not sit out in the weather. Mine does have a new gouge in it though that I will have to sand out & touch up. It got a scrape from putting it back in the jeep the last time I went out with it. No worries though, since it will be find in the end. G'Luck!

Thanks again to all who posted!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

Boolit Bub
    A couple years ago I went prairie dogging with a friend, and he brought his bench. It was hell for stout, stable and every thing you want, but it took 10 minutes to set up, two different wrenches, loose pieces rolling around the truck, just a big pain. I wanted an easier answer, folding legs. Also, I wanted a higher table. I hate crouching over the rifle. And when I see what some (very nice) tables sell for, I still feel I got off cheap.
    "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea." --Dr. Johnson

I have one that has the female pipe fittings set into a plywood mold and filled with concrete. So the legs can be removed for transport.

It’s the most stable portable bench, that one person can easily pick up, that I have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FA91DA5C-E96B-493B-A937-D380D0557C6A.jpg  

JB;
    If you want to increase the stability add some hooks on the bottom of the bench and hang a couple of heavy sand bags from them. I made a similar portable bench with 3/4 inch pipe screwed into wall flanges for legs, and the added weight of one large heavy bag hanging under the bench where it is out of the way increases stability wonderfully for me. Brodie

South of the Equator and North of Capricorn
    I made mine from one of those three legged foot operated j0aw vices ,and a piece of solid core door .It comes apart in seconds and is very stable .

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies!

I was offline for a few days as my modem/router was not working correctly, or I would have replied sooner.. I think I have things fixed for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Coot View Post
    JB;
    If you want to increase the stability add some hooks on the bottom of the bench and hang a couple of heavy sand bags from them. I made a similar portable bench with 3/4 inch pipe screwed into wall flanges for legs, and the added weight of one large heavy bag hanging under the bench where it is out of the way increases stability wonderfully for me. Brodie
    I will certainly try that this week if I get the time to go out & test up some loads from the bench. Thanks a lot for sharing that idea!

I have some small cup holders around here & a few shot bags. Just need to get more sand.

Thanks to everyone once again!

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!