RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise here
Graf & SonsLee PrecisionStainLess Steel MediaTitan Reloading

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: My tumble lubing technique

  1. #1
    Boolit Master Bazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,424

    My tumble lubing technique

    I started with Lee liquid alox. It worked okay, but didnt look real good nor dry real good. So I made some 45/45/10. It does much better as far as drying and looking decent in the finished product.

    Well I got to thinking about it, I dont think i've ever seen the method I use to apply tumble lube elsewhere. Its quite simple, so I thought it'd share.

    I put the bullets in a ziploc bag, pour on some lube, close the bag, and knead it until the lube is thoroughly applied. It coats the inside of the bag, and all the bullets in a minute. Clean, easy, and fast. I open the bag, dump the bullets out on paper plates (also used for targets) and let them dry.

    ~Bazoo

  2. #2
    Boolit Master

    Shiloh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Upper Midwest
    Posts
    6,434
    Leave room for additional boolits in the bag. Incase ti is a little heavy, add extra boolits to use up the extra lube.
    Tried my first use of 45-45-10 today from Larsen's. Should be dry tomorrow.

    Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

    "A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

    “Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

    “If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

    "Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

  3. #3
    Boolit Master Bazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,424
    I dont fill the bag totally full. In a quart bag, probably about 2 inches worth in the bottom.

  4. #4
    Boolit Master RED BEAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    central va
    Posts
    394
    i may try tumble lube again. tried before and did it wrong becouse it came out thick and never totally dried . i mixed the lee alox with mineral spirits i think anyway. got the ratios off this or another sight not sure witch. i have a couple tumble lube molds and lee makes a couple more i would like but only in tumble lube. so may give it another go. the plastic bag seems like it would work good.

  5. #5
    Boolit Master
    Tom W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Phenix City, Alabama
    Posts
    2,638
    I mostly use JPW. I'll put some in a little cup with a cover that I brought home from Olive Garden, put in a bunch of boolits, put the cover on and turn it sideways. I'll roll it like that until I'm satisfied and then dump the boolits out on my bench. It's plywood and the JPW is good for it. I'll stand the coated boolits up using a needle nose pliers in a nice little area about 10 in each line until they are all nice and neat, then find something else to do for the next 24 hours or so. If I size them with a Lee sizer I'll repeat the process. I'm retired, I have the time.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

  6. #6
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Peepels Republik of Nu Jork
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I mostly use JPW. I'll put some in a little cup with a cover that I brought home from Olive Garden, put in a bunch of boolits, put the cover on and turn it sideways. I'll roll it like that until I'm satisfied and then dump the boolits out on my bench. It's plywood and the JPW is good for it. I'll stand the coated boolits up using a needle nose pliers in a nice little area about 10 in each line until they are all nice and neat, then find something else to do for the next 24 hours or so. If I size them with a Lee sizer I'll repeat the process. I'm retired, I have the time.....
    This works well for me too on 38 & 45 boolits.!
    “Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

    ― Mark Twain

  7. #7
    Boolit Master Bazoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Cecilia, Kentucky
    Posts
    1,424
    I might mention, that I size the bullets before I lube them. One coat works good for me in 45 auto.

  8. #8
    Boolit Master
    mdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    So. Orygun
    Posts
    5,282
    Yep, squishing lube and boolits in a plastic bag works quite well. BTDT. Now I dip lube; hold a bullet by the nose and dip into alox or 45-45-10 and set them on the base on a piece of wax paper or alum. foil. No mess on the nose...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

  9. #9
    Boolit Master
    Tom W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Phenix City, Alabama
    Posts
    2,638
    That's the main reason I don't like to tumble lube. I do so because I have to. Even sparingly it builds up on the seating die. I just never bought a .309 or.310 sizing die for my LAM II but I have one from Lee that I bought when I first started casting.

    I have tried dipping when I bought my RD mold. It's a lot easier to hold than the Lee that I cast.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

  10. #10
    Boolit Master
    mdi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    So. Orygun
    Posts
    5,282
    Tweezers...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

  11. #11
    Boolit Master
    Tom W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Phenix City, Alabama
    Posts
    2,638
    I have a set of precision pliers that I keep i the shed now.....I think there are 6 different designs. Got them at Wally world on a clearance table. I doubt the quality is great, but they serve a purpose.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

  12. #12
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Peepels Republik of Nu Jork
    Posts
    386
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    That's the main reason I don't like to tumble lube. I do so because I have to. Even sparingly it builds up on the seating die. I just never bought a .309 or.310 sizing die for my LAM II but I have one from Lee that I bought when I first started casting.

    I have tried dipping when I bought my RD mold. It's a lot easier to hold than the Lee that I cast.
    If this is the case, YOU ARE USING TOO MUCH LUBE! If you are tumble lubing correctly, assuming you're using 45-45-10 or equivalent, the boolit should look like it has an almost invisible coat of varnish on it. After I lube and dry them, I put them in a tub and tumble them with a SMALL dab of Motor Mica, just enough to coat them. That's it! If the boolits are intended for my rifle loads, I put 2 coats of lube on, then the mica. After the 2nd coat the lube is a little more obvious but it should NEVER look like it was painted on! The single biggest problem guys have with T-L with ALOX products is using too much lube!
    “Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

    ― Mark Twain

  13. #13
    Boolit Bub dbmjr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NOLA
    Posts
    38
    I used to TL using Alox in a plastic peanut butter jar. Still have the jar on a shelf.

    I started using powder coat and never looked back. No smoke, no clean-up. Alox can really foul up a firearm.
    It does work though, if you keep your velocity down and your alloy right.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
    ~Ben Franklin

  14. #14
    Boolit Master
    Tom W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Phenix City, Alabama
    Posts
    2,638
    Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    If this is the case, YOU ARE USING TOO MUCH LUBE! If you are tumble lubing correctly, assuming you're using 45-45-10 or equivalent, the boolit should look like it has an almost invisible coat of varnish on it. After I lube and dry them, I put them in a tub and tumble them with a SMALL dab of Motor Mica, just enough to coat them. That's it! If the boolits are intended for my rifle loads, I put 2 coats of lube on, then the mica. After the 2nd coat the lube is a little more obvious but it should NEVER look like it was painted on! The single biggest problem guys have with T-L with ALOX products is using too much lube!
    This ain't my first rodeo....But perhaps I wasn't clear.

    I learned the hard way back in the '70's about putting too much LLA into the cool whip tub. I know that after tl with LLA it should look like I forgot to put some in ... And I have a tub of mica, as well.
    I have come to prefer the JPW over mule snot or any mixture that contains it.
    But my real preference is WLL Carnauba Red. If I have to apply it with my fingers I will...

    And I don't want to pan lube...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check