WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .38 Special Blue Dot or 2400

Boolit Man
    11-12 grains of 2400 behind a 158 LSWC in a Special case will duplicate the old 38-44 loads. Figure 1100-1200 fps. Safe in a 357, but not for use in a Special only gun. I got the load from a Handloader article Venturino did about the 38-44. I've shot alot of this load in my 686 and Coonan.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I don't know Squat about Blue Dot, having never laid my eyes on it. I am however passingly familiar with 2400 in the 38 Special. You do not get a clean burn with 2400 unless you get to the upper pressure levels. Overall, it is a poor choice.

A good 38 Special powder? Well Pard get you some Bullseye, it has been the go to power for the 38 Special since the mind of man rembereth not.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    I have had good results with BD In 30/06, 30/40 and 243 with cast. Did try it in 44 Mag but recall it wasn't a success.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=fecmech;4396047...Model 19's from my understanding do not hold up well to the heavier .357 mag loads... [/QUOTE]

For years the load I used exclusively in my Model 19 was the Lyman 358156 gas check bullet with 13.5 grains of then-Hercules 2400, loaded in .38 Special cases with the bullet crimped in the lower crimping groove. After nineteen years the cylinder access pin was apparenty battered to the point where it was difficult to close the cylinder because the forward tip of the ejector rod stuck out a bit too far. I had the axis pin replaced, and after asking myself how much power I really needed, started using mostly 11.0 grains of now-Alliant 2400 for casual shooting, with occasional use of the hotter load. For the last quarter century I have had no problems.

Responding to the original poster, I feel 11.0 grains of 2400 is a good .38 Special load...if the .38 Special in question is an N frame.

Quote Originally Posted by El Bibliotecario View Post
    Responding to the original poster, I feel 11.0 grains of 2400 is a good .38 Special load...if the .38 Special in question is an N frame.
    That load would beat a medium frame, or small frame Colt or Smith and Wesson to pieces in short order.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Man
    I used to use B.D. to load in 357 and 38 spc. I started out loading for my 61/2" Black Hawk 158 gr. Thompson style swc. with 2400. It seemed to leave quite a lot of unburned powder. At that time B.D. was fairly new. According to Hercules I could use It in both cartridges. I have in front of me a 1988 herc. manual. in 38 spc. with 158 gr lswc with 6.1 gr. B.D. at 955 fps and 15,600 psi. this was not +P. I , as best I recall liked the load OK. As others have pointed out though, there are probably better powders.
    Oklahoma. Quite possibly the reddest state in the U.S.A. 77 counties, 2 elections, and not a single one went for B.O. Uh make that 3 elections, we didn't care much for Hillary either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123