RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .38 Special Blue Dot or 2400

Boolit Buddy
    I have shot thousands of Lee 158 TL SWC over 9 gr H 2400 in a Ruger Blackhawk. Got the load from RCBS cast bullet manual. This is from a 38 case BTW. Very accurate, will ruin a coyote or a prairie dogs day LOL !

Model 19's from my understanding do not hold up well to the heavier .357 mag loads.

The S&W Mdl# 19 had it's difficulties with hot jacketed 125 gr. loads with fast powders cracking forcing cones. Iv'e never heard any problems with cast boolits of any weight in the Mdl#19

Quote Originally Posted by DerekP Houston View Post
    Along the same lines...does anyone have a good load/caliber use for blue dot? I have a few lbs as well gathering dust I'd like to use up
    I use it in 30-06, 14 grains with either an RCBS 180 gr. or the Lyman 311284. Geezer memory! Shot some Saturday and can't remember which boolit.

Along the same lines...does anyone have a good load/caliber use for blue dot? I have a few lbs as well gathering dust I'd like to use up
    Check the thread I started a while back after finding a 5 pound jug of Blue Dot for $25.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-with-Blue-Dot

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    200 grain LRN (Lead Round Nose)
    2400 7.0 gr. 870 fps
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by medic15al View Post
    The only loads I want to do in 357 is +P level or 145 grain Silvertip level.(and .38 spl target loads in 357 cases) I have no interest in bucking recoil anymore... I've grown older to like creature comforts over hard adventure!!!!
    If you want a revolver that will use these slower powders you will want be at a more than midrange pressure.

If you want a revover that will do this without much recoil, you either need a heavy 357 or you can consider going down in size to a 327 but staying in a full sized gun.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If you have a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible with the .45 ACP cylinder, 9 grains of Blue Dot with a #454424 SWC gives full charge .45 Long Colt ballistics in the ACP case and a clean burn. DO NOT use this load in an M1911 as it is a frame cracker!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    10 grains of Blue Dot behind a 200 grain SWC works well in 45 ACP carbines. You can get over 1200 FPS with ease, but it's not a load i'd shoot in a handgun.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I was going to say but was beaten to it - Blue Dot sounds good for pistol caliber carbines maybe?

Boolit Master

I seem to remember that the S&W Model 19 was designed as a lighter carry gun for Police Officers who wanted .357Mag power in a lighter gun.
    The idea was they would practice with std .38Spl loads and carry .357Mag loads for on duty work.
    In the early 1970's the idea changed to practice with the same .357Mag loads that were carried on duty.
    Well after a couple of years the Model 19's were starting to shoot loose.
    So they came out with the L - Frame guns.
    It came full circle. A smaller frame then the N - Frame that was replaced by the K - Frame.
    Except with the full underlug the L - Frame weighed just as much as an N - Frame.

I've owned a model 19 for over 40yrs, It's as tight as the day I bought it. I haven't fired a full powered .357Mag load in it in at least 35+yrs. I reserve full power .357Mag loads for my Model 27's, COLT SAA & NM BlackHawks.
    Never bothered with Blue Dot. Just use the 3 Powders, that have worked so well. Bullseye, Unique & 2400.
    For hot Carbine loads my std full power. 357Mag load works just fine, LYMAN #358156GC over 14grs of 2400. Feeds great and is accurate as you can ask for.

For the Model 19 I feed it LYMAN # 358429 over 6.0grs UNIQUE. Great Heavy plinking load, accurate too.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I use Bulleyes , work very well

I have a few loads that I developed for 38spl and BlueDot. It was a pretty good powder for the 38 actually. Here's a snapshot from my notes....Use at your own risk.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38spl.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	225549

[EDIT] - Just for your info...I was shooting 38spl +P in my revolver...so it is possible that these loads were over the SAAMI spec for the standard 38spl....again...Use at your own risk.

redhawk
    Last edited by redhawk0; 08-15-2018 at 09:24 AM.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned
    I share Al's opinion, Blue Dot can be used in some magnum handgun cartridges but it's sort of a powder without a cartridge.

If you're just trying to use it up, I would be inclined to find a shotshell load that it was suitable for instead of trying to find a handgun load to burn it in.

Talking about powders in search of a cartridge, Several years ago I purchased a pound of Vihta Vuori 3N38 (not 3N37). I still have about 3/4 of that pound. Not the most useful powder on the planet
    It will eventually make its way into enough 40 S&W casings that I can use it up without feeling like I wasted it. (I don't shoot a lot of 40 S&W) It's just one of those powders that is too slow for most handgun applications and I don't use pistols with compensators.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    If you have a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible with the .45 ACP cylinder, 9 grains of Blue Dot with a #454424 SWC gives full charge .45 Long Colt ballistics in the ACP case and a clean burn. DO NOT use this load in an M1911 as it is a frame cracker!
    Would this be a go or no-go load in a Smith 625 in AR cases?
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Boolit Master

Wayne,
    I advise against it. You never know ? But sometimes "special loads" have a way of working there way into guns they weren't designed/loaded for.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Well I be dog gone, here I have been using Bluedot in my Ruger police service six behind 170 gr. FMJ and 158 gr. JHP and didn't even know I was getting it all wrong. Pigs, jackrabbits, cottonmouth water moccasins, rattlesnakes, and prairie dogs couldn't tell the difference. They were loaded pretty hot.

Boolit Bub
    The Speer # 8 manual has some rather exciting loads for 158 grain cast lead bullets with slower powders and impressive (1000-1250 fps) velocities. I have noted these loads have been mitigated in later issues. Still I remember shooting the 2400 load in a 1960s era S&W M15 without incident. Not sure if it would be wise for extended use. The manual does not list them as "+p" levels, but I don't think the term existed then. One should keep old manuals.

I'm not going to post them, but I will divulge the information privately upon request. It is in a reputable loading manual.
    Go peacefully; teach the ignorant, comfort the distressed. Always be kind. Wear clean underwear and carry a gun.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I was just going to try working up a nearly identical load, but with a Lee 452-252-SWC. Is it really that much harder on guns than a 230 grain bullet? I was going to shoot them in my Sig P220. Maybe a heavier recoil spring would help? Most loads I plan to use are a 200 grain at a sedate velocity. The big bullets would be more for woods carry, I wouldn't be shooting thousands or even hundreds of them.

I used to load 2400 in .38 Spl. but, it was mostly in +p level loads. I loaded 7.5 gr. to about 9.0 gr. with a 158 gr. cast. I got good accuracy too.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Master

For me... 2400 in a 38? No way man. Now give me a 41 mag and 2400 will make it talk with a heavy boolit and a good crimp. But, if you want to make it yell? H110.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast