Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You guys aren't nice

Boolit Master

You guys aren't nice

First of all I want you folks to know I don't like you. About a year ago I was rear ended by a big rig. I was stopped and he was playing with his phone. I broke most of my ribs along with 4 fractures in my back. Poor me. That however is not what this is about. I spent a month in the hospital, got enough hardware installed on my spine to build a bridge. Upon my release I had to spend 6 months in a brace. Well, for those of you who have never had to do this it is boring! So, Cast Boolits to the rescue. I read the stickies. I read all about lubes and coatings, I read about loads for military rifles, I looked at all the funny stuff in the pit. Now, up to that point I only loaded for pistol and rifle. No shotgun for me. I'm not that dumb. They are just too cheap at Walmart. But, I was bored. So I started reading this stupid casting for shotgun section. I hope you evil people are happy. These are my first slugs. I just ordered a mount for the Mec loader I got at the gun club swap meet. Oh boy, what have you done to me?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slugs.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	222539
    I made these with a load from BPI. Lee 7/8 slug, 24.1 grains Red Dot, BPI PT1205 wad. I roll crimped it with a crimper from SlugRUs.

Oh crud, I'm hooked. I hope you are happy!!!
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Just wait til you start dripping your own shot....Glad you were able to get the addition.

All I can say is you will become so addicted to making slugs and building some great loads. You done a outstanding job on your loads and those roll crimps look amazing

Boolit Master

Hah! Another victim, uh, ur, junkie.....uh welcome to BIG Lead! Yes we weigh our lead in ounces! Hint: with all that hardware in your back don't listen to Bikerbeans unless someone's there who knows how to put all those pieces back where they belong! Or Bloodtrail. Or supermegamagnum. Or Leadhead 500. Claim disability before loading slugs over 1 1/2 ounces.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Hah! Another victim, uh, ur, junkie.....uh welcome to BIG Lead! Yes we weigh our lead in ounces! Hint: with all that hardware in your back don't listen to Bikerbeans unless someone's there who knows how to put all those pieces back where they belong! Or Bloodtrail. Or supermegamagnum. Or Leadhead 500. Claim disability before loading slugs over 1 1/2 ounces.
    Yes, this is going to be a problem. I guess I need to put a socket set in the truck to tighten my back. There is that problem you don't know about. When I open the safe there sits my fathers 10ga staring at me. I wonder just how strong those rods in my back are...?
    Remember the Law of Probability - The probability of being watched is directly proportional to the stupidity of your act.

Boolit Master

Don't think there are any better people in the factory rifles forum either. This week I acquired nice coated 9mm bullets, brass, dies, small pistol primers and powder to load. My plan is to tell my wife, "look at all these boolits I've got. I just gotta buy that Ruger PC9 carbine now so they won't go to waste." I'll let you know how that goes. So yeah, lay down with dogs, get up with fleas!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Ohhhh, 10 gauge that’s a whole new world in the slug and buckshot game. I load hundreds of 3.5 inch 10 gauge with number 4 buck and 000 buck a year and they will for sure take you to your limits on the back end

Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    Yes, this is going to be a problem. I guess I need to put a socket set in the truck to tighten my back. There is that problem you don't know about. When I open the safe there sits my fathers 10ga staring at me. I wonder just how strong those rods in my back are...?
    I know a guy that has a mold that casts 1.7 oz fullbore hollowbase 10ga slugs.

BB
    Last edited by bikerbeans; 06-22-2018 at 11:02 PM.

Boolit Master

This seems contagious; a fellow member and friend and neighbor has been bitten by this casting for shotguns, and looking at some of his work got me thinking; which is dangerous! A few years back my buddy offered to sell me one of his shotgun presses; we will be going to the coon dog trials together in September.....

I just made that same load from the BPI manual. Shoots nice, Not terrible on the shoulder. And yeah, this stuff is addicting.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, don't go into the rifle area. Then you get into alloys with copper, different lubes, different gas checks, nose sizing. Do you lube just one groove or two?

I never found rifle shooting fun at all.

Boolit Master
    Bad enough on the Forum, but a week ago I went over to my next door neighbor's place to get a piece of sheet metal for shielding a turkey frier burner and came home with a Hornady 366 press. I've spent about half the week cleaning and adjusting. Got the smelting done the next day, though.

welcome to the madness LOL, your slugs look super
    Last edited by copdills; 06-23-2018 at 12:48 AM. Reason: more message

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Should a stayed in bed!

NAAAAAAAA.

Glad you are doing better.

And glad you are joining us “casting fools” !

Bangerjim

Super Moderator

...............foesgth, I simply wanted to add my welcome to the board along with a wish and a prayer for your continued healing. But yes, sometimes guys around here can be 1st class instigators. It may add to your capabilities, but can also have serious effects on your time and bank account.

I'd been reloading shotshells for several years. Just simple 'Claybird loads' to casually shoot with buddies at hand thrown clay birds out on some property in the sticks. Next thing (similar to you and slugs) I thought it would be fun to shoot slugs. Not that I have a legitimate, real honest to God NEED for doing so, but there ya go. So after seeing the "Hull Vise" that BPI sells ............ well heck, I decided to make one. Before that I bought a rifled 20" 12ga bbl for my Mossberg M500:

It's a bit over engineered, but I had the material I ended up buying both the Lee slug moulds. But one thing leads to another and decided to make myself a slug mould too!

After machining the blocks, I set them up in the lathe to bore the cavity. And the finished cavities.

I set it up for a captive core pin like the Lee types. The left photo is obviously the bottom view.

This is the slug it drops. It weighs 525 grs so it's a bit less then an ounce and a quarter.

This is a scrap slug I drove through the barrel. I loaded 2 rounds for a test, and the only thing ever hit with the slug was a 2 liter pop bottle full of water at 20 yards. Great fun! That was a couple years ago, and I haven't cast or loaded any since. Other stuff seems to get in the way.

The above is a Lyman 12 ga slug mould I altered for a guy maybe 15 years ago or so. He wanted to fire it through a rifled barrel and wanted it to be 'Fatter', so it got some drive bands added. This was early in my machining career and I screwed it up. He was wanting only 3 bands so it would carry more lube. Gotta mind those decimal places and pay attention twirling the handles! However he was apparently happy with it as he said it worked, and that's what counts in the end.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Nailed him, hook line and sinker! Yeeeeeeeeeeeehaw!

Enjoy brother!

FYI I run almost exactly that same slug load. I went a couple of grains lighter on powder.
    More of a tactical load. Easier on old shoulders. Still easy to put together. And I am going to throw in a <Salute> to the good people at BPI!

Boolit Master

Oh sure Mr. Buckshot. If you have a lathe, milling machine and talent you can whip something like that out in no time. It takes a true shade tree talent to make a high tech device like I use. Plywood and hunks of inner tube high tech.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clamp.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	222598

Boolit Master
    I FEEL your pain!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by foesgth View Post
    As a registered nurse who has spent more than a little bit of time working the rehab unit, let me tell you, "You don't want to find out! Play nice!"
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    As a registered nurse who has spent more than a little bit of time working the rehab unit, let me tell you, "You don't want to find out! Play nice!"
    The pluss side of reloading. Back off the slug weight and charge until you can handle it. My wife has back problems (no where near those problems thought) and i have low recoil loads for her so she can play skeet with me.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast