MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range Lead Remelt

Boolit Bub
    For my range lead smelting i run 2 14" dutch ovens over 225k burners. I start with an inch or 2 of solid lead in the bottom of each pot and put a dose of material in. The stuff i have seems to be very heavy on jackets so i don't fill the pot all the way. Once i bring it up to temp i skim the jackets and then turn the pot off and let it slush up. Add another batch of material and repeat. I keep doing these smaller batches until i have a good pot full of molten then i flux and cast out my ingots. I use an ingot mold that holds about 70 lbs(4 bricks) so it empties the pot quick. I found that even with the cool down time i can go faster than over filling the pot where i cant get a good stir. Getting the jackets and other scrap stirred down into the hot molten seems to be the most effective way to melt everything down.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    I overfill the pot initially, as in mounding it up, when it's melted down and the crud is cleaned out (range scrap, so very dirty!)
    My pot is a little bigger than a propane cylinder and with wheel weights I mound it up too. Experience will help but with wheel weights I stack all that will stay on top. I expect range lead or scrap sheet lead to be about the same. Once melted with the clips skimmed off I have a couple of inches of space to allow stirring and fluxing. Having a heavy lid would no doubt help it to melt faster. I load my pot first and spend the waiting time setting up the landing zone and arranging the ingot molds.

We might be half a world apart but we obviously think alike .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12