Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Standard HD Military

High Standard HD Military

I have had a HD for 50 yrs. Fine shooting 22 pistol. I'm not a expert on working on
    Hi-STDs even though I've owned several of them. I just got another one that had a
    Bubba job on safety lever, brazed extension. Any way I got ahold of some parts for
    HD, had to buy them all to get what I needed. What I can't find is original drawing
    and parts list for HD. I think there may be changes made to this pistol. The drawings
    I can find in Numerich and Jack First are not complete and don't show all the parts.
    It seems no matter where you find it, it's a copy of Numerich or Jack 1st. Does anyone
    know if there are variations or changes made to the HD? I have frame and barrel of
    another one and decided to try to put it together with the extra parts. Slides are not
    that hard to come by, it's the small parts that are. Other than springs most small
    Parts are $20-$40 @. Don't want to be buying up a lot of wrong parts. I already had
    a buddy by me model B parts by mistake that cost me $50, can't stand much more
    of those kind of mistakes.

Boolit Grand Master

I am looking for and adjustable rear sight for an HD. If that is one of the items you have as a spare maybe we can work something out.

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/ord/

http://www.histandard.info/

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in another lifetime I collected pre-War and immediate post-War models of the High Standard. There were three Models that had the "HD" designation, pre-War (simply called the HD) War Time, government owned (HD USA) and post-War (HD Military.)

Note that the HD Military wasn't actually military like the Colt Government Model is actually commercial. The pre-War is easily spotted because it lacks the external thumb safety. Most of the parts fit all three models within the usual level of manufacturing tolerance, however the pre-War hammer and sear were unique because of the lack of a safety, and the wartime and post-War models had a different basic design from the pre-War and there were a couple of variations within their production. There are other differences between the internals but those are the biggest.

There are about three good books on the High Standard, but my amphibian memory doesn't seem able to pull them all out at this moment... the only one I remember for sure was Charles Petty.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Army TM of Vietnam era covered disassembly and maintenance of the can on the HD-USA " Gary Powers" gun. I once had one but left it with the squadron when I rotated CONUS.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Bub
    Maybe this will help. If the link works.

http://www.histandard.info/manuals/h.../0113D200R.pdf

The fate of the current High Standard Corporation is somewhat in doubt. You can always contact Allan at https://interarmstx.com for help and parts.

I could kick myself in the butt over those manuals. I went to USSADs for small arms training in
    70 and they gave us TMs and FMs for all US small arms both issue and special issue. I have some
    left but sold most of them. The 22 pistol manual was 1st to go. By accident I still have 22 rifle
    manual that has several different BA 22s in it. My original HD, I found in bottom of my duffel bag.
    I have no idea of its history, no govt markings. I do know it spent time in USMC in RVN, I saw the
    truck it bounced out of with USMC on door I didn't realize it landed in my duffle bag until I got back to USA. This is why I think they must have had changes in the model. I know the difference
    of safety parts in the different models. The B parts I bought by mistake have safety and screw. They are not close to HD parts, the only thing the same is thread size of safety screw. They are
    a PIA period. If you get bearing surface to short the safety will be seized when screw bottoms out.
    If to long the lever will be to loose and detent will pas over its stop and lever will hang down like
    a mud flap.

The safety lever on both guns are identical. The screw is same also. That's my problem the screw
    I got with parts is just a hair longer on bearing surface that safety lever pivots on. Shortening the
    Threaded portion would solve nothing. Bearing surface would bottom out on frame. I spent hours
    making a bushing to put under screw head. Making a bushing

Boolit Master
    I have a HD Military that was missing the take down lever. It's all assembled,, yet,, I can not take it apart. I've discussed this issue off & on over the years with different folks. Including former, long time HS guru Bob Shea. Even he said is was a big problem to take one apart if the take down lever was out & the gun in assembled condition.
    So,,, if ANYBODY here has any good advice on how to do this,,,I'd appreciate any help I may get.

Boolit Grand Master
    Somewhere in my chowder boxes I have what I believe is the takedown lever you mention, contender1, only with the little knob missing. It could at least be used to properly disassemble your gun IF it hasn't already gotten too badly jumbled inside. Don't ask me how I know about THAT eventuality!

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Hey,, it's worth a try,,,!

Boolit Grand Master
    Contender1, against all odds I was able to find the remnant of a take down lever that I remembered stashing away back when I fooled with early High Standards. Drop me a PM with your snail mail and I'll throw it in an envelope and mail it to you in the interest of keeping another old H-S in operation.

Regards,
    Froggie

Boolit Master
    Wow Froggie,,, MANY thanks! Pm to follow!

Boolit Grand Master
    PM received today. I should get the part in the mail in the next day or so. Just hoping it will work out for you.

Regards,
    Froggie

Boolit Mold
    I finally acquired an HD military and aClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191219_094648398.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	253261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191219_094542347.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	253262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191219_094606975.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	253263m very proud of it, however the rear site does not look correct. Can someone take a look at it?

Boolit Grand Master
    That is definitely NOT an original HD Military (ie post WW II, commercial issue) rear sight. I can't make out the slide markings on your gun... does it say "HD Military" or "HD USA?" If the latter, the rear sight should look just like that on a Colt 1911 A1, if the former, it should have a semi-adjustable sight that was proprietary to the High Standards.

Froggie

Boolit Mold

Rear site

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    That is definitely NOT an original HD Military (ie post WW II, commercial issue) rear sight. I can't make out the slide markings on your gun... does it say "HD Military" or "HD USA?" If the latter, the rear sight should look just like that on a Colt 1911 A1, if the former, it should have a semi-adjustable sight that was proprietary to the High Standards.

Froggie
    It says HD Military this is a bummer. How easy is it to find a correct site

Boolit Grand Master

I am currently out of town so I can't measure but the slot looks wide?? I may have a spare adjustable at home.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 12-20-2019 at 12:10 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    One of our gunship pilots had a suppressed HD.He was KIA.I helped a Warrant Officer inventory his belongings and pointed out that the pistol shouldn't be shipped.I was told we had no choice but to ship it.I placed it in the foot locker and it was shipped to his parents.I doubt if they ever realized what it was.I do wonder what happened to it.

Boolit Master

A little info.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E421F32D-666E-45F7-9B13-709FBE0B4494.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	253280

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sellers34 View Post
    I finally acquired an HD military and aClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191219_094648398.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	253261Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191219_094542347.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	253262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191219_094606975.jpg 
Size:	33.1 KB 
ID:	253263m very proud of it, however the rear site does not look correct. Can someone take a look at it?
    I'll confirm that rear sight is not correct. My guess is it's a fixed rear sight from another High Standard model. If they didn't modify the dovetail you might be able to find an original. The HD Military rear sights are often found broken. Owners don't realize there's a set screw accessed from under the (open) slide that locks the odd vertical adjustment. It sort of looks like the rear sight can be adjusted by just moving it, and that's what owners try, and they break it.

The proper rear sight:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	High-Standard-H-D-HD-Military-FACTORY-ORIGINAL-Dovetail.jpg 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	253284

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the good info I will continue my search.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast