RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: 44 magnum and Red Dot powder

Banned

44 magnum and Red Dot powder

Ok, I've tried 231 with 215gr SWC cast bullets and with about 9.3 grains it seems accurate. Just loaded some with 10 gr of Unique with the 215 gr bullet and need to try them. Have some Red Dot I would like to try with this 215 SWC bullet. If I am correct I think I found some loads for the 240 Gr SWC bullet with 6.5 gr of Red Dot but that seems kinda high maybe? So does anyone have any proven 215 Gr SWC loads for the 44Mag?

Boolit Master
    The older Hercules reloader guides have 44 mag , red dot data but not for 215
    They recommend 10% reduction to start
    With a 180 jhp they show a max of 10 grains
    With a 200 jhp max 9.7
    With 225 jhp max 8.2
    From 1992 Hercules Reloaders Guide
    Sorry in 44 mag my loads are all 240 grain and up.
    Perhaps this will give you some ideas for a place to start a work up or another member may worked with a 215 cast.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The .44 Magnum and .44-40 have almost identical case capacity and there are no issues using modern, pressure-tested .44-40 load data as published in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition (2010) on p. 208 where they show a Group 2 (+P) load for the 1892 Winchester with the #42798 bullet 205 grains in #2 alloy with 8 grains of Red Dot for 1290 fps and 21,900 cup. While that is a max. .44-40 load which shouldn't be exceeded in the '92 Winchester, substituting a 215-grain bullet in the .44 Magnum with that isn't going to spike pressure above the SAAMI MAP for that cartridge. I would not increase that charge in the .44 Mag. case in the absence of pressure tested data.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Moderator Emeritus

+I consider my 250 gr cast and 6.5 gr Red Dot a mild target load getting near 1000 fps. If I drop it to near 6 I get sooting. I don't think 6.5 with a 240 gr is high at all.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned
    I don't have my 240 gr mold back yet so all I have is my 215Gr mold thus the curiosity on loading for the 215.

It isn't fast but 4.9 RedDot and a 200 Lee RNFP is really accurate in my .44

Hey 6bg6ga
    The Lyman 215gr sw is a standard for us shooting Lawnsteel. Into a 44 mag cartridge with 5.0gr of either Red dot or Promo, run through one of many Ruger super Blackhawks. This revolver load yields 810fps as an average with single digit sd. It is pinpoint accurate from 50 to 75yds with no change in poa or poi. Something to note is the use of an alloy softer than #2 is needed for proper obturation. Such a small charge needs to be positioned rearward prior to firing. There is around 50fps velocity difference between charge back and front position. We shoot steel, this load carries well. You asked for proven loads, this load is used regularly in revolvers, playing Lawnsteel. For closed breach handguns, the charge is even lower. hth
    Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gunarea View Post
    Hey 6bg6ga
    The Lyman 215gr sw is a standard for us shooting Lawnsteel. Into a 44 mag cartridge with 5.0gr of either Red dot or Promo, run through one of many Ruger super Blackhawks. This revolver load yields 810fps as an average with single digit sd. It is pinpoint accurate from 50 to 75yds with no change in poa or poi. Something to note is the use of an alloy softer than #2 is needed for proper obturation. Such a small charge needs to be positioned rearward prior to firing. There is around 50fps velocity difference between charge back and front position. We shoot steel, this load carries well. You asked for proven loads, this load is used regularly in revolvers, playing Lawnsteel. For closed breach handguns, the charge is even lower. hth
    Roy
    Good to know. I was thinking about starting around 5 grains but didn't know if it was too small a charge. You have me wondering now when you mentioned it has to be positioned rearward prior to firing. I believe I have shot 5.5 gr of Red Dot behind a 250gr SWC in my 45LC. You question ignition with 5gr in the 44 mag?

Boolit Master

gunarea

Are you shooting the Lee 21 grainer or the Lyman 429215 ?

The 215 is the first boolit I ever cast way back in the 60s.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Hey Guys
    The Lyman 429215 is the most accurate of the "light" 44s we have found, at Lawnsteel target range. The Lee 200gr rnfp "Cowboy bullet" comes in second. Our use is on steel targets and here weight adds whomp. Both slugs come out a bit heavier with the soft alloy needed. In my quest for lead efficient paper target hole punching, lighter was better at relatively close range. Out past 35yds, on steel, lighter did not perform well. Any Lawnsteel shooter, playing in large caliber, knows the 429215.
    No ignition issues in 44 mag cases. 45lc has even greater case capacity and shows larger velocity variations. In 45lc ignition lag did occur with forward propellant location, but these light loads don't spike enough to challenge modern firearms. Heavier projectiles reduce case capacity when maintaining consistent SAMI oal dimensions. Front and rear propellant locations will yield different average velocities. This difference decreases with longer projectiles reducing the case capacity. The Lyman 315gr sw only shows about -20fps front vs rear location.
    You got me T.C., nearly all my stuff is considered either "Vintage" or "Antique". Heck, the press referred to as my "New Press" is an original RL 300. Mike talked me into buying it over the phone. Please, use this info and tell us all, about your results.
    Roy
    Last edited by gunarea; 12-21-2019 at 08:34 AM.
    Shoot often, Shoot well.