MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any tips for tightening up my cast boolit groups with my ruger 77/44?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Brownels told me to give the acraglass a week to get to 90-95 % to dry and keep it in warm place. After that it will take a month to a month and a half for total hardness. The tech told me if his is over 10 years old it gets thrown out. Mine has to be around 15-18 years old. I was told it will still work but takes longer to cure being the chemical properties have broken down over the years.

I'll check it towards the end of the week and see if it's getting harder.

Boolit Master
    Bedding and trigger work will only go so far.
    My experience with Rugers suggests that you’ll need to remove the barrel, face it down two threads, and recut the throat to get the accuracy you seek.

My 77/357 shot near MOA 5-shots with jacketed 158gr spts, but only 3.5-5” with cast. It had a short abrupt throat. Prices spiked on the 77/357’s so it found a new home.

I headed to the range to try out my bedding job. My first three shot group that I shot 2" at 100 yards using 23.8gr with w296 last week once again shot a 2" group so no changes after my bedding job and free floating the barrel. I then tried the 22.5 GR load with the same powder that I placed two shots together last week and the third shot 3.5" to the left. The first three shot group measured 2 1/4" and the second group with the same load shot just under 2.5". So my bedding and free floating helped this load. I'm going to try this rifle with a different optic. I have an old leupold vx11 3x9 that was given to me that is currently on this rifle. The ocular bell was loose and when I got it. I've tried to adjust it to get a clear focus picture at a 100 yards but it still stays a little fuzzy no matter how much to try. I'm going to throw on one of my Nikon 3.5x14 and retest. My guess is it's not going to get much,if any better but worth a try. I bought the rifle new and have about a 150-200 cast GC boolits through it but no j words. I'm going to buy a factory loaded box of jacketed ammo and try it. I wanted to see if it's capable of MOA with j words or if this is the best it gets.

I switched optics on it yesterday and I also lightened the trigger up even more. Had a 15 mph hour cross wind this morning but figured it would blow around a 270gr boolit. I tried four different loads and did get under MOA using 21gr of h110 and a boolit that is 7.5BH. Of course my brass is always trimmed to the same length but I didn't inform the primer pockets. Ill save that for another day and a target rifle.

21gr h110, 100 yards with a 7.5 bh boolit, the rest of the groups below were shot with 13.5 bh ...

23.8gr of W296, 100 yards...

22.5gr of h110, 100 yards...

23.8gr of h110, 100 yards...

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-29-2018 at 02:21 PM.

I forgot this target, was in the back seat. another 100 yd group with either 23.8gr of w296 or 22.5gr using h110. sorry don't remember. After i shot the .8' group i was too excited to pay attention to some of the larger groups.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-29-2018 at 02:27 PM.

Boolit Master

Looks good to me. You will run out of trajectory before you run out of accuracy, if that makes any sense!

Boolit Master
    Aim little, miss little!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12