Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxPBcastcoRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fast food tipping??

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Besides, Washington as well as the other left coast states have instituted $15/hr min have they not? Not tipping someone what took me 10yrs of hard work to get.
    This is relative. I was making $15 an hour when I was 18yo. I agree that someone working a menial fast food job shouldn’t be making $15 an hour. But $15 an hour is a starting wage in most trades these days. Around here you can start out higher due to a severe lack of people wanting to actually work.

Boolit Master

Yes, the cost of living sure varies a lot. I started out green with my current employer nearly twenty years ago for more than that. When you factor in inflation, it was a lot more than that. That's not to belittle anyone earning less; a big part of that is the high cost of living. I talked to my sister in Indiana one day and we were comparing cost of living in our respective areas. Her mortgage payment, including taxes, were just slightly more than my property taxes alone! I can't imagine starting out at $15/hr now, around here. With the lower cost of living in Indiana it's probably decent money.

Sure, I can't imagine trying to make ends meet in Seattle on $15/hr, but those entry level, minimum wage jobs are not intended to be make-ends-meet kind of jobs. I'd like my kids to be able to get that kind of job when they're old enough, just to get a little experience and make a few dollars as they're finishing school. If they're still working there much longer than that, I'll be very disappointed and wonder where I went wrong as a father.

There are a lot of good people in this country working very hard for $15 (or less). Once you mandate that McDonalds pay $15/hr, there's going to be plenty of skilled, mature people that say to themselves "Why am I working so hard here when I can make as much flipping burgers?" McDonalds will hire one skilled adult to replace two teenagers, or when they automate, they'll hire one to replace five. Then where are the jobs for the teenagers, inexperienced, and unskilled workers? They have to know that this will end up costing jobs for the very people they say they want to help.

Boolit Master
    My first education in tipping came when my mother took me to a Chinese restaurant that fit my image of a speak-easy. The entry door was in a short hallway with no advertising or store name beside it. Apparently all the locals knew where to find the joint. Inside the door everything appeared dim, very low lights. We walked up to the checkout counter where I saw a bowl with a sign beside it that stated "To Insure Promptness". My mother explained that if the customer needed to eat and get back to work quickly, faster service comes with a bigger advance tip. For a slower, more relaxed pace, no tip in advance, decide about any tip after the meal is over. Those images still linger with me 65 years after the education.

SWMBO always checks our bill when it arrives as more eateries are automatically adding the price of a tip into the check. I get angry when that happens and will not leave any additional tip at the table because of it. I frequently tip more than the standard rate because I will support those people willing (needing) to work rather than those who will not. I prefer to hand the tip directly to the server rather than leave it at the table. Many restaurants pool and divide their tips among good and bad servers. I prefer to let the server know they worked well.

Tipping at a fast food restaurant? I never have and cannot see any reason to start now. Beyond that, others' comments about advance tipping to get faster seating, a better table (better view, etc), or other assistance will stay with me. Guess I'll never be too old to learn and this sounds like a fine plan, applied as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Then where are the jobs for the teenagers, inexperienced, and unskilled workers?
    The teens of today are not interested in working part time jobs for spending money, they expect that from their parents. Besides in Seattle if they work when will they have time to protest/block traffic.

Boolit Master

Fast food tipping??

The only fast food place that has ever impressed me with their service is Chick-fil-a. I’ve not noticed a tip jar, or a spot on the receipt to leave a tip. Occasionally I’ll notice a local or state charity, but not a place to tip the workers/servers themselves.

As far as tipping servers I try to always tip 15-20% when the situation warrants it. I also always try to tip with cash even when paying for the meal with a card. I’m not sure if it is standard but I know a number of the local places take the 2-3% credit card fee out of the waiters/waitress tip. Now that just does not seem right.

I understand all the reasons not to raise minimum wage, and to instead pursue a career not a job. I can also see a lot of the arguments for it.

I think the real problem is our currency. Back in the 1960s minimum was around a $1.15 per hour. Adjusted for inflation that would be about $9.75. Keep in mind back in the 60s $1 was equal to 1 oz of silver. I think the current spot value on silver is about $15-16 per oz. Our currency is broken and does not buy what it used to. Don’t blame the people asking for “living wage” blame the system that created this currency mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 06-25-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Grand Master

Fast food tipping??

Quote Originally Posted by Walkingwolf View Post
    The teens of today are not interested in working part time jobs for spending money, they expect that from their parents.
    Want to paint tens of millions w/ an even broader brush? As the father of a current teenager I can tell you that both my stepdaughter and her friends want and have jobs. My stepdaughter tried to get a job starting at fifteen. No one would hire her. The jobs I had as a teenager are now filled by adults. She’s had a hard time finding jobs. Not due to lack of trying. Due to lack of companies not hiring teenagers.

And who’s really to blame if a child expects handouts from their parents? The child or the parents that hand them the money? If they’re raised to expect handouts then the parents are to blame. If they’re lazy and want handouts then the child is to blame. The older generations have said the same thing about the younger generations forever. Apparently my generation never wanted to work and we were worthless. Funny considering we make up a large portion of the workforce and are funding the Ponzi scheme known as Social Security that the older generations are currently collecting.

I so dislike eating at most fast food places any more as most of the employees just don't care a flip about providing a quality product. One exception that comes to mind (there are likely more) is Chick-fil-A. Those folks are usually very customer oriented and the encounter is usually a pleasant exchange of goods/services for money. Most others have a filthy looking/smelling restaurant staffed with less than presentable employees (they just need a live body) who don't care about providing me with a high quality product, don't care about me or my money, and just waiting for the their shift to be over. Anymore, I just try to eat at home or bring leftovers. Tip for just bringing food to the table? No Way. Tip for going out of their way to provide me a high quality product? Likely.

Boolit Master
    No tips for fast food no way.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    This is relative. I was making $15 an hour when I was 18yo. I agree that someone working a menial fast food job shouldn’t be making $15 an hour. But $15 an hour is a starting wage in most trades these days. Around here you can start out higher due to a severe lack of people wanting to actually work.
    No, it is not relative. I was speaking towards unskilled entry level jobs not a skilled trade. The $15 is also an artificial level set by government not market forces and the results of this misguided policy are clear. Less available jobs and increased automation. The progressive just can not seem to get it through their heads that people and businesses will not sit back and happily succumb to their schemes.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234