Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storing lubed boolits

Boolit Buddy

Storing lubed boolits

Do you guys size and lube all of your bullets in a big batch or just size and lube what you're going to reload. Just ordered some carnauba blue and am going to start casting for my 44 on Monday. Will the lube stay in the grooves for extended times. Does storing them all in like a bucket or jar squish or scrape much lube out of them. In my previous ventures with casting I pan lubed 45-70 and left them in the lube until I loaded and then I'd push them out and load it. Got a couple of Lyman 45s now so I won't be storing bullets in lube blocks anymore.
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

Boolit Master
    I use a tacky lube, so I size and lube as needed right before I load.

Boolit Master

I like to do in batches this is the lube i use keeps a long time http://www.lsstuff.com/store/index.p...products_id=17
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

I just made high/low counts of everything based on usage. That way i can restock before i rund out.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Here's how I stock mine "lubed".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC boolits.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	222494

Boolit Man
    I size and lube all I make for a particular caliber or boolit usually at one time and I store all my lubed/sized boolits in those little pencil boxes you can get at an office supply store if you catch them on sale they are worth the money, I havent bought any in awhile so not up on curren cost.
    Most of the ones I have will hold 250-300 45 boolits i set them in there on their base and as close together as possible the shorter ones like a 452460 i double stack with a piece of wax paper between. I stack these boxes on a heavy duty shelf in the shop where my little loading room is I have it closed off from the rest of the shop but it still gets dusty in there, these boxes do a good job of keeping the dirt out and the lube frome getting gouged out by other boolits, its a little extra work but its worth it to me.

I have a bunch of commercial cast 45 200 gr. semi wadcutters that i got in a trade they had some kind of junk in the lube groove that might pass more for asphalt than boolit lube I washed all that gunk out and relubed with lar45’s BAC, I stored all of them loose in whatever empty container I could find that had a decent lid on it( coffee cans, peanut butter jars,cashew cans,etc......) with no ill effect but those boolits are cast harder than a goat horn (thats off the BHN chart by the way), BAC is an excellent pistol lube for me and stays put, as in not a whole lot of it gets gouged out, by other boolits rubbing against it.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Boolit Buddy
    Definitely won't be powder coating any of mine. I took a 6 or so year hiatus from casting and the forum and when I get back everyone is painting their bullets. Kinda reminds me of those "donk" cars where someone takes a nice old Monte Carlo that was really great how it was and slaps some stupid 30" rims on it. I load cast for more nostalgic reasons and I don't think blue purple or green bullets belong in a 45-70. But I guess a lot of the world has changed in the past 5 or 6 years and we just have to accept people for who they are.
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

Boolit Master

I like cigar boxes personnally, but the store stopped giving them to me. These locking samwhich boxes also work good.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I generally run all the bullets at one time. I store then in whatever container I can find with a lid on it. I use quart containers I get from a restaurant supply store
    that are sold for take out, they will hold 4 or 500 .38 bullets. The wife has been saving me some larger containers that have oxi-boost detergent for cloths. These things will
    hold large qtys. of .45 bullets.

I store these indoors in my reloading room. I use Carnauba blue & Randy's Tac-1. The lube stays put.

I have used cigar boxes from time to time but the cigar store sells them for a $1 or 2.

Boolit Grand Master

I use a soft lube so I size, lube and stack them neatly base down and side by side in plastic containers.
    Usually there is room for two layers separated by a piece of thin cardboard . Loaded up with a snap on plastic lid they will keep for years , ready to be loaded.
    I do not just dump them all helter skelter into a zip loc bag , can or bucket. You can get more bullets into a container by stacking them neatly side by side.
    I cast when I have the time. I lube size when I can get aroundtoit.....and not all of us have abandoned the conventional lubricants. I don't care for cooking up colored boolits . The Lyman 450 was paid for decades ago . There was a poll around on this...going to see if I can find it.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    In plastic bags in plastic storage boxes .keeps them fresh!

Boolit Master
    I bought 5 boxes with locking lids from Hobby Lobby the other day and put some 30/30 handloads into one and started filling another with sized and lubed 9 mm boolits. I was putting my 9mm into an old Tupperware box that I've had since 1970, but filled it. Plus, the new box will be a bit more convenient when I go to load some more rounds.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Mason jars...

Boolit Master

Storing Lubed Boolits

After I size and lube my boolits, I do a double coating of BLL and after drying they go into small trays that I built from scrap lumber. They hold the weight and stack nicely.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    I like the tray method too. Keeps the boolits separate while they cure and are not as sticky. Hate boolits that cure stuck together.

I use the Styrofoam or plastic trays from 50 round boxes of factory pistol ammo. Check the trash at the local gun club after a big weekend pistol shoot.

Put the boolits in the tray nose down. Flip the tray upside down onto the loading bench (be quick), lift the tray off carefully and you have 5 rows of 10 neatly stacked boolits.
    I dump two trays at a time (100 boolits). When those are loaded I know I need to refill the primer magazine on the Dillon.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    Mason jars...
    Too clumsy with nephropathy to be playing with glass.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vernm View Post
    I like the tray method too. Keeps the boolits separate while they cure and are not as sticky. Hate boolits that cure stuck together.

I use the Styrofoam or plastic trays from 50 round boxes of factory pistol ammo. Check the trash at the local gun club after a big weekend pistol shoot.

Put the boolits in the tray nose down. Flip the tray upside down onto the loading bench (be quick), lift the tray off carefully and you have 5 rows of 10 neatly stacked boolits.
    I dump two trays at a time (100 boolits). When those are loaded I know I need to refill the primer magazine on the Dillon.
    Be quick ? ...what I see is me picking boolits flung all over the bench and floor.
    I was never quick and have slowed considerably since then.
    Be Quick....Right !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by craveman85 View Post
    Definitely won't be powder coating any of mine. I took a 6 or so year hiatus from casting and the forum and when I get back everyone is painting their bullets. Kinda reminds me of those "donk" cars where someone takes a nice old Monte Carlo that was really great how it was and slaps some stupid 30" rims on it. I load cast for more nostalgic reasons and I don't think blue purple or green bullets belong in a 45-70. But I guess a lot of the world has changed in the past 5 or 6 years and we just have to accept people for who they are.
    Soooooo, what's to accept???

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180630_164955.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	223021

I use to cast, lube, and pack away in zip lock bags but I would usually have sooooo many that even with the shooting I do some would still end up with missing lube, and enough of it to where I had to relube. I now pack them away the same except no lube and no size til I'm ready to load and shoot. I use 50 cal. military boxes to store all my cast unsized and unlubed boolits in. I just label the ammo cans with whats inside and they stack real well too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post

I use 50 cal. military boxes to store all my cast unsized and unlubed boolits in. I just label the ammo cans with whats inside and they stack real well too.
    Me Too. I also have some for cleaned and sized brass.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Me Too. I also have some for cleaned and sized brass.....

I do this too, great way to keep it from high humidity environs with a moisture absorbing pack thrown it with it too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast