Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storing lubed boolits

Boolit Master

I have not used CBlue but it is not supposed to be sticky. I'm a hard lube guy so I just use any container that holds 300-400 bullets that I can load from, mostly old 1 lb. whipped butter containers. I size and lube everything right after casting and put it in bulk containers.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

I store them in "I Can't Believe it's not Butter" tubs. Don't like it but the DW insists I use it 80% of the time. Real butter Mmmmmmmm!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I store them in "I Can't Believe it's not Butter" tubs. Don't like it but the DW insists I use it 80% of the time. Real butter Mmmmmmmm!

Unless you're lactose intolerant.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Thought real butter was better for you? Did the government flip flop again for the 4th time?

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

I used cigar boxes for a long time. As they got harder to get I tried other things. I'm currently using gallon plastic jugs with large screw on lids like coffee creamer and flavored coffee comes in. And no, I don't use it, a friends wife brings them home from work!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wl620 View Post
    I size and lube all I make for a particular caliber or boolit usually at one time and I store all my lubed/sized boolits in those little pencil boxes you can get at an office supply store if you catch them on sale they are worth the money, I havent bought any in awhile so not up on curren cost.
    Most of the ones I have will hold 250-300 45 boolits i set them in there on their base and as close together as possible the shorter ones like a 452460 i double stack with a piece of wax paper between. I stack these boxes on a heavy duty shelf in the shop where my little loading room is I have it closed off from the rest of the shop but it still gets dusty in there, these boxes do a good job of keeping the dirt out and the lube frome getting gouged out by other boolits, its a little extra work but its worth it to me.

I wish there was a like button for this

Boolit Buddy
    I use Ben's red on my rifle bullets and 45/45/10 on my pistol bullets. I store them in plastic peanut butter or mixed nut jars.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Master
    Attachment 223640

I use these to store my extra bullets that I will load while shooting or storing.
    I keep the rest unlubed and stored in zip lock baggies with details on them.
    I tend to change on a whim what I feel like using on a particular day.
    In case you are wondering I use a pair of tweezers for grabbing the short bullets out.
    Wipe their bums and load.
    I may even wipe lube of the nose section if in the mood.
    A handy towel or rag keeps most lube off most things while single loading cases shutzen style.
    Working for me at the moment.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I give them a light tumble in BLL after I lube them and store in ziplock bags.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by craveman85 View Post
    Do you guys size and lube all of your bullets in a big batch or just size and lube what you're going to reload.
    I like to store small quantities (600) of lubed bullets. I neatly stack the lubed bullets in layers in mtm case gard cast bullet boxes. (See the link below for pictures).
    I want to protect the sharp edges of the bullet bases so I stack the bullets rather than pour the bullets into the containers.

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products...bullet-box.php

I stack 3 layers of of LEE 45-255-RF bullets. 50 bullets on each layer, separated by 2 cereal box cardboard cards, that’s 150 lube bullet per mtm box.

Unlubed bullets are stacked this way too so inventory counting can be done quickly.

I also use Starfrit lock&lock food saving containers 37 oz size ~8”x5.5”x2.5”.
    (See the link below for pictures)

https://www.starfrit.com/en/lock-loc...ular-container

This size container holds 480 LEE 45-255-RF bullets stacked in 3 separate layers. These Starfrit containers stack neatly to save storage space.
    The locking lids are “O”-ringed so not a lot of air can get to the bullets so they stay shining.

Boolit Master
    I've a large pair of tweezers so I grab the nose with them and stick them into a can of motor mica covering the sized and lubed portion and use a bunch of old Speer bullet boxes that hold 50 at a time. If I have more then I use any of the 100 round plastic bullet boxes. They don't stick and the mica actually helps when seating a bullet in the case. Have a few boxes that cast bullets have been in there for years and they just slide out no sticking. Frank

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by craveman85 View Post
    Definitely won't be powder coating any of mine. I took a 6 or so year hiatus from casting and the forum and when I get back everyone is painting their bullets. Kinda reminds me of those "donk" cars where someone takes a nice old Monte Carlo that was really great how it was and slaps some stupid 30" rims on it. I load cast for more nostalgic reasons and I don't think blue purple or green bullets belong in a 45-70. But I guess a lot of the world has changed in the past 5 or 6 years and we just have to accept people for who they are.

NOTHING like "donk" cars. It took me a couple of years to get on board although I did have Donnie Miculek coat some of my boolits for a big match before powder coating became common. There are probably fewer benefits for a .45-70 than for shooting pistols rapidly. Just the same, here are the benefits I perceive:

1. Lead and lube not transferred to hands while handling boolits. I'm not worried about toxicity 'cause I know how to wash my hands. It's nice to stay cleaner, though.
    2. Waxy lube is not transferred to sizing dies and loaded ammo so no need to clean ammo after loading.
    3. Boolits size with less effort when powder coated.
    4. Less smoke is produced.
    5. I have not chronographed any PCed loads but others are reporting 100-150 fps velocity gains without changing powder charges.
    6. Powder coat comes in clear so it doesn't have to alter the look of your boolits.

I load on progressive presses and shoot autoloaders and revolvers in competition so some of these benefits may not be benefits to everyone.

Back to the original question: I size and lube as soon as possible after casting. I left a big batch to size later once and the age hardening was very noticeable when the boolits went through a Star. It probably wouldn't have been as noticeable with an RCBS or Lyman lubrisizer.
    Last edited by David2011; 08-01-2018 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Forgot about the original question.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Buddy
    Can of spray silicone work great on lubed bullets, can lasts a long time and hardware store carries it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12