Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: just found a jewel... star 9mm Largo.

Boolit Master
    Something I remembered that might help someone here. Back when I got my Stars, I spent some time at the gunshow table of a guy who specialized in magazines. He had 4 magazines for Stars: 1) A model, 2) B model, 3) Super A model, and 4) Super B model. All four were different from each other. He told me that sometimes magazines from different models would work in others, but you could never be sure what would work with what.

One of the four was in considerably less supply and cost much more than the others (I think it was the B model, pre WWII in 9mm Luger). It was easy to tell the difference between the A models and the B models. The lips on the Largo magazines were shorter than the lips on the Luger models. I don't remember for sure what the difference between the early (non-Super) and the late (Super) models were. I think it was something to do with the notch that locked it into the gun.

He indicated that most of the magazines could be altered to increase the odds of it working in a different model gun, but the best thing to do was to get the correct magazine. He also said that a lot of problems people had with feeding trouble was because they had the wrong magazine. Unfortunately, I noticed that a lot of other sellers had ones that were incorrectly labeled (or would say it would fit all) after being taught the differences.

Another thing was the Winchester 9mmx23 brass I mentioned. The only reason I tried it was because I found a few hundred cases on a gunshow table that were cheap. However, Stars have fairly tight chambers. At least tighter than the Astra. The W9x23 would work for the most part in the Astra, but had a lot of problems in the Star. After a lot of measuring, I found that the diameter of the cases was 0.001" too large just ahead of the extractor groove. I rigged up a way to take that down and shot them in the Stars. After Starline became available, I shot up the W9x23 and never went back.

Data is listed in both Speer 14 and 15, as well as Sierra 5th.

I would not use any of the 38 Super +P data listed in the Speer manuals, and none of the max loads for 9mm Luger. Some starting loads for 9mm Luger are above max listed for 9mm Largo, some are not...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12