Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just found a jewel... star 9mm Largo.

Boolit Master

just found a jewel... star 9mm Largo.

went to my home state of oklahoma to visit all my kin.

was forced to go to a flea market....while there i found a table that had a dozen or so rifles and shotguns...a .25 acp beat to death...and a .38 s&w top break, also pretty bad.

while looking i spotted a star auto in 9mm Largo in the original box with cleaning rod and all the old paperwork inside , so i checked it over.
    90% of the original blue is still there. it looked like somebody bought it for protection and literally left it in the night stand since 1953 when it was made. oh and only fired twice from the original first box of ammo.
    (ammo made in spain also)

bought it for $325 ...took it to the range to see if it would fire ....nope.

so much dust had built up on the firing pin that it barely dented the primer cap.

there is NO wear on it internally anywhere ...just dry as a popcorn f^rt from never being cleaned or oiled.

gutted it and cleaned it like never before ...lightly oiled the parts.
    now it runs like a swiss watch!

just got today 3000 starline 9mm Largo brass.

anyone know where to get Largo load info?

Boolit Master
    type in 9 m/m largo home page. they have loads listed. I use .38 acp loads. I like 124 gr. Remington golden saber bullets. also rcbs 124 gr. truncated cone bullets.

I have two both surplus one I never fired the other I have shot a lot sometime I carry it and never thought I was under gunned.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i loved my star 9 mm ( bkm) untill my brother barrowed it and decided that i gave it to him. boy what is family for. figured it wasn't worth bad blood in family as it wasn't coming back anyway but lesson learned i do not have anything else he needs to borrow!

Star -- great pistols. Which model did you get?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Star -- great pistols. Which model did you get?
    modelo super in 9mm largo with all the upgrades from 1946 to 1953 when it was made.

Super is a good one. So, the butt should be stamped "A Super". Yes?

Boolit Master
    The Speer manual has good info and I think the Sierra manual. Don't ask me yet which ones. The last Speer manual or Sierra manual has been a few years ago. 38 ACP is pretty safe info too.

Boolit Grand Master
    Speer number 13 has info. If you can't find it, start with 9 mm Luger data and nudge upward until you get good function. That worked for me years ago when they were imported quantity. I haven't shot mine for a few years, but I love the feel and balance. In my hand of that gun.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    mine is stamped only super on the butt.

i read on the web that modelo super b was made in luger and modelo a was made in largo.

some have "A" on the butt and some don't.

That is exactly correct. I was just curious-- some do, some don't.

Reason for curiosity: Lots of years ago, I'm guessing about 25, a member of another board who was in the pistol magazine sales business (or maybe that was just part of his business) and was well known for his expertise told me that there was no such thing as a Super in 9 Largo, that they were all in 9 Luger. I told him that I had two on my desk in front of me, and that they were stamped with an "A" on the butt. I think that there are fewer without than with. Not all Super Model B pistols are stamped with a "B" on the butt either, but many are. About 10 years ago I acquired a BS, learning that the "S" means that it has the safety feature with the magazine removed. I have never encountered an AS, but assume that they exist. Stars are great pistols and I carry a regular B model.

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    went to my home state of oklahoma to visit all my kin.

was forced to go to a flea market....while there i found a table that had a dozen or so rifles and shotguns...a .25 acp beat to death...and a .38 s&w top break, also pretty bad.

while looking i spotted a star auto in 9mm Largo in the original box with cleaning rod and all the old paperwork inside , so i checked it over.
    90% of the original blue is still there. it looked like somebody bought it for protection and literally left it in the night stand since 1953 when it was made. oh and only fired twice from the original first box of ammo.
    (ammo made in spain also)

bought it for $325 ...took it to the range to see if it would fire ....nope.

so much dust had built up on the firing pin that it barely dented the primer cap.

there is NO wear on it internally anywhere ...just dry as a popcorn f^rt from never being cleaned or oiled.

gutted it and cleaned it like never before ...lightly oiled the parts.
    now it runs like a swiss watch!

just got today 3000 starline 9mm Largo brass.

anyone know where to get Largo load info?
    I would not announce on the internet, that I bought a handgun in a state where I did not reside.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    The Starline brass is the best thing that has happened to 9mm Largo owners since they were being sold for less than $20 through the mail back in the 1950's. The first one I shot was an Astra belonging to my Uncle. I got one shortly after. After a short while, the 9mm Largo ammunition they were selling with the guns dried up. The Largo brass was Berdan primed and not reloadable (for all practical purposes). I started reloading with .38ACP and .38 Super brass. Later I tried some Winchester 9x23 with mixed luck (OK with the Astra, but not the Star). The Starline has solved the brass problem. Since way back then, I have added a couple of Stars, one in Largo and one in Luger.

I use the EXACT same bullet, powder, and powder amount in my 9mm Largo handloads as I do in my 9mm Luger handloads. The only difference is the brass. From my limited experience, the Stars have tighter chambers than the Astras. I have an Uncle who has had an Astra in 9mm Largo for 45 or 50 years. I doubt that he has ever fired anything other than 9mm Luger in it. I gave him a few boxes of factory 9mm Largo brass a few Christmases back.

Boolit Master
    if you have the means to trim. check the price of 9m/m mag. brass it is cheaper. I have also turned the rim off of .38 super.

.38 Super BOOK data will work fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banner Sponsor

I cut a small step in the hood to take a 38 super's semi-rim. I had to tweak the feedlips a little, but now it shoots 38 super as well as Largo. Mine is the Modelo Super.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I would not announce on the internet, that I bought a handgun in a state where I did not reside.
    i went there to live ....and am house hunting now.... and you can privately sell any gun you have there to anyone else without any paper work at all.

there were 6 tables in all that had firearms on them for sale. (almost bought a 22 l.r. rolling block...but he wouldn't come down any...so no.)

Quote Originally Posted by mozeppa View Post
    i went there to live ....and am house hunting now.... and you can privately sell any gun you have there to anyone else without any paper work at all.

there were 6 tables in all that had firearms on them for sale. (almost bought a 22 l.r. rolling block...but he wouldn't come down any...so no.)
    Great score and welcome to the Reddest of the Red states! Enjoy the freedom. I love Okie-land.

Well OK. may be the reddest, I'm not sure. Idaho is a pretty gun friendly spot and the state government tries it's best to trust both it's citizens and business interests in respect to gun sales. I've both bought and sold firearms at yard sales.
    Gp

I have had a few Stars in 9mm Largo. All the brass I had was Berdan primed. I went the 38 super
    Rim thin route, worked fine. Had Star And Spanish Destroyer carbine both 9 largo. Both shot
    well with cast. Shot 130gr RN. There are quite a few other pistols that used Largo, it is the same
    as several others of the period. Bergman Baynard, Astra, Styer Hahn, to name a few.

Boolit Master

I use 38ACP loads in my Modelo Super for plinking but I have also reloaded them with 9mm Luger load data as well. Both work for me.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast