WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2

Thread: New to me Pedersoli 1874 Sharps!

Boolit Master

New to me Pedersoli 1874 Sharps!

Picked up my Sharps today, and I must say I am impressed with the rifle overall! The wood to metal fit was great with only two very tiny gaps that were about 1/4” looks so that tells you how close I looked it over. Their was no proud wood anywhere. The bluing had s nice luster to it, and the case hardening was some of the nicest I have seen, and that is comparing this rifle to a Shiloh and C Sharps rifles! The 32” barrel has a slight taper to it but not much. The long range vernier had been removed and I left it that way, I wanted to see how it shot w regular irons. With the rear sight ladder folded down, it only had a narrow notch for the silver ft blade to fit in so I put the gun on a rest and shot my 125 yd, clanger which is 12” around, and the first shot hit dead center, the next 2 were right under neath it in a 3 shot group that measured about 2.5”! I then took the rifle offhand an hit a 4”canger 3 out of 4 at 100yds. I decided right then and there I was going to deer hunt with that rifle this upcoming season. Now I have done a lot of offhand shooting over the years in local, state, an NMLRA championship matches, and medaled in several of them, but I have picked up very few rifles that I shot this well right out of the gate. I flipped the rear ladder sight up and it had a tiny gap under the bottom of it and the screw was tight so I shot it at 100 yds, way high. I then went too my 200 yd where I have a 10” clanger and holding a fine bead in the rear V notch, I touched off the set trigger and saw a white splash occur about 3” above center, I shot 4 more which crept in underneath the first shot about a 2” lower with 2 on each side for about a 4.5” group off sandbags. I think I was subconsciously holding about 6oclock on the first bullet splash, either way I am tickled pink with the results. I was shooting the 340 gr Lee slug, cast at 459, unsized, lubed with SPG lube, sitting on top of 15 grs of Unique powder. I am going to try some 360 HP’s I cast as well as some 405 grs, but am plenty happy with a quick shoots session that was interrupted by rain. I have been battling back after a hip replacement in Sept., the having to have another surgery in early Oct., due to having MRSA, having the stitches taken out of all the layers of muscle, the bone scraped, and having a lot of muscle tissue removed due to being to far gone. 5 weeks late after starting therapy, I had 3 strokes in a 5 hour period, the first one left me lying on the floor at home unable to get help for 3 hours, finally managed to call the wife at work, she rushed home with an ambulance shot took me to the hospital , where15 minutes after arriving I had the second stroke, which lasted about 20 minutes, the an hour later while having a CAT scan I had the 3 rd one! They could not give me the shot for stroke due to it being out of the 3 hours window. I am still suffering from75% numbness in my right leg, 50% give or take in my right arm, along with chronic fatigue, weakness and can only walk about 100 yds before I give out, but have worked hard to recover most of my upper body strength, and hand/eye coordination is good. My eyesight is as good as ever at 55 years old, and I have gratitude for that. The docs say recovery is a matter of years, not months, but I sure get aggravated at having to walk with a crutch, am hoping to one day not have to depend on it and be able to walk around freely! I did manage to get out and take a buck and huge doe in ML season in mid December, had 2 buddies that were hunting nearby come help me get them out and process them! After going thru all of this, it really makes you appreciate the simple things in life, good friends and God’s blessings!

Boolit Grand Master

Pedersolis are very nice rifles and well worth the costs. For a long time now their barrels have had a very good reputation for fine accuracy. I have the long range model cabellas offered 15 years ago or so and it is a fine performer. 34" taper half round barrel on it 1-18 twist 45-70. It really likes the heavy bullets of 535-550 grns. The 535 lyman postel is a solid performer in my rifle.

You didn't sat but what caliber is your rifle chambered for?

Boolit Master
    Duhh, 45/70, my short term memory or attention span sucks after the stroke!

Boolit Master
    Other than Sharps 74 what is the model name or designation of your rifle?
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Had a friend who had C.Sharps, Farmingdale,Long Island Sharps and Pedersoli Sharps. really wrung them out and ended up grading them as Pedersoli 1st, C.Sharps 2nd and the Farmingdale Sharps last.Frank

Koger,
    Those Pedersolis are very addictive, I just had a heart op about 6 weeks ago but last weekend I was back shooting my 45/90 at the 600yd steel buffalo.

Top to bottom: 45/90, 45/70, 50/70, 50/90 and 40/65

The 50/70 is still a favourite and very accurate

Recovery from operations are always aided by a bit of shooting therapy
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Bub
    Congrats on the Sharps and I wish you the speediest recovery on the health front. Sucks getting old, but sure beats the alternative! I'm picking up my 1st Pedersoli rifle today. I'm sure I will be just as pleased as you are with yours. I like your load choices so far. A friend loaned me his Uberti highwall in .45-70 with enough ammo to complete a match. He had 2 different loads that both shot very well. Both used a 385 RNPB bullet(looked like a Lyman #457124, but I'm not sure). One load was 25gr of Imr4198 and the other was 35gr of H4895. Both loads were quite pleasant to shoot, even after 40 rounds! Our matches are held at relatively short distance, so I may try your load with the Lee 340gr bullet and unique powder. I'm guessing recoil must be negligible or at least very pleasant for that load? I'm not hunting or reaching out beyond 200 yards, so I have no real need to beat myself up.

Boolit Buddy
    I love my Sharps 74 Business Rifle made by Pedersoli (45/70) and it also shoots very well with bullets from 340 to 550 grains in both black and smokeless, Bad *** Wallace that is one serious and sexy line up of Sharps Rifles !

Keep focused on your Shooting Koger it will do you good

Boolit Buddy
    My 89 yr old Dad tells me, "If you are gona get old you got to be tough". Sounds like you are tough with all you have been through. Enjoy that sharps and remember that cane can always be an "equalizer" when that sharps is not appropriate. 13 gr of unique under a 405 boolit is easy on the shoulder and packs a punch on the business end.

Boolit Bub
    Nice write up. I have a 45 70 Pedersoli Sharps w/32" octagon barrel and really enjoy shooting and working up loads for the rifle.
    I've found it 'likes' .459 diameter more that the .458 and am shooting high alloy lead (Brinnel 24) so I see no leading at all. Presently using accurate 5744 in moderate loads chronographed at between 12-1400 FPS with 405 to 510 gn boolits. Very accurate.
    I got a set of Lee Shaver Vernier sights that I really like greatly as I've never been a buckhorn fan...I have the sportsman Sharps with the ladder and buckhorn barrel mount so I filed the 'horns' off, cold blued the 'new' flat sight that is still usable but does not interfere with the Vernier set at 0 elevation.
    I don't know if I'll try the BP route but may as I am near the Ben Avery range in Phx and they have monthly BPC shoots and a nice 1000 yd range.
    Pedersoli's are a great value imo. I've loaded and shot rounds with a COAL of 2.792 so your chamber area is open to the larger gn bullets as many here will attest. The 2.55 noted in reloading data will always work in the lever guns and is noted as a COAL without noting that. I get great accuracy with a 510 gn. and a 430...all in 459 diameter (lead only not copper btw).
    I only have experience with the Pedersoli Sharps so have no idea about COAL for other Sharps makes.
    Beautiful rifle that shoots on the money...great fun.