Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Odd Rossi 92 SRC

Boolit Master

Odd Rossi 92 SRC

A few days ago I saw an early production Rossi rifle branded as a 92 SRC. I call it early because it carries the Interarms roll marks. All of the metal is blue, caliber is 45 Colt, and the barrel would be 22" to 24" long, did not get a chance to measure it. The SRC inscription conflicts with the longer than carbine length of the barrel, but I guess the maker can name it whatever he chooses. Now to the odd part. The barrel is half octagonal and half round. If I ever knew that Rossi offered this configuration I surely forgot about it. The rifle is in excellent condition and is in an estate. Of course this rifle does not have the bolt-top safety. The action worked smoothly and I'm wondering when it will be offered up for sale. This is a very impressive rifle waiting for a new owner. Hope it's me.

That's one I would want, too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    A few days ago I saw an early production Rossi rifle branded as a 92 SRC. I call it early because it carries the Interarms roll marks. All of the metal is blue, caliber is 45 Colt, and the barrel would be 22" to 24" long, did not get a chance to measure it. The SRC inscription conflicts with the longer than carbine length of the barrel, but I guess the maker can name it whatever he chooses. Now to the odd part. The barrel is half octagonal and half round. If I ever knew that Rossi offered this configuration I surely forgot about it. The rifle is in excellent condition and is in an estate. Of course this rifle does not have the bolt-top safety. The action worked smoothly and I'm wondering when it will be offered up for sale. This is a very impressive rifle waiting for a new owner. Hope it's me.
    A mate of mine has a half octo half round Rossi in 44/40 darn nice rifle - its a dozen years old (maybe more) hope you get this one !

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Your rifle dates to the mid-1980s. Mine is a .44-40.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Those old Interarms Rossi’s were very smooth cycling lever guns. I had the Carbine in 357 and got a wild hair for something else and sold it to a fellow caster here on cast boolits. Sure miss it.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I'd have to measure the barrel, pretty sure its just 20'', but my Rossi SRC 44-40 never had a saddle ring. Slickest little long gun I got.

Boolit Buddy
    The early Rossi 92 was often made to the specifications of the US or foreign importers. I have an early Rossi 92 SRC made for Interarms in the late 70's or early 80's in 357 Magnum. while smooth in action the ejector throws the cases into the next county. I found it interesting that the Rossi serial number is internal of all of the parts. An Interarms serial number was added to the right side of the receiver which is different. While nice they are not as nice as the originals or new Japanese built rifles. On my Japanese rifles I took off all the legal negligence *rap. Now they work the originials. I have found them to work and are as accurate as the originals with Marbles tang sights.

A friend bought an old Rossi in 45 Colt. I remember it most because it spit in my face when I shot it. Read later that they need a hotter load to seal the case and avoid that. I now have a standard Rossi carbine in 357 and enjoy the rifle. Think a 45 Colt would not be all bad either as I have a revolver and could load for it. Hope you get it.

DP

I picked up an older Rossi marked 65 SRC. Sure looks like a model 92. In 45 Colt, it shoots real well and is a heck of a lot smoother cycling than the Winchester 94 I looked at last month for $150 more.

I'd grab another in 357 or 44 mag if I found one.

Super Moderator

..........Maybe 10-12 years ago myself and 3 buddies saddled up on a rainy day, and went to a restaurant for breakfast, and talked guns. After that we started out on a gun store safari. At a Turners Sporting Goods in Riverside, CA I noticed a nifty looking levergun in the used gun rack with a half octagon/round barrel. It was all blued and was a very handsome rifle. It wasn't a carbine, but now I do not recall if it was a short rifle, or rifle. In any event it was priced at $350. Trying to be mature, I decided to think about it. So over night I decided I'd like to have it. The next day I called them only to find out it had just a half hour before it had been sold. Ah well, so much for the idea of trying to be mature IIRC it was in 45 Colt.

...................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Bub
    It sounds like a winner. My newer Rossi carbine in . 357 is nothing to brag about in the quality or looks department, but she do shoot. That one sounds MUCH more desirable. Best of luck!
    Greg in West Mitten

Boolit Bub
    I just purchased a newer 92 - it isn't here yet. But to second the older Interarms stuff - I have a few of the older shotguns and a 22. Both are really good.

Boolit Grand Master

Picked one of these up in about 95 they were afaik a special issue for somebody and CDNN closed them out.