Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do lubrisizer lubes work as well as tumble lube?

Moderator Emeritus

When I went to a lubrisizer in the early 90's my groups shrunk, my smoke was less and I was happy. The trade off was more prep time.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    A big part of my casting and shooting lead bullets is the experimentation. It's silly to think one can buy a mold, a pot and some lube and be able to make perfect bullets right off the bat. I did make shootable bullets from the start, but each batch had a few unsatisfactory things about them. The first time I used alox I thought I was shooting my BP revolver. Plus I was using a light load of Unique which added to the smoke. Over time I was able to get bullets I could drive to magnum velocities without much (if any) leading and as accurate as any bullet. After I "perfected" my cast bullets Powder Coating appeared on the scene so I tried it. Yes, they do most of what folks say they do and are just a little more work, but I have come to the conclusion the the only benefit over my cast bullets it the color (a big 265 gr., 44 cal red bullet is soooo coool)...

That's why I mentioned I'd stick to solving the smoke "problem" (and my OCD) before I tried another process...
    The thing is, the whole building the perfect bullet f or each gun does work for me. I shoot a lot and my buddy shoots with me. So my .357 magnum rounds go between my revoler, his revolver, and my lever action .357. So tailoring for each gun like that isnt really something that will work in my situation. Im just trying to make up some batches of stuff to sling down the range without blowing my gun up, or smoking everyone to death.

Boolit Grand Master

I understand OBG, but I guess I ain't in no hurry and I do tailor loads for individual guns. I have 5, 44 Magnums and while I have loads that will work well in all 5, I still have worked up loads for each gun. My 629 took a battering when I had a case of "Magnumitis" in the '80s so I keep it's loads on the light side with cast SWC bullets. My Ruger SBH will digest and shoot anything but it favors 240 RD bullets with WC820 running hot (but below max.). My Dan Wesson is very accurate with Hornady XTPs. My other guns get bullets and loads they work best with and I figger, for me at least, customizing ammo for a particular gun is just a part of reloading, as I never considered "saving" money as a factor and I don't need ammo that just goes bang...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbrowngun View Post
    I was shooting quenched wheel weight boolits. I had been shooting unsized boolits for my 357 magnum that were .360. I started sizing and shot mostly the sized boolits today that were sized to .359. Curator may be right on the boolits behing too hard, since I seemed to get even more smoke with my sized boolits. I think I am going to give powder coating a try.
    I think you will be hooked on powder coating once you try it. If you do try pc'ing, do yourself a favor and get your powder from Smoke4320 here on this site. It beats Harbor Freight powder hands down. A Lee push through sizer is cheap compared to a lube sizer and the results are gratifying. If it is too small in diameter, it's easy to open it up a thousandth or 2. The only thing I miss is the smell of the smoke. It is better than perfume IMHO!! But....I shoot outside, so I sympathize with your situation. Welcome to the forum, lot of very knowledgeable people here that are willing to help.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    The only thing I miss is the smell of the smoke. It is better than perfume IMHO!! But....I shoot outside, so I sympathize with your situation. Welcome to the forum, lot of very knowledgeable people here that are willing to help.
    Lol, when I was covering the range in smoke, I turned and apologized to the old timer shooting beside me, to which he replied "Hey, it smelled good! What was that?!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12