Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Sounds like Williamson Co. Tennessee needs our help.

Boolit Bub

Sounds like Williamson Co. Tennessee needs our help.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...nds/693992002/

I think there may be some potential for a few enterprising individuals to help them with their problem.....

In Remembrance

I love the caption under the picture of a rifle cartridge casing sitting in a crease of the concrete. "You shouldn`t pick up empty cartridge casings since they contain lead"! Guess I`ve been doing it all wrong for the last 60 + years of picking up fired cases!Robert

Boolit Master
    I currently suffer all of the symptoms they list for adults. Trouble is, all of mine are the result of old age, not lead.
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Master
    It's an unnecessarily alarmist view, but it makes sense to remove lead from a range which stops being a range. Lead oxide (hich is a far greater danger than metallic lead) will build up in time, and kids will play in exposed sandy spots.

I think what stops grass growing (well, maybe...) in areas with a lot of buried brass, is the copper in the brass. That's why wooden ships used to be copper-bottomed.

Boolit Grand Master

So if earthern lead is such an issue, where does lead come from in the first place and how have people for millennia survived with such poisonous material?

You know if a few casters were to volunteer to berm mine.....
    ......... and promise not to touch any of that dangerous brass while they are at it.... Well I have a kid down there and certainly wouldn't mind an excuse for a visit.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

A few casters with front end loaders and sifters could really help them out!

Boolit Master

Hadn't heard about this issue, I may need go see if they could use an extra laborer. I'll make a sign the reads: will work for lead.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

If someone has the equipment and we can keep the lead. Let me know. I will take leave to help. i have about 30 days on the books and take a week and half off. I have family there who i can call on to help.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    So if earthern lead is such an issue, where does lead come from in the first place and how have people for millennia survived with such poisonous material?
    From the same planet as arsenic and blue asbestos. If you don't think being in less harmful compounds, solid rock rather than powder or more deeply buried make the difference, go find some. Burns from pure sodium are horrifying. It combines with the oxygen in water so fiercely that it sets the resulting hydrogen alight, and that could be your body fluids, but you sprinkle sodium on your food every day.

The point about sensibly clad and equipped volunteers keeping it for their own use seems a totally legitimate one, though,

Boolit Grand Master

Over a couple years I mined and smelted over 7 tons of range lead and they considered it a favor. I sold in excess of 400 lbs of jacket material and scrap brass. What other hobby pays you to participate? Kinda proves you can save money casting, don't it?
    BTW
    My blood lead levels never increased.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    Invite casters to help won't cost a thing.

Boolit Master
    Never got to see it. Pop-ups took over.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

EVEN the EPA states lead does not leach from ranges.

There are company's that will buy the lead they remove from ranges, why do they need money to get it done? Someone's brother will do it for a fee?

Boolit Master
    The pop-ups protected me from reading about all that toxic lead.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    The pop-ups protected me from reading about all that toxic lead.
    There's 18,000 pounds of lead just sitting a few feet underground, more or less free for the taking since the sheriff's office that owns the range wants it gone.