Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Is this going to be ok? 45 Colt and Unique

Is this going to be ok? 45 Colt and Unique

I have a hand full of 45 Colt 250gr loads with only 6.5gr of Unique. Reason for this is I want a light load to shoot out of my Open Top Colt (it isn't an antique). So would this work out of a 7.5" barrel? It's a very light load.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I use Red Dot as I prefer it over Unique in my 7 1/2" 45 SAA and I don't have my Lyman Cast Boolit Handbook handy - but I don't see why it wouldn't work O.K. Try one and check it to make sure it left the barrel. Seems to me like it would have enough "umph" to be just fine.

I just got a '51 Navy R & M conversion in 38 special and I plan on using light loads out of it as well. I can't see pushing an open top hard.

If it overly concerns you, just load one, fire it and then check the bore with a cleaning rod to make sure it's clear . . . repeat and check again. Someone who uses Unique will come along and should be able to tell you of that particular powder and how light you can go.
    Last edited by bedbugbilly; 06-21-2018 at 06:33 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Alliant's cowboy load is 8.5gr with a 230gr boolit. There are no listed loads at 6.5gr Unique. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting repeat shots using a load that far below the cowboy load, which is already a light load. But to each his own......
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    At 6.5 grains Unique will be safe but on the dirty side. It will clean up at heavier charges but that's not what you want. I also prefer Red Dot for the lighter loadings.

Mike

Boolit Master
    The Lyman 4th Ed. CB Handbook lists (page 285) a 45 Long Colt load for the Lyman 454190 (250 gr.) as START: Unique 6.0 gr. and MAX Unique 9.0 gr.

I load 7.5 grains of Unique and 255 grain bullet all the time for indoor ranges...

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Alliant's cowboy load is 8.5gr with a 230gr boolit. There are no listed loads at 6.5gr Unique. Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting repeat shots using a load that far below the cowboy load, which is already a light load. But to each his own......
    An open top won't last too long @ 8.5gr of Unique. This isn't a SAA

That’s probably not enough to expand the cases fully and they will be very sooty.

Boolit Master
    Treat them like my fire lapping loads and shoot them at something where you can see or hear the impacts. I'd go to a faster powder if you need light loads for your open top.

You should be fine if you just want bang, but like others, I think your going to find it soots up the brass and chambers rather heavily, and would suggest that same charge with red dot for much better results, as in not only cleaner, but I think it will be much more consistent for shot to shot velocity, and am pretty sure accuracy would be much improved as well.

Boolit Master

I've shot a .44WCF with 6.5grs UNIQUE over a 225gr for over 40yrs without a worry. Case capacity is pretty close between the two.
    I've also used 6.5grs of UNIQUE behind a 235gr SWC in a .45COLT about just as long.
    And yeah they are DIRTY LOADS.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    That’s probably not enough to expand the cases fully and they will be very sooty.
    I have a very light crimp on them and I like the sootyness.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    You should be fine if you just want bang, but like others, I think your going to find it soots up the brass and chambers rather heavily, and would suggest that same charge with red dot for much better results, as in not only cleaner, but I think it will be much more consistent for shot to shot velocity, and am pretty sure accuracy would be much improved as well.
    Like I said I'm basically going for the soot and will also be coating these and other Unique loads (7-8gr) in coats of ALOX.

Think of it as a non corrosive attempt at black powder. LOL

Boolit Master
    It should work perfectly for a real light load. Like others have said it'll be dirty. The loads will probably shoot higher than any normal load do to the longer dwell time in the barrel.

If you are looking for less recoil, also try a lighter bullet. I have a light load that I shoot out of an uberti. I use a 200gn swc over 7.5gn unique. It is a very mild load, but it is accurate, and doesn’t soot up.