Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder coating with gas checks

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Powder coating with gas checks

Has anyone powder coated a boolit after the gas check was applied?

I’m working with a 6.5mm 140 gr boolit and after the PC it’s not that easy to get the checks on, so I thought I might give it a try the other way round.

I know a lot of people don’t use GCs with PC. I don’t for my 45-70 rounds and they work great, with this smaller boolit they come apart if not GCed. Same alloy, range scrap. Maybe if I hardened the alloy I may not need them.

Vendor Sponsor

Yes I cast, install check while sizing, coat and size again ..
    I shoot mostly rifles and many with suppressors..
    coating with check on is just one more step to make sure check does not come off in the suppressor
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

two coats. one coat before gas-checking and its initial sizing and one light coat afterwards and then final sized and put away in a storage until they are loaded.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Well I gas checked and sized a few yesterday. I only coated them once. Will see how they do today.

Boolit Buddy
    I have done both before and after and now I only pc after gas check. In my experance it is more accurate and has less problems. It is easier to get gas checks square with bullet base. It can be done both ways but it seems easier to gc prior to pc.

Boolit Buddy

I have coated about 5000 30 cal after installing the gas check and have had no issues, even seems to help with the sizing in my opinion the checks are slippery er er
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    PC is NOT an excuse to NOT use GC’s. If the specs of the boolit you are loading require/suggest a GC, use one.....PC or grease! PC does NOT prevent gas cuttting. It’s merely is a fast and clean and easy way to lube boolits not using old-style grease lubes - with no leading, smoke, or sticky boolits in the summer!

And yes I have PC’d and checked.......and checked and PC’d. Just depends on the fit of your check on the boolits keister.

Bangerjim

Boolit Master
    I check, size, PC & size. As smoke said the check is there to stay.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Guys, Just wondering when you size before applying the Powder coat what do you use as a lubricant if any in the sizing die, I use Lee push through sizing dies

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    NO LUBE needed! All my bare boolits slide thru the many (!) dies I have with no need for a lube. If you do lube, you have to make sure 110% (!) of it is cleaned/washed off or the PC will not adhere properly and give you fits. Just creates another totally un-needed process in your loading procedures.

I use Lee dies also with absolutely ZERO problems.

Bangerjim

Quote Originally Posted by Leadmad View Post
    Hi Guys, Just wondering when you size before applying the Powder coat what do you use as a lubricant if any in the sizing die, I use Lee push through sizing dies

Thanks
    A very tiny amount of Lee sizing lube. About every 3rd of 4th bullet works. That is what I use as a lube when seating gas checks if lube is needed. The lube is more like soap than grease. I wash with just a drop of dish soap in really hot water, and rinse in really hot water. If I can put my hand in the water it isn't hot enough. Tea kettle may be involved for the rinse. Blow dry on high to heat them up good, leave them to dry at least for overnight before I PC them.

Lee Lube will wash off and leave no residue that I can detect is impacting the PC adhesion, the hot water and blow drying is to insure the water dries up more easily and the wash and rinse are fast and in a shallow container. I don't want to soak the bullets for long and I do want to avoid having water in the gas check. They seem to seal pretty well though and it hasn't been a problem. But like I said I essentially pour super hot water over them a couple of times then dry.

I should add I often seat the checks on by running the bullets through Lee sizer base first. For bullets with broad rounded or flat noses the checks seem to seat better going through first and the pressure on the nose doesn't seem to be a problem for bullets that are not spire point or similar. SWC, RFN, or the Lee Bore Rider rifle designs all take to it really well. Pointy bullets will end up with a flat spot on the tip which may not be acceptable to some or in some situations. Base of bullet matters more than nose, which is why if it is made for gas check it is best to use one.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 06-25-2018 at 06:53 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    I GC them, then PC and shoot as is. If you select the right mold for you bore, no sizing needed.

Boolit Master

Thanks
    No lube is needed as the PC is very slick, but if you want almost effortless sizing or if your overall diameter is fairly large try mixing your own lanolin based case lube, which works terrific on PC bullets. The formula is one part lanolin to 12 parts 99% alcohol. The liquid lanolin can be found on EBay and the 12 ounce 99% alcohol can be found at an auto parts supply sold to remove water from the gasoline in your fuel tank. Just mix and put in a fine mist spray bottle. Spray cases or bullets and the alcohol evaporates quickly, leaving a dry wax slick residue of lanolin .

Boolit Buddy
    Hey thanks a lot for your input guys Ill try that in the very near future on some 311041 bullets before coating and shooting

Have a good day and cheers

Boolit Master

just got into rifle reloading and this post answered my question.

nice to have the answer already on the forum before I write the quesiton

since my GC fit great on bare bullet will be GC, then PC
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    just got into rifle reloading and this post answered my question.

nice to have the answer already on the forum before I write the quesiton

since my GC fit great on bare bullet will be GC, then PC
    The bullet design for a rifle is most important as the bore rider seems to work the best, also getting the checks completely perpendicular as well as a flat bottom.

Boolit Bub

Thanks
    I have two Lubesizers on my bench, one has lube in it, the other complete machine has been boiled to remove any lube of any kind from it so there is no chance of contaminating the slugs I will be PC'ing. If I use a die or punch in the "lube " press it receives a boil & acetone wash before being put away.

Banned

same here
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    Yes I cast, install check while sizing, coat and size again ..
    I shoot mostly rifles and many with suppressors..
    coating with check on is just one more step to make sure check does not come off in the suppressor

Boolit Buddy
    If you find out you do need lubricant, you may want to try Ideal yellow 77 water solvable wire pulling lube. I have found that it washes off with a garden hose and the hot water. In my experience ence the process helps with pc coverage.

Boolit Master

I GC AFTER coating and BEFORE sizing.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast