Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92s

Boolit Master

I'm thinking not, it looks too thin. I wonder about maybe an extremely low rear sight?

Attachment 223130Attachment 223131

Wilson Combat mounts a dovetail on 92FS slides so you might want to contact them to see if they could do it for the 92s.

It is pretty thin. Have you tried adjusting your sight picture? You may just have to. Either that or go to lighter bullets, say a hot 115 gr FMJ. All the guns have the same slide and sight arrangement and the guns are not made to shoot high.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

I worked with the Italian Special Forces in Italy back in the late 80s. They were using the 92S and we got to play with them. I was already used to the M9 which was just coming into service but still retained the M1911A1 with 1/10th SF in Germany at the time. Those 92S were very soft shooting and accurate. Beretta imports plenty of NEW spare mags which have both mag catches on the mag bodies. Easy to modify cheap USGI surplus mags to work (can do the same to convert them to fit the Taurus 92 series) Just measure and file a notch in the magazine body.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Have you tried adjusting your sight picture? You may just have to.
    I had some clay targets out on the berm, maybe 30 or 35 yards away. I was nailing them by aiming at least a foot below them. I'm not terribly worried about it. I don't plan to spend any money on gunsmithing for it. I bought it because it's a neat old gun that was really cheap. I have other nicer guns that shoot to point of aim.

If I can figure out some way to get it to shoot right that would be great, but if I have to just learn to aim low with it then it's no big deal. It won't be much different than learning to use that mag release that's in the wrong dang spot!

Boolit Buddy
    I have one of these too, and I did some research in getting some new sights installed. It can be done, but it's expensive. Basically, a gunsmith has to hollow out the front sight you want to use so that it will slip over the existing front sight, then install a cross pin to keep it from coming off. The rear sight can have a different dovetail cut, but it's tight as there's not a lot of extra room.

It'd cost more than you spent on the gun to get it done

Boolit Master

If you know a "good" welder just have him run a bead on top of that sight, file to correct height and cold blue.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned
    Those are GREAT pistols !

I have some experience with the Beretta 92, including an Italian made 92SB which is almost the same pistol as the OP's except for the passive firing pin block and the location of the mag release. It was an awesome pistol ! It shot point of aim with any decent factory 115 or 125 grain bullet. I don't know why the OP's is shooting high but I would play with it before making any serious modifications.

Congrats on such a great find !

Boolit Master

The rest of the pistol is as nice as you see in those photos, except the grips. Internally it looks new.

I know it's not a proper fix, but I'm tempted to try to very carefully and precisely epoxy a perfectly fitted shim onto the top of the front sight. If it was a gun I was going to carry or something I'd spend money to do it right, but I'm just not too worried about it with this gun. I like it as is and don't care to mess with it too much.

What do you guys think; would a shim epoxied to the sight be likely to stay on very long? I think I'll try it. If it falls off, no harm done.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Here's a question for you guys:

I shot this gun at the range. It makes nice little groups, but shoots way high. I didn't measure, but something like 8" to 10" at 25 yards. The front sight is a machined part of the slide, and the rear sight is pretty low already. Any ideas as to what can be done with it?
    Try putting some paint on the front sight so you can focus better. The black front sight can disappear on a black bulls eye.

Shooting that high can mean you need a lighter bullet or faster bullet.

Boolit Master

Does it take the same grips as the M9?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Banned
    Before you start playing with the sights, I would try some different loads.
    All of the Beretta 92 series pistols that I've shot were pretty close to point of aim = point of impact.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=fatelk;4404010
    What do you guys think; would a shim epoxied to the sight be likely to stay on very long? I think I'll try it. If it falls off, no harm done.[/QUOTE]
    25 or 30 years ago I bought Thompson Hawken that had a few inches cut off the muzzle, I ground the dovetail off of another sight and epoxied it on. It's been to the range and out in the field in rain and snow and it's still on there! Probably used JB Weld.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Does it take the same grips as the M9?

No, grips are different do to the mag release located on the bottom left grip panel. Don't know if M9 grips can be modified by drilling a mag release hole but you would still have a slight recurve where the mag release is behind the trigger guard.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    I bought a 92 about thirty years ago. Great cast bullet shooter; probably shoots cast bullets more accurately than jacketed, but with my gun it took a heavy bullet (about 145-150 grains) to shoot to point of aim at 25 yards. Jacketed bullets in the 115- 125-grain range all shot about six inches low. The Beretta will feed anything (even cast SWC .38 Special bullets) reliably. The Beretta is a huge gun for the cartridge, the grip is very large, and balance falls for short of a Sig Sauer P226, a pistol I bought about the same time as the Beretta. The Sig is probably a little more accurate. For the price, however, the Berettas are probably a very good buy.

Boolit Buddy
    Lok grips offer any of their Beretta grips with cuts for the 92s. They put out a really nice grip, I like mine

Boolit Master

tweak the load before you tweak the slide.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    tweak the load before you tweak the slide.
    /\ My thoughts exactly

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
    No, grips are different do to the mag release located on the bottom left grip panel. Don't know if M9 grips can be modified by drilling a mag release hole but you would still have a slight recurve where the mag release is behind the trigger guard.

CD
    These are for the Beretta 92, but they also fit the M9, so is this a much different setup?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crimson Trace 92F.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	223293
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Here are the grips on the 92s. When I mentioned the grips being imperfect, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted new ones. The right grip has some scuffing but it really doesn't bother me at all. I like it as it is.

Attachment 223309Attachment 223310

I'll tinker with it a bit more at the range, but to be honest I don't care to get drastic with a different load for it. I have a good load that I like for my other 9mm pistols, and other than shooting way high it seems to make consistent little groups in this gun too. In my other guns my favorite load shoots point of aim just like factory ammo.

I'll try some different loads and other things before I decide what to do but I'd sure be surprised if I find a different ammo that shoots enough lower to make a difference. At this point I can't see anything mechanical causing it to shoot so high; I wonder if the barrel was bored off center or something? If there's nothing mechanically wrong, and I'm disinclined to switch to non-standard ammo for this gun, then I think carefully adding a little height to the front sight seems like a logical thing to do, especially if it's not a permanent alteration.

I personally think you should experiment with adding some sort of JB weld type material to the front site and filing or sanding a "TWEAK " or two to your site as necessary, If needed at all. I agree that for a $199 firearm it is not logical to adjust all your ammo to fit it while ignoring the ammo for other firearms of that caliber in your safe. I am aware others have disagreed but I have had many firearms of one type or another that required minor tweaks to a small part ( that you are not going to be showing off) to achieve desired results. BTW some times it requires a couple of tries to get the JB weld type material to glump on and stay where you put it before filing off the excess. Good luck.
    regards,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast