Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92s

Boolit Master

Beretta 92s

Numrich had a Father's Day special I got an email about: Italian police trade in Beretta 92s pistols for $199.

I know these have been on the market for a while but I hadn't really looked at them before. I've never even owned a Beretta. Anyone here have one of these?

Boolit Master

I wonder if they shoot theirs more . . . or less that a police agency in the US of A?

Price certainly seems right
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    RE: 92S;

I bought four of them in the last offering; condition comparable to my four S&W M64 police trade-ins - some good, some worn - but all were very smooth & quite a good value.

This Euro model has the heel mag release; so for extra mags, can use Taurus M92 mags but not the US M92 mags unless you add a catch cutout near the magazine base - which wasn't difficult, but just an FYI. The one mag they'd ship with is very nice.

I acutally like the heel mag release as it is close in placement to my Ruger MkII pistols - but some may not like that.

Great pistols & very smooth. All metal of course, not like our new M92's which have the plastic guide rod and ?plastic trigger? now.

$200 ?? Buy buy buy.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 06-21-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Jeez for that price they are a steal. That said I have seen examples running from looking like they were dragged behind a school bus to virtually new, unfired. For $200US how can you go wrong?

I love my 92A1 and Compact. Accurate and dead nuts reliable.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

Thanks everyone. I was at work and almost deleted the email, but mentioned it to my wife on the phone. We’ve been pinching pennies pretty tight due to some medical bills, but a couple hundred bucks won’t break the budget so she got online and bought it for me. They were sold out the next day.

I’ll let you all know how it looks when it gets here.

Boolit Master

Are they 9mm x 19, luger, nato or 9mm Largo?

Boolit Master

They're a standard, modern 9x19 pistol. The only real difference that I can see is the mag release is in a different place.

Boolit Master
    And the decocker is slide-mounted, not frame mounted as I understand the US models to be.

[QUOTE=Kestrel4k;4395004]And the decocker is slide-mounted, not frame mounted as I understand the US models to be.[/QUOTE

All but the early versions of the 92 Series pistols have the decocker on the slide rather than the frame, including those Beretta pistols manufactured in the US. Several other pistol manufacturers have mounted the decocker on the frame - CZ and SIG come to mind. Most manufacturers mount the safeties on the frame including CZ, S&W, Colt and others. A lot just depends on the model and design of the gun.

For a long time I stayed away from the 92 Series because of the slide mounted decocker only to discover the gun late in my shooting and now think the Beretta 92FS and it's sibblings is one of the best pistols I own. The slide mounted decocker works just fine.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

The 92 is a large/big pistol, and with the 9mm cartridge, it really makes it easy for me to stay on target and be accurate when shooting fast.

Recoil seems low due to weight of the gun, and recovery/sights on target is easy and quick.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

The Taurus PT92 has a frame mounted safety/decoder that works perfectly and doesn’t require a different movement of the safety from the 1911 to work as you might think.
    I like to be able to work my handguns in the same manner so I won’t make a mistake when it may count.

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    The Taurus PT92 has a frame mounted safety/decoder that works perfectly and doesn’t require a different movement of the safety from the 1911 to work as you might think.
    I like to be able to work my handguns in the same manner so I won’t make a mistake when it may count.
    That works IF you are a large fan of the 1911. I can't imagine anyone familiar with the 92 decocker system would have difficulty using it or the 1911. For one thing once you apply the decocker while reloading and raise the decocker lever there is nothing else to do. The gun is essentially in the same ready position as a revolver or a striker fired pistol. Completely safe to carry yet ready to fire simply by pulling the DA trigger.

Those weaned on striker fired pistols argue there is no need for a frame mounted safety like that found on the 1911. Odd how perspective changes from one generation to another.

Take Care

Bob

My concern was the safety lever on the Beretta 92 needs to be pushed upwards to release the safety, which is the exact opposite of the Taurus PT92 and the 1911. I want my pistols to work in the same manner.
    I really don't care about the decocker or how it works, just the safety mechanism. And I am a fan of the 1911.

I know what you mean but you push the lever up once you load the gun and then carry it that way. There is no need to touch it again unlike the 1911 where you carry it cocked and locked and you have to release the safety before firing. The up/down action is not relevant that is all I am saying.

Take Care

Bob

I understand.
    I am so used to working the 1911 that I try to get pistols that work in a similar fashion.
    The fun part is I can carry the Taurus cocked and locked since applying the safety does not drop the hammer as happens with the Beretta. That long, hard, double action pull does nothing to help my accuracy.
    My other semi auto pistols can either be cocked and locked or just have a safety that works similar to the 1911.
    The only other handguns I will carry are revolvers.

Well carrying a decocked pistol is pretty much the same as carrying a revolver. If you carry a revolver the Da pull of the 92 Series would be the same. I do agree there is nothing as crisp as the SA pull of the 1911.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master

Well, it arrived and I picked it up at the LGS today. I have to say I'm shocked at the condition and regretful about buying it.

Shocked because it looks almost like new, and regretful that I only bought one! Other than some scuffing on one grip, I'd say this gun is an honest 95%. Inside and out, it's almost pristine. After shipping, transfer, and OSP BGC, it came to $260.

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    Well, it arrived and I picked it up at the LGS today. I have to say I'm shocked at the condition and regretful about buying it.

Shocked because it looks almost like new, and regretful that I only bought one! Other than some scuffing on one grip, I'd say this gun is an honest 95%. Inside and out, it's almost pristine. After shipping, transfer, and OSP BGC, it came to $260.
    Ya stole it! The 92's are great pistols.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Master

Here's a question for you guys:

I shot this gun at the range. It makes nice little groups, but shoots way high. I didn't measure, but something like 8" to 10" at 25 yards. The front sight is a machined part of the slide, and the rear sight is pretty low already. Any ideas as to what can be done with it?

Boolit Master

Enough metal to dovetail and add a sight?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast