Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

View Poll Results: Who is king of the 32s?

Voters
248. You may not vote on this poll
  • 32 S&W Long

24 9.68%
  • 32 H&R Mag

71 28.63%
  • 327 Federal Mag

80 32.26%
  • 32-20 WCF

61 24.60%
  • Other

15 6.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: King of the 32s?

Boolit Master

Great looking guns Green Frog!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy

I have a 32/20, a couple of 32 S&Ws, a 32 H&R, but the leader is the 327 mag. The 327 is a better revolver round than the 32/20 and it will chamber all of the others mentioned. What is not to like about the 327?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by saleen322 View Post
    I have a 32/20, a couple of 32 S&Ws, a 32 H&R, but the leader is the 327 mag. The 327 is a better revolver round than the 32/20 and it will chamber all of the others mentioned. What is not to like about the 327?
    ^^^^ This^^^^
    I've had pistols and revolvers from 32 S&W (the short one) and 32 ACP up to the 32-20 and 327, and each had their own purposes and strengths. At the moment I have little to no use for the shortest rounds, but 32 S&W Long in a little carry gun is attractive... maybe even a 32 H&R (Mag wannabe) but the undisputed KING of 32s is the 327 Fed Mag in an appropriately sized platform. There are over a half dozen 32s of various stripes around here now so this statement is based on my empirical testing.

YMMV, but I doubt it!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Bub
    My vote goes to 32-20. Reason is I have a “buckeye” and get very good accuracy and max loads out of it. Haven’t developed a good 32 h&r load for it yet with the extra cylendar.

Boolit Grand Master
    The single-best source of data I have found for 32 H&R Magnum is in the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual, #1 (1986), pp. 133. The data uses the RCBS #32--98-SWC bullet, which has been the best-performing bullet in my 32 SWL and 32 HRM for years, and shows early promise in the 327 Federal up to 1100 FPS.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master
    Somebody went in and voted on the poll and reopened this old thread.

When my ship comes in (assuming I’m not waiting at the bus station and miss it) I’ll buy a RBH Buckeye Special 32 combo and have the H&R chambers deepened to 327 Mag length. Otherwise I’ll start with a RBH in 30 Carbine and have Hamilton Bowen do custom cylinders in 32-20 and 327 FM and keep on rolling! There simply is nothing better than the 327 in a properly sized platform.

Of course after I buy Smith & Wesson I’ll drop by the tool room and have them build me an L-frame 327 in stainless. Now that would be the ultimate 32 handgun!!!

Froggie

I hit the wrong button..
    32-20 is what I wanted to push.

Boolit Master
    Updating my post from a year ago this time...

Still have the:
    S&W Model 53 6"
    Freedom Arms 97 6.5"
    Ruger LCR

Sold the:
    Ruger SP-101 3"
    S&W 632-2 PRO

Picked up:
    S&W 16-2 4" .32 H&R Magnum (in trade for the PRO)
    Ruger Single-Six stainless birdshead .32 H&R Magnum

Also picked up a Ruger GP-100 4" stainless but sold it to a friend when I picked up the 16-2....

Now to get out and shoot them a little more...

Bob

Boolit Master
    I'm late to the 32 game, but I will say that my sp101 3" 327 is an absolute joy to shoot. Cant go wrong with 327 federal magnum.

I have an 1873 pattern single action by Uberti and a 1914 Colt Army Special, both 5 1/2 and .32.20 plus a Marlin 94 in the same caliber. I have other hand guns and other calibers but the Colt is the most used except for personal protection in the "Big City." It is a cartridge that I understand and is demonstrated to work. Anything shot with it won't know the difference between it and any other upper end .32.
    ammo is abundant (5 gallon bucket full) thanks to a Dillon 550. Any of the "big" .32s are OK but the .32-20 is my choice and the Colt AS is my choice of the choice.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    I have 3 of the 4 calibers listed and am looking for the fourth and fifth (.32acp). I guess I just like the .32's!

Boolit Master

Without purusing the whole thread, as others have probably already said the true king and for nostalgia reasons, the 32 WCF is king.

With that said, I think Federal has done alot for the caliber with the introduction of the 327. It has made the 32 H&R what it should have been or almost loaded to by the handloader in a tougher case that can withstand hard use. The 32 WCF might be king but the cases are fragile and need a delicate touch in loading, perticularly the resizing.

Also, hats off to Henry for the introduction of the 327 into their line-up to save money going after a 32 lever.

Now, if someone can come up with a feasible 25 cal replacement for the 25-20 that the big two (rem and win) no longer want to load and produce brass for we'll be set.

I really like my NMBH 32wcf/32hr combo. If was looking for another, the 8 shot bh or the gp100 would be choice without an oal restriction that is placed on the S7 cylinder length but for everyday packability, the s7 hands down.
    Last edited by Greg S; 07-06-2019 at 08:47 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Now, if someone can come up with a feasible 25 cal replacement for the 25-20 that the big two (rem and win) no longer want to load and produce brass for we'll be set.

i agree on the replacement 25 cal. i would like to see a super magnum 25 acp with a full rim on it

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I'm starting to get the itch for a 32 cal revolver to carry around the homestead. Something that would be easy to carry, fast to shoot, and would be great for a little plinking. Not to mention dispatching the occasional snake, opossum, armadillo, or even coyote if one is ever ballsy enough to get that close.

There are four I'm looking into. The 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, and the 32-20 WCF. I feel all would be up to the task, but there can only be one king. I'm leaning towards the 327 Fed as it can shoot both the long and the H&R, while also outclassing even rifle only 32-20 in a much shorter barrel.

I have to say that a Ruger Single Seven in 327 Fed is very appealing, though a little pricey. What do you guys think?

I love mine. Got it in trade a couple years ago. You can load it mild to WILD!
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by scotth View Post

i agree on the replacement 25 cal. i would like to see a super magnum 25 acp with a full rim on it

Hear hear! There's a huge gap between the .22 LR/.22 Mag and the .32 cal rounds.

I'd love both a rimmed and non-rimmed round. If I had to choose just one it would be the non-rimmed round. Handguns can be built to handle the non-rimmed stuff.

Imagine something like a Ruger 10/22 on steroids! Shooting a .25 cal 75-85 gr boolit at 1500 fps!
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Grand Master
    Burnt Fingers,

Although I have two rifles in 25-20 SS, they were acquired purposely for 200 yd target work... the very reason the cartridge was designed. I know the 25-20 WCF is a shorter round physically, but it is ballistically a virtual twin. I cannot imagine any task I could do with that round I couldn't do as well or better with one of the straight side 32s (except punch a quarter inch hole. )

Maybe if there had ever been a centerfire round (or family of rounds) based on the 25 rimfire, my opinion would be different, but somehow I doubt it. There just isn't any purpose I can envision to do this, and I'm having a tough enough time trying to get the 32 family out there for the common man!

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    OK, BF, I reread your post and picked up on the 10-22 part. I'm not sure that platform would support any existing 25 CF round, but it would be kinda fun in a carbine length rifle. I'm still in handgun mode and my previous answer still applies. JMHO, YMMV!

Froggie

PS Maybe a Mini-14 platform to start on?

Boolit Master

Elmer Keith said the .25 Stevens Long RF was a lot better killer than .22LR. Just saying.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

scotth;
    "Now, if someone can come up with a feasible 25 cal replacement for the 25-20 that the big two (rem and win) no longer want to load and produce brass for we'll be set."

Actually, it is a simple matter to buy Starline 32/20 cases and run them through a 25/20 full length die to give you excellent 25/20 brass. Until I lost the vision in my right eye, I had a Marlin Cl 25/20 lever action that was a wonderful field gun. It would regularly shoot possibles on the fifty yard small bore target. It was a perfect edible small game rifle when loaded with the Lyman cast 257420 bullet. 4.0 grs of Unique gave a nice quiet squirrel load that worked perfectly. Using a full case of RL-7, you could drive that cast bullet to nearly 2200 fps. without issue.

I used my rifle in the field and on the range with excellent results for a number of years. It was FAR superior to the .22 rimfire for game.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Bub
    a small game Cartridge or a nice quiet squirrel load is what i am talking about i think the .251 bullet with a longer 25 acp case would do way better then the 22lr until then i will stick with my 32's

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast