RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: Who is king of the 32s?

Voters
248. You may not vote on this poll
  • 32 S&W Long

24 9.68%
  • 32 H&R Mag

71 28.63%
  • 327 Federal Mag

80 32.26%
  • 32-20 WCF

61 24.60%
  • Other

15 6.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: King of the 32s?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Looks to me like you have an old Tyler T grip on some of yours. I have an old one rattling around for a J frame. I was just wondering if it would fit a hand ejector I frame. Just curious.
    If your T-grip is for an "early" J-frame or "modified I-frame, pre-1957, it will fit. If cut for a modern J-frame it will "work" but won't fit perfectly. But fear not, Tyler Manufacturing is still in business http://www.t-grips.com/ FOR ORDERING, you may send in a personal check, postal money order, cashier's check, or bank money order to:

Tyler MFG, PO BOX 492, NEWALLA, OK 74857
    PHONE NUMBER: 405-625-4992, Call, Leave a message, or text, phone hours: M-F 1 PM to 5 PM CST
    tylermfg@gmail.com

Not "in stock" for immediate shipment, but worth the wait, they can make to order for you a T-grip to fit the older S&W I-frame. Delivery is about 30 days. They are also the only game in town to properly fit the pre-1940 Colt Police Positives, Pocket Positive and New Service, here are a few more of mine, excuse the thread drift, these are .38 S&W/Colt New Polices:

Attachment 222519Attachment 222520Attachment 222521
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Model 30 and 30-1 Smiths are cute as a bugs ear and will shoot scary well at 25 yards if you can see the sights and hold them steady.
    I agree. I have both and they both shoot very well.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    I love the little S&W revolvers, but what I really want is this!!!

https://youtu.be/qV3wr2ABoRg

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Grand Master

I just got out to try my new 5" GP100 327 federal. 120 grain cast SWC and 12 grains of AA #9 provides 1490 FPS average, and a 145 grain "SSK" style gas check went 1280 FPS average with 10 grains AA #9. With this kind of performance, I wouldn't feel scared to use it on deer at all. I can't say that about any other 32.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I just got out to try my new 5" GP100 327 federal. 120 grain cast SWC and 12 grains of AA #9 provides 1490 FPS average, and a 145 grain "SSK" style gas check went 1280 FPS average with 10 grains AA #9. With this kind of performance, I wouldn't feel scared to use it on deer at all. I can't say that about any other 32.
    How's the trigger on it?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    How's the trigger on it?
    Much better than my SP101, but not as good as a number of other GP100's I've handled. The double action is much more impressive. The single action has no creep, but seems too heavy, maybe 5 pounds. It's only had 55 rounds through it though. A lot of guys say they don't like the grips. I am happy with them. The shape fits good, maybe a little small for my giant meat claws. They don't seem to ride up in the hand while shooting at all like others were saying. The gold bead front sight it kind of pointless. I just ignore the bead and it is a plain old black blade. I'm going to see if I can't take the bead out, and paint the blade orange.

Boolit Grand Master

I am a BIG fan of .32’s for range and small game use. However, that, to me, means a 100 gr WC or SWC AT 850-950 fps. Like most hunters, I didn’t normally wear ear protection while hunting. I have ZERO desire of a one shot “eardrum shattering” 1500 fps magnum of any caliber for general small game use.

My 631, a truly great little revolver which will shoot either a .32 S&W Long or a .32 H&R case and bullet loaded to the above specs (850-950 fps) with accuracy of less than an inch at 25 yards. That combination just flat works.

This is an SP101 with a red dot sight. After a trigger job, this also works extremely well. I gifted my grandson with this and his grin after shooting it with modest loads is priceless.

Then, the S&W 16-4 in .32 H&R Mag. This has been an extemely satisfying handgun for both “on the range and in the field.

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

For small game, and most of my target shooting, I've been using 3.5 grains of American select (or 700X). No doubt a magnum is ear splitting. I can't tell the difference between the 327, 357, 41, or 44 mags. Luckily I wear a thick hat when deer hunting, which at least keeps my ears from ringing more than a few minutes. Now the 454 Casull, that is an obnoxious cartridge, especially with a muzzle brake. You don't just hear it, you feel the pressure wave.

Boolit Grand Master

There have been complaints of the .327 when used with less than full loads. Velocity swings of more than 100 fps with accuracy problems. That would disqualify the .327 for me. On the other hand, I have had no such problem with either the .32 S&W Long or the .32 H&R.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

From who? Can't be case size, 32 H&R is only .125" shorter.

Fed 100
    3.5 grains American Select
    120 grain SWC

Velocity from my 3" SP101 was in the ballpark 1000-1100 fps. Standard deviation is better than anything else I've tried, under 10 FPS. The one and only load that provides huge velocity swings I've found is 6-6.5 grains of Bluedot. At 5.8 grains it shoots decent, but dirty. At 7.2-7.4 grains it is clean and fairly consistent.

Accuracy from my 16.5" barrel Henry is very consistent at 1.5" at 50 yards. I'm not nearly as good with a handgun, but I had no problems keeping them under 3" at 25 yards with my new GP100.

Other things to note about 327...
    Federal 100 primers seem to get really flat, but it's not as bad with very slow powders like H110 or AA #9. CCI 500's seem to be the most consistent performers, and are much thicker.
    All sizing dies size to about .330" (my Lee sized to just under .329"), when .334" would be more than sufficient. I've just started sizing with a FCD, then "neck" sizing with the other die. I had problems with split cases and sticky extraction that seems to have been taken care of entirely by doing this.
    I've found that the 100 grain XTP turns to shrapnel when launched at high velocities, at least in dirt. Not a good bullet for the rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

Mega;
    The Handloader - gentleman wrote in complaining about it and Brian Pierce agreed that he had seen it, also. 1/8” in that relatively small caliber CAN make a difference.

Me, I will continue to be MORE than happy with my .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R cases.

Hey! To each his own, I always say...

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    Mega;
    The Handloader - gentleman wrote in complaining about it and Brian Pierce agreed that he had seen it, also. 1/8” in that relatively small caliber CAN make a difference.

Me, I will continue to be MORE than happy with my .32 S&W Long and .32 H&R cases.

Hey! To each his own, I always say...

Dale53
    The only piece I know of is by Brian Pierce, and after looking at it, he does talk about erratic velocities, but he stated it had to do with weak jacketed and plated bullets. Here is the article. https://loaddata.com/articles/PDF/LD...arce%20LR1.pdf It is something to keep in mind. As I've said plenty of times, good 32 caliber bullets are holding the 327 federal back. Us casters are taking full advantage, but the normal guy cant. The best you can buy from the local store is the 100gr XTP. The 115gr gold dot was much better, and a 125 or 135 grain soft point or hollow point for hunting bigger game like hogs, deer, etc. would do a good service to all 32's.

Maybe you have a point on the 32 S&W, I've never gone below 3 grains of anything. I can say with authority that you can load 327 federal brass to 32 H&R levels, and have accuracy every bit as good.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    Not meaning to disagree with your choice, but just wanted to mention that your picture of the Smith J frame in the top photo got me envious. I picked up a 1903 hand ejector a few months ago and have enjoyed plinking with 98 gr. SWC loads, but your newer Smith has me thinking about getting one. It is pertier than a speckled pup under a red wagon.
    No disrespect but Please,,, That is a 6" GP-100!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    No disrespect but Please,,, That is a 6" GP-100!
    You are getting 1540 FPS with that 132 grain bullet? That is cooking! Now my mind is turning with ideas of a 140gr+ hollow point.

Boolit Mold
    For what the OP is talking about, I would suggest the Ruger LCR in .327. I rarely shoot full power .327 Federal in mine but it is perfect for a bib pocket or jacket pocket with the enclosed hammer. My most common revolver to grab for putting down a raccoon is a S&W #30 in .32 Long. I made a pile of the raccoons that had been feasting on my chickens in the past.

Andrew

Boolit Master

Megasupermagnum,

If you load .32 S &W then you will definitely go below 3 grains of powder. I load 1.1 grains of BULLSEYE under a 78gr LYMAN #311252 to shoot in a old S & W Lemon Squeezer Break Top, chambered in .32 Short & Wimpy. I've put about 100 rounds thru it in the last 40yrs. Most all of it in COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING Side Matches. My Mother gave it to me after her Mother passed on. My Grandma had carried in her purse for 50yrs. It was in a custom made holster, velvet lined in her purse. I believe a shoemaker probably fitted the special holster to each new purse. It was Nickel Plated with Mother of Pearl grips with Factory S&W Medallions. It was in 90% condition and clean as could be. Had 6 rounds of REM-UMC ammo in it, Copper-Coated RN. I found the ammo box in a REAL hatbox in her closet. 25rds of ammo & 20 empty cases. She definitely new how to use it. There was a BEAUTIFUL Little WINCHESTER Model 62 in .22LR in a Tooled Leather Saddle Scabbard in the closet too. Found ammo in the hatbox for it too.
    My kids started shooting that RUGER SSM WITH that .32 S&W BULLSEYE load. Only .32 S&W load I've ever used. I use a .32 S&W LONG medium load for most of the shooting in it. But I always drybrush the chambers every time I shoot the longs so as to chamber the H&R cases without a problem. Use the SAECO 100gr SWC flat base for most of my H&R loads. And the Lee 93gr RN for the Longs.

Use that same LYMAN #311252 cast of straight Linotype over 2.3grs of BULLSEYE for the .32ACP. My COLT 1903 and french WALTHER PP both shoot to POI at 50ft with that load.

Yep, if your gonna shoot the little light .32 loads, ya better get used to tiny charges of powder. I use a LYMAN Model 55 Powder Measure. To throw those tiny charges of BULLSEYE. It's the only Measure I've found, reliable ENOUGH to do the job. I bought the extra small pistol rotor for my HORNADY L-N-L Powder Measure, I've yet to try it. I don't want to dismount the L-N-L from my PROGRESSIVE to try it for just the couple of hundred rounds that will probably last the rest of my life.
    Last edited by Walks; 06-23-2018 at 02:48 AM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tinstarfirearms View Post
    For what the OP is talking about, I would suggest the Ruger LCR in .327. I rarely shoot full power .327 Federal in mine but it is perfect for a bib pocket or jacket pocket with the enclosed hammer. My most common revolver to grab for putting down a raccoon is a S&W #30 in .32 Long. I made a pile of the raccoons that had been feasting on my chickens in the past.

Andrew
    Being as I have the LCR and SP101 with fixed sights, they wont work for the OP. Unless you win the sight lottery, the fixed sights will more than likely be off, both mine are. I'd take a hard look at the 4.2" SP101. Nothing wrong with the single 7, but boy that cylinder is short. I think that 3" SP101 with a wind age adjustable sight is probably the best out there (Dale53 has one pictured). I wish I had known they quit that when I bought my 3" new.

Boolit Grand Master

@Walks

I have never tried 1 grain, I could see how that could be a problem in a 327, especially considering you could charge the same case 12 times or more and still seat a bullet! I also have a Lyman #55, and find it to do pretty well. Surprisingly, I've found the Lee perfect powder measure (the hand not the auto) to be better, at least with the flake powders I use. If you ever load rifle, the Lee is a godsend. That Lyman is a crunch box with stick powders.

Boolit Master
    For those who may not be aware, and gripe about the DA trigger pulls on 327FM DA revolvers. The proper (factory) primer is a small rifle primer that takes more umph to reliably kick off, than a small pistol magnum primer. If you do trigger jobs where the hammer spring is reduced, you will likely start seeing FTFs with factory ammo. Been there, done that! This is why a GP100 in 357 has a better factory trigger pull, same as with DA rimfire revolvers, you've got to have that hard smack on the primer.

Boolit Master
    ...another .327 fan here... Had several .32 H&R Mags but just never bonded with any of them. Friend has a bunch of them and really loves them. But when the .327 came out the velocity really caught my attention...

Currently have:
    Freedom Arms 97 6.5" barrel
    S&W Model 53 6" converted by Jack Huntington to .327...is what S&W should be making.
    Ruger SP-101 3" old model with the windage adjustable rear sight
    Ruger LCR, ugly but what a great shooter...and...

Just lucked into a S&W 632-2 Pro. Some dealer had a BuyNow on it of $600.00. Had been seeing them for double that and immediately bought it...should be here on Tuesday...

Would also one day like to get a GP-100 in either the 4" stainless or 5" blue...

Bob

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast