Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Who is king of the 32s?

Voters
248. You may not vote on this poll
  • 32 S&W Long

24 9.68%
  • 32 H&R Mag

71 28.63%
  • 327 Federal Mag

80 32.26%
  • 32-20 WCF

61 24.60%
  • Other

15 6.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: King of the 32s?

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, the only thing we can say for sure is that this thread has proven once again that there is a 32 of one sort or another to make just about any of us happy! That's why I figure the gun that handles the widest variety of 32s is the most likely to satisfy the most folks... especially me!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    It is no accident that 32 caliber handgun threads tend to get lengthy on this site.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    cwheel you may want to check cast boolits stoping power . the 32acp comes in on par witj 38 spec. not sure why on paper they shouldn't maybe people that carry the 32 shoot better only thing i can come up with. had a 1903 sold it and regretted it ever sence.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    cwheel you may want to check cast boolits stoping power . the 32acp comes in on par witj 38 spec. not sure why on paper they shouldn't maybe people that carry the 32 shoot better only thing i can come up with. had a 1903 sold it and regretted it ever sence.
    I'm not sure what 38 special you are shooting. Closest on Hodgdon is 71 grain for the 32 ACP, and 77 grain for the 38 Special. The fastest 32 ACP is listed 937 FPS, and the slowest 38 special 1,193 FPS (starting load of titegroup). They are not even comparable.

Boolit Master
    My 16-4 S&W HR converted to 327 Federal Magnum then customized is a fantastic handgun. I will not part with it.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm not sure what 38 special you are shooting. Closest on Hodgdon is 71 grain for the 32 ACP, and 77 grain for the 38 Special. The fastest 32 ACP is listed 937 FPS, and the slowest 38 special 1,193 FPS (starting load of titegroup). They are not even comparable.
    I'd like to see the definition of "stopping" from which the data is generated. Energy and velocity can't be the criteria.

Boolit Grand Master

I can appreciate the lighter 32's, but let's be realistic.

Would you take a 32 acp hunting for medium size game? (deer, hogs, sheep, etc.) If not, then why would you expect it to immediately "stop" a human or larger animal? 38 special isn't the greatest either, but it is at least capable of sending a bullet all the way through a deer. Paul Harrell tests both the 38 special and 32 ACP. Even standard pressure 38 does a lot more damage, but as he says. You be the judge. It's better than a pointy stick, by far.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    ... the 7.62x25 cartridge ... standard FMJ bullet could easily penetrate most bullet proof vests but it only made nasty little holes in people. With a good bullet and that high muzzle velocity it would have good stopping capability....
    A 7.62 FMJ that gets through the vest is certainly likely to cause more disappointment to the new owner of a nasty little hole than a .44 mg hollowpoint embedded in the Kevlar. Truth be told, a PPS-43 submachinegun does not give away a whole bunch to an M2 carbine.

The difference in "toughness" of a wild animal and a human comes into play whenever you compare defense to hunting.
    A 75 lb whitetail doe can kick a grown man's ash. Don't believe me? Jump in a hog trap with one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed fat man View Post
    A 7.62 FMJ that gets through the vest is certainly likely to cause more disappointment to the new owner of a nasty little hole than a .44 mg hollowpoint embedded in the Kevlar. Truth be told, a PPS-43 submachinegun does not give away a whole bunch to an M2 carbine.
    Particularly since the Korean and Vietnam-era 7.62x25 Combloc ammo was mild steel core PS Ball.

I have a bit of the Cold War-era 7.65 Browning with the PS bullet and can tell you from testing that if the bad guys are armed with that ammo in .32 ACP you want something better than IIa.

Attachment 222721
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Particularly since the Korean and Vietnam-era 7.62x25 Combloc ammo was mild steel core PS Ball.

I have a bit of the Cold War-era 7.65 Browning with the PS bullet and can tell you from testing that if the bad guys are armed with that ammo in .32 ACP you want something better than IIa.

Attachment 222721
    That's a mean looking round.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The difference in "toughness" of a wild animal and a human comes into play whenever you compare defense to hunting.
    A 75 lb whitetail doe can kick a grown man's ash. Don't believe me? Jump in a hog trap with one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    This is getting off topic. I don't know why I would ever purposefully get in a trap with a tiny little deer, but I can think of worse things. A full grown 225 pound buck I'd rather not mess with. Even a cat can tear a person up if you let it, but one good boot and it's game over. When it comes to bullets, I stand by humans being every bit as "tough" as a deer. What we lack in fur, we make up in muscle mass, or fat for a lot of us.

The 32 ACP and 32 S&W are what they are. Phenomenal small game cartridges, with some use in fitting in small, handy guns. They are not 38 special, no more than 25 ACP is a 380 ACP.

Whether you think the handy guns and light recoil are the kings of 32's, or the outright horsepower of the 327 federal, that's up to you.

I don't really see the argument for 32-20, any more than 30 carbine. I'd like to hear from that side.

Boolit Master
    Why o why would anyone want a 30 carbine in a revolver now days is beyond me. The only reason for the black hawk to exist was to use up cheep 30 carbine ammo in your little Iver Johnson and a handgun to go with it. The 327 really just steps all over the 30 carbine in a pistol platform IMO.

Get yourself an old Colt Police Positive. Mine's in .32WCF It's a very light revolver, capable of taking anything up to small coyotes.

Mine was a Katrina rescue that I parkerized. Made in 1911, it's still capable of hitting plates at 25 yards. Bunnies, and other small game would be no issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colt%u00252BPolice%u00252BPositive%u00252B6.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	222756

This is a very light revolver, that you'd hardly notice on your hip.

Boolit Master
    Well, I waited to read others comments to see if my thoughts would change. I voted 32sw due to the nice little kit guns its chambered in. 32hr would have been there but the J frames are too scarce with the 3 or 4 inch barrels. I've got a 3 inch 327 sp101 and like it but I load it like a 32hr. My 32WCF guns are rifles, but I think it would fall into that "just too loud" catagort for a kit gun. The S7 would be neat, I like my 32hr version, just too big and heavy for my likes as a kit gun. For use you described, I would look for a nice 31-1 4 inch, like mine. Rossi also made a M69 that is a J Frame clone in 3 inch. It shoots great and the price is right. Really would love a M31 in 32hr with adj sights, that would be "Just Right" !
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

You are getting 1540 FPS with that 132 grain bullet? That is cooking! Now my mind is turning with ideas of a 140gr+ hollow point.
    That 132 grain HP is from the Mihec 140 grain 314-140 mold, with 10# co wheel weights, 2# Linotype, 3 oz. Tin Bullion, with a gas check.

Boolit Grand Master

I still think it is amazing the velocity you get from that, when the fastest I mess with right now are 119 grain actual weight SWC's, from a very similar alloy, and they barely hit 1500 fps from a book load. 1490 average with CCI SP magnum primers, and 1498 with Federal SP primers. If you are going until you can't extract the casings, well that's another thing. Any chance you could send me a hundred or so of those bullets to try? I'd gladly pay you for them, and of course shipping.

I still think it is amazing the velocity you get from that, when the fastest I mess with right now are 119 grain actual weight SWC's, from a very similar alloy, and they barely hit 1500 fps from a book load. 1490 average with CCI SP magnum primers, and 1498 with Federal SP primers. If you are going until you can't extract the casings, well that's another thing. Any chance you could send me a hundred or so of those bullets to try? I'd gladly pay you for them, and of course shipping.
    what revolver are going to try them in?

Boolit Grand Master

A GP 100 with a 5" barrel.

Here is mine, NM Single Six "Vaquerito"

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast