Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Who is king of the 32s?

Voters
248. You may not vote on this poll
  • 32 S&W Long

24 9.68%
  • 32 H&R Mag

71 28.63%
  • 327 Federal Mag

80 32.26%
  • 32-20 WCF

61 24.60%
  • Other

15 6.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: King of the 32s?

Boolit Master
    The Blackhawks won't get any cheaper, get one while you can, it will hold it's value. I say the Single Six in the 32 maggie, it's quiet & a pound of powder will last a long time. I shoot 3 grs of WST at about 950 fps in mine with a 100 gr cast. It will handle lots of small game, no recoil, the grandkids love it & it's an easy packing six gun in a Barranti cross draw. Probably shot close to 100 grouse with it & you can eat the bullet hole.

Dick

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Mr 75 sir,

If I were going to get a 32 semi-auto, I’d look hard at the old Browning Model 1922. It looks kinda like a squirt gun, but seems to work really well. I’ve had a couple over the years and sure miss ‘em.

Speaking of oddball 32 semi-autos, I also like the Hungarian Femaru, but that chambering always seems to be “Nazi marked” and priced accordingly by the collectors’ market. Your friend the Frog
    M1922 Browning was not natural pointer for me, grip angle wrong and in panic grab-point-shoot grip safety function was inconsistent. Over the years have tried three of them and never had one completely reliable with anything other than Euro hardball.

If I couldn't have a Colt I would go for a Beretta M1935 with the recoil spring replaced with one from a .380 ACP M1934, great for the "Buffalo" loads. I have several...

Attachment 222456Attachment 222457Attachment 222458
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

In a revolver, a new Cimarron 1873 clone in .32-20 is a superlative weapon for under $500. A Colt Army Special or the newer Official Police are fine doublaction choices for the .32-20 and will handle rifle level loads with out strain. .32-20 punch from an auto; look at a CZ52 in 7.62x25. It will probably need a trigger job but the gun is basically accurate and powerful. In other autos for the lesser .32, I second the vote for the Beretta which is a sweet and reliable pistol that is still affordable. If you can stand the tariff, the Colt 1903 is as good as they get.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Hunt up an old school 631 with a 4" or 5" tube and never look back! Great trigger, small package and more than strong enough for the 32 mag.

Boolit Master
    The King of the 32s is definitely the 327. But that whole family is royalty!

I have Hand Ejectors in 32 SWL that are just plain fun. I’ve also got a couple of J Frames in 32 SWL. My 4 inch one made the fastest DRT on a possum I’ve ever seen. It was the RCBS 98 gr wadcutter through the front shoulders at about 850 FPS. Love my 32SWLs.

There’s a pair of 32 H&R SSMs in my herd. They aren’t going anywhere without me. I’ve pushed that wadcutter over 1400 FPS out of one. Usually run the NOE 315008 about 1000 FPS. Works real good.

The 327 though is the King. In my 4” GP100 7 shooter and 4” SP101 6 shooter I run NOE 315118 GC’d at 1550. Yes it’s a magnum! In my LCR snub I back it off to the NOE 315008 at 1100 FPS. It’s a wicked snubby! The 327 is the loud mouth 32. Terribly noisy! But it’s a magnum! It’s also the 32 for suited for defensive use. But you’ll need to learn sign language if you have to use it indoors.

The 32 SWL is the most fun. It’s the Prince!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    M1922 Browning was not natural pointer for me, grip angle wrong and in panic grab-point-shoot grip safety function was inconsistent. Over the years have tried three of them and never had one completely reliable with anything other than Euro hardball.

If I couldn't have a Colt I would go for a Beretta M1935 with the recoil spring replaced with one from a .380 ACP M1934, great for the "Buffalo" loads. I have several...

Attachment 222456Attachment 222457Attachment 222458
    I have a Beretta 1935 circa 1951 IIRC. Great little shooter, and a wonderfully designed field stripping procedure. I've never been overly happy with the performance of 32 ACP though. It has it's uses nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    In a revolver, a new Cimarron 1873 clone in .32-20 is a superlative weapon for under $500. A Colt Army Special or the newer Official Police are fine doublaction choices for the .32-20 and will handle rifle level loads with out strain. .32-20 punch from an auto; look at a CZ52 in 7.62x25. It will probably need a trigger job but the gun is basically accurate and powerful. In other autos for the lesser .32, I second the vote for the Beretta which is a sweet and reliable pistol that is still affordable. If you can stand the tariff, the Colt 1903 is as good as they get.
    I have a Tokarev in 7.62x25. It's got a few kinks I'm currently working though, but it should make a nice shooter once I get it to chamber ammo reliably.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    The King of the 32s is definitely the 327. But that whole family is royalty!

I have Hand Ejectors in 32 SWL that are just plain fun. I’ve also got a couple of J Frames in 32 SWL. My 4 inch one made the fastest DRT on a possum I’ve ever seen. It was the RCBS 98 gr wadcutter through the front shoulders at about 850 FPS. Love my 32SWLs.

There’s a pair of 32 H&R SSMs in my herd. They aren’t going anywhere without me. I’ve pushed that wadcutter over 1400 FPS out of one. Usually run the NOE 315008 about 1000 FPS. Works real good.

The 327 though is the King. In my 4” GP100 7 shooter and 4” SP101 6 shooter I run NOE 315118 GC’d at 1550. Yes it’s a magnum! In my LCR snub I back it off to the NOE 315008 at 1100 FPS. It’s a wicked snubby! The 327 is the loud mouth 32. Terribly noisy! But it’s a magnum! It’s also the 32 for suited for defensive use. But you’ll need to learn sign language if you have to use it indoors.

The 32 SWL is the most fun. It’s the Prince!
    Great post! I will say the .32 Mag is pretty loud as well. It has it's own loudness like the .357 Magnum. Ear ringing loud for sure. I also agree with your assertion that the .32 S&W-L is the Prince. It really is a grand caliber!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I have a Beretta 1935 circa 1951 IIRC. Great little shooter, and a wonderfully designed field stripping procedure. I've never been overly happy with the performance of 32 ACP though. It has it's uses nonetheless. I have a Tokarev in 7.62x25. It's got a few kinks I'm currently working though, but it should make a nice shooter once I get it to chamber ammo reliably.
    3 grains of AutoComp with the .309" diameter Hornady XTP at 0.955" OAL in the .32 ACP will get you 950 ps from your 3.4" Beretta 1935. In the TT33 in 7.62x25 7.4 grains of AutoComp with the same bullet gives you 1450 fps. XTP expands some, to about .40 cal in the .32 and is deep penetrator, much better than the 60-grainers. In 7.62x25 it is "da bomb!"
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

My 32 S&W Long is a fun gun to plink with,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MG_0338-_II.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	222503

But yo me king of the hill means it is giving up nothing to others, in this case I'm pretty happy with my choice of 327 Federal,, I can load it mild, but it is no slough when loaded wild and stretches it's leg's a little with a 132 grn Penta HP @ over 1540 fps,,,

Name:	Sledghamer-at-50-yards_copy.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	222504

Can hold it's own out past 100 yards with this load quite well,,,

Name:	132-gr-_Penta-_HP-100-yards-_I.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	222505

For me the 327 Federal in a GP-100 or Blackhawk woulf be my choice for King in 32 caliber, if I want top's in performance out of wheel gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    The single seven is everything you are asking for. I just picked up one with a 4.6” barrel. It is a very accurate gun if you match bullet diameter to throat size. The sp101 has a lousy trigger. The blackhawk is too heavy. I also have a .32hrm bisley, while a great gun, it is just not as handy as the short single seven, and the .327 is even more versatile than the rest.
    I forgot to mention that I picked up my single seven for $520 all in out the door.

Boolit Master

I've had a SSM 5 1/2" for 30yrs. It's been a fun little gun. All my kids transitioned to it from a Single-6ix in .22LR and then onto a S&W K- Frame & COLT SAA.

I had a .32 RUGER BISLEY for a while. Used it with hot .32WCF level loads. Wish I'd kept it. Let another COWBOY SHOOTER con me out of it, so as to have a matched pair. I've lost more good guns to my so called "friends". GEEZ I gotta get a better "class" of friends. Except at my age they seem to be dying off or moving away, faster than I can make new ones.
    But I learned enough to know if I want more power I'll go to a HOT .38SPL or .357MAG. My old hands are beat up enough by Super Hot Loads in big calibers when I was young & stupid.
    Last edited by Walks; 06-23-2018 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Incorrect model
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    I voted for the 327 Fed because it has the ability to shoot them all. Why not have all the options?

Boolit Buddy
    I have a blued Ruger SSM in the 4 5/8" barrel for a number of years now, really nice shooter and easy to pack.

Am in the process of rebuilding a old Colt Officers Model Match ( 1962 ) into a 32 H&R, new barrel and ream a 22 cylinder out.

Then I stumbled into one of the rare ones, and it is coming to my FFL buddy next week.
    A Colt Officers Model Heavy Barrel made in 1939 in 32 Police, which is Colts version of the 32 S&W long caliber. They only made that model in that caliber in 1939 and 1940, only 1000 units. I have been wanting one of those for about 40 years.

An am also in the process of rebuilding a Marlin 1892 rifle into a 32 S&W.

Yes the 32's have a sweet spot in many of our hearts
    JW

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    My 32 S&W Long is a fun gun to plink with,

Name:	MG_0338-_II.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	222503

But yo me king of the hill means it is giving up nothing to others, in this case I'm pretty happy with my choice of 327 Federal,, I can load it mild, but it is no slough when loaded wild and stretches it's leg's a little with a 132 grn Penta HP @ over 1540 fps,,,

Name:	Sledghamer-at-50-yards_copy.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	222504

Can hold it's own out past 100 yards with this load quite well,,,

Name:	132-gr-_Penta-_HP-100-yards-_I.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	222505

For me the 327 Federal in a GP-100 or Blackhawk woulf be my choice for King in 32 caliber, if I want top's in performance out of wheel gun.
    Not meaning to disagree with your choice, but just wanted to mention that your picture of the Smith J frame in the top photo got me envious. I picked up a 1903 hand ejector a few months ago and have enjoyed plinking with 98 gr. SWC loads, but your newer Smith has me thinking about getting one. It is pertier than a speckled pup under a red wagon.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    A few posts back someone mentioned wanting to find a 6" 32 revolver. This is mine, the only one I own in 32 Police. 1917 Police Positive. Lovely, lovely shooter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1508.jpg  

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i have fell in love with 32s lately. my favorite is the old 32sw but that is not on your list . the 327 will shoot all others but optimal accuracy will usually only e had witj 327 the rest may suffer due to longer bullet jump ( may still give good enough accuracy). if cost is no object then this is probably for you i prefer the 32 long because i think it would do anything you are wanting it to do and do it cheaply. check the price of ammo and reloading brass. the 32 long is the most economical of the bunch. l also love the colt hammerless and you can sometimes find one on gunbroker at a fair price. i also like the cz 50 and 70 although they can sometimes be finicky. the sw short may not fit the bill but it is awful fun to shoot.

I have to agree with Red Bear. The attraction for me of the .32s is their low noise and recoil. Those who try to load them hot until their report is ear piercing defeat the entire purpose of a mild, small game cartridge. Full charge loads in the .327 destroy any sort of edible small game, it is a varmint load, pure and simple. Not my choice for defense, either.

The .32 H&R Magnum as originally factory-loaded, to approximate black powder .32-20 revolver ballistics in a stronger, efficient case of correct capacity to produce a SUBSONIC revolver load with 100-grain lead bullet was ideal. In a strong, postwar .32 S&W Long revolver you can do the same thing, but heavier loads which approximate .38 Special +P should not be fired in the older Colt Pocket Positives and S&W M1903 .32 Hand Ejectors. While the Colt Pocket Hammerless is my favorite, I love my .32 revolvers too, obligatory eye candy attached:

Attachment 222514Attachment 222515Attachment 222516Attachment 222517Attachment 222518
    The ENEMY is listening.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I have to agree with Red Bear. The attraction for me of the .32s is their low noise and recoil. Those who try to load them hot until their report is ear piercing defeat the entire purpose of a mild, small game cartridge. Full charge loads in the .327 destroy any sort of edible small game, it is a varmint load, pure and simple. Not my choice for defense, either.

The .32 H&R Magnum as originally factory-loaded, to approximate black powder .32-20 revolver ballistics in a stronger, efficient case of correct capacity to produce a SUBSONIC revolver load with 100-grain lead bullet was ideal. In a strong, postwar .32 S&W Long revolver you can do the same thing, but heavier loads which approximate .38 Special +P should not be fired in the older Colt Pocket Positives and S&W M1903 .32 Hand Ejectors. While the Colt Pocket Hammerless is my favorite, I love my .32 revolvers too, obligatory eye candy attached:

Attachment 222514Attachment 222515Attachment 222516Attachment 222517Attachment 222518
    Looks to me like you have an old Tyler T grip on some of yours. I have an old one rattling around for a J frame. I was just wondering if it would fit a hand ejector I frame. Just curious.

Boolit Man
    I like my Colt New Police in 32. It's the only 32 handgun I own and is a recent acquisition. But with the handful of reloads I got with it, I really like the overall shooting experience!

Model 30 and 30-1 Smiths are cute as a bugs ear and will shoot scary well at 25 yards if you can see the sights and hold them steady.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast