Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Who is king of the 32s?

Voters
248. You may not vote on this poll
  • 32 S&W Long

24 9.68%
  • 32 H&R Mag

71 28.63%
  • 327 Federal Mag

80 32.26%
  • 32-20 WCF

61 24.60%
  • Other

15 6.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: King of the 32s?

Boolit Buddy

Have a Ruger Single Seven in 327 Fed and have started to load some test loads but have not tested them yet. Would like to see Rossi 92 in 327 Fed made in ss to match my single seven.

Boolit Master
    Chev williams has done just that. If you look at some of the 25acp threads you will find his posts.

Boolit Master
    That is correct.
    I have a Ruger Single Six that started out as a .32 H&R MAG but has been modified by setting the Barrel back to allow use of Ruger .22LR/.22MAG cylinders that had been Drilled, Reamed, and Chambered for:
    .32 Colt Short;
    .32 Colt Long;
    .32 Colt Extra Long;
    .32 S&W Short;
    .32 S&W Long;
    .32 H&R Magnum.
    The Colt ones are cut from Stainless Steel cylinders and the S&W ones are Blued Alloy Steel cylinders.

I also have a Custom Ruger .25ACP Single Eight with added Cylinders in longer Cartridges and a 10-5/8" long Barrel.

The Latest project is a .25ACP converted Ruger Standard Automatic MKII Pistol.

Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master
    I holds with those as holds with the .327 Federal, but there are no flies on the 32 H&R either. you pays your money and takes your choice.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    i have been fallowing chev william with his adventures in the 25 and 32 cal. game. he makes my head hurt with all he is doing . if i just had more time and money to keep up with him it would be big fun.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I holds with those as holds with the .327 Federal, but there are no flies on the 32 H&R either. you pays your money and takes your choice.
    What he said! You can always use shorter rounds in a longer revolver chamber, but longer doesn’t work! If I could only have one 32 revolver (Heaven forbid!) it would have to be chambered in 327 FM.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scotth View Post
    i have been fallowing chev william with his adventures in the 25 and 32 cal. game. he makes my head hurt with all he is doing . if i just had more time and money to keep up with him it would be big fun.
    I have Been Doing my Experiments and Conversions on a Retired/Disabled Veteran income from VA, Mil Reserve Retirement, Social Security, and a few small Civilian Retirement Payments, trading Time for money by letting my gunsmith do my projects in his 'spare moments' between better paying work.

Since only three sources of my income have ANY CoL indexing, and that is less than the actual cost of living increases (about 3/4 of CoL provided to Current government employees), my 'Discretionary Spending Funds' have shrunk over time also. As I am currently 76 years old and have not had a Union 'Work Call' for over A year now, I don't think my funding will be increasing anytime soon.

So far my experiments have been relatively Cheep as both Ruger Revolvers and the Ruger Pistol were used and cost about $300 each before California 'Acquisition fees and Taxes. The Barrel Blank for both the .25ACP Ruger conversions was a Lothar Walther Cr-Mo one that cost about $200 at the time, now they are slightly higher priced on LW website.
    Ruger Revolver conversion was done by "American Gun Works" and gunsmith Willie Clark for very reasonable charges and about 6 months waiting for each. The Ruger Pistol was done by John Taylor of Taylor Machine also for very reasonable cost.
    My Pistol Magazines are still a 'work in progress' as I just this month had the money to get the bodies cut so I can later have the parts welded to make longer Bodies to fit the Ruger Grip frame.

You CAN do such Things on a tight budget IF You are willing to save and wait rather than demanding 'instant gratification' of your desires.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 05-10-2020 at 01:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    Note that the Ruger "Single Eight" in .25ACP and other CF .25 Calibers was Started in November, 2015 and is just now getting close to complete with all its planned interchangeable Cylinders.

I traded Time (be patient) for lower Costs of the Project.

Chev. William

I think what the world needs is a 25cal rimmed straight case. Case length same as 22mag. I think the gun and ammo companies would have a big seller. The guns made for 22mg could be adapted cheaply just like they did for the .17rfs. There needs to be a few practical field cartridges. A 32 could be one of them but they are marketed more towards SD and CCW. The obsolete 25 & 32 rfs and 25/20 & 32/20 were useful and we're all that were needed for small game. Now about all that fills this notch is the 22mg.

Boolit Master
    .22Mag has a Case length of about 1.055" which is Close to the Length of my ".25MACP" wildcat, at 26.8mm long, or 26mm nominal for the "6.35x26mmSR" cartridge.
    1.400" cylinder chamber length, including throat capability of conversion Ruger Singe Six or Eight cylinders, minus the Case length at 1.055" leaves .345" for exposed bullet nose.
    If one caliber of the Bullet is inside the case, that would allow a nominal .595" bullet length. Roughly the length of a 60 grain Hornady 2510 bullet but it would need to be sized down to .251" diameter for the Cartridge under discussion.

If you make your cases by swaging down 5.7x28mm brass to .278"-.276" body Diameter leaving the rim at .312", or turning the rim diameter down to .304"-.307" would give a good Strong Case capable of holding pressures equal to the parent, about 50,000psi MAP.
    The cylinders I have been using are made from Alloy 1144 Steel (called 'Stressproof') which has a rated, as delivered from the Mill, yield strength of around 100,000psi.
    In the Ruger replacement cylinder Machined dimensions that would give a minimum wall yield strength of about 43,000psi and about a safe working strain capability of about 30,000psi Pmax MAP.

I have fired .25ACP cartridges loaded with 3.0 grains of BE-86 behind a 63 grain Lead bullet and 3.1 grains of BE-86 behind a 50 grain FMJ bullet repeatedly in my Ruger Single Eight with no problems to Date.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 07-13-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Boolit Master
    Duplicate Post Deleted

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 07-13-2019 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Duplicate post

Boolit Buddy
    I know this is primarily devoted to the long case mag revolvers, but some of my faves are a little more vintage. And my kids like them too. How bout the 32 Remington in a early pump or takedown semi-auto, they are real classics. Another is the 762 Tokarov, a souped up Mauser, again in a semi-auto. A third is the 32 auto in the afore mentioned Browning or the FN. Yes they are unusual, but Hey that makes for interesting. right?
    The 32 Rem is an overbored 30-30 with a solid history of success on all but the largest game in the continent. Many are still in use in the NE & Canada. A Tokarov was produced by the millions in Asia with another solid history. (good & bad) The 32 Auto was a JM Browning design for his early very successful line of pistols. Not a power house, however, the ammo sales still outstrip a 327 by a few.
    While I am primarily a 45 kinda guy, I must confess a soft spot for the 32s, they're interesting.
    Mr William, Thanks for the references for the smiths. It's just kinda a need for someone reliable near S Central Kentucky. Your point of limited cash flow is mutual. I had a Siamese Mauser set in a closet for 20yr waiting for blue job. Now it's Ceracoated!! Still can't find a reliable blue finish in a couple hundred miles. As you may guess blueing is required for my vintage pieces.
    Last edited by PHyrbird; 07-12-2019 at 11:50 PM.

Boolit Master

Well I guess the others have covered most of the 32's out there,I'll stay with my single 6 BH in 32mag.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

A 32 Rem is the mirror of 32 Win. The Rem line followed Win . 25rem= 25/35 Win, 30rem =30/30
    Win had 38/55 and Rem had the 35, the only one to remain popular.

I like the 327 FM and the fact that it's fairly versatile. Ive considered 32-20 but i've heard it's a little trickier to reload.

I have three of these 327's. Ruger Blackhawk, Single Seven and a Charter Target Patriot. The single actions aren't for everyone I guess but I do like the Rugers.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    For me, the king of .32's will always be the Kel-Tec P32 with energetic reloads or Euro 7.65 Browning. 7 rounds of not inconsequential firepower in a size and weight less than most .25's. Every P32 I have owned was more accurate than it had a right to be, too.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    For me, the king of .32's will always be the Kel-Tec P32 with energetic reloads or Euro 7.65 Browning. 7 rounds of not inconsequential firepower in a size and weight less than most .25's. Every P32 I have owned was more accurate than it had a right to be, too.
    The 2 I have loaded for and shot a good bit have both confirmed that for me as well.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EMC45 View Post
    The 2 I have loaded for and shot a good bit have both confirmed that for me as well.
    Very underrated gun and cartridge for sure!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Very underrated gun and cartridge for sure!

Agreed. I have personally owned 2 P3ATs, and the P32 will outshoot them any day of the week.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Is the .30 carbine an honorary. 32-20 magnum rimless?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast