RotoMetals2StainLess Steel MediaLee PrecisionWideners
Graf & SonsMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading

View Poll Results: Who is king of the 32s?

Voters
144. You may not vote on this poll
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 145

Thread: King of the 32s?

  1. #21
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Soda Springs, Idaho
    Posts
    793
    The Blackhawks won't get any cheaper, get one while you can, it will hold it's value. I say the Single Six in the 32 maggie, it's quiet & a pound of powder will last a long time. I shoot 3 grs of WST at about 950 fps in mine with a 100 gr cast. It will handle lots of small game, no recoil, the grandkids love it & it's an easy packing six gun in a Barranti cross draw. Probably shot close to 100 grouse with it & you can eat the bullet hole.

    Dick

  2. #22
    Boolit Master Outpost75's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Posts
    6,024
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Mr 75 sir,

    If I were going to get a 32 semi-auto, Iíd look hard at the old Browning Model 1922. It looks kinda like a squirt gun, but seems to work really well. Iíve had a couple over the years and sure miss Ďem.

    Speaking of oddball 32 semi-autos, I also like the Hungarian Femaru, but that chambering always seems to be ďNazi markedĒ and priced accordingly by the collectorsí market. Your friend the Frog
    M1922 Browning was not natural pointer for me, grip angle wrong and in panic grab-point-shoot grip safety function was inconsistent. Over the years have tried three of them and never had one completely reliable with anything other than Euro hardball.

    If I couldn't have a Colt I would go for a Beretta M1935 with the recoil spring replaced with one from a .380 ACP M1934, great for the "Buffalo" loads. I have several...

    Attachment 222456Attachment 222457Attachment 222458
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

  3. #23
    Boolit Master Dan Cash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Western North Dakota
    Posts
    2,771
    In a revolver, a new Cimarron 1873 clone in .32-20 is a superlative weapon for under $500. A Colt Army Special or the newer Official Police are fine doublaction choices for the .32-20 and will handle rifle level loads with out strain. .32-20 punch from an auto; look at a CZ52 in 7.62x25. It will probably need a trigger job but the gun is basically accurate and powerful. In other autos for the lesser .32, I second the vote for the Beretta which is a sweet and reliable pistol that is still affordable. If you can stand the tariff, the Colt 1903 is as good as they get.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

  4. #24
    Boolit Master mattw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    East Central Illinois
    Posts
    649
    Hunt up an old school 631 with a 4" or 5" tube and never look back! Great trigger, small package and more than strong enough for the 32 mag.

  5. #25
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Near Austin
    Posts
    942
    The King of the 32s is definitely the 327. But that whole family is royalty!

    I have Hand Ejectors in 32 SWL that are just plain fun. Iíve also got a couple of J Frames in 32 SWL. My 4 inch one made the fastest DRT on a possum Iíve ever seen. It was the RCBS 98 gr wadcutter through the front shoulders at about 850 FPS. Love my 32SWLs.

    Thereís a pair of 32 H&R SSMs in my herd. They arenít going anywhere without me. Iíve pushed that wadcutter over 1400 FPS out of one. Usually run the NOE 315008 about 1000 FPS. Works real good.

    The 327 though is the King. In my 4Ē GP100 7 shooter and 4Ē SP101 6 shooter I run NOE 315118 GCíd at 1550. Yes itís a magnum! In my LCR snub I back it off to the NOE 315008 at 1100 FPS. Itís a wicked snubby! The 327 is the loud mouth 32. Terribly noisy! But itís a magnum! Itís also the 32 for suited for defensive use. But youíll need to learn sign language if you have to use it indoors.

    The 32 SWL is the most fun. Itís the Prince!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

  6. #26
    Boolit Master am44mag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    NE Texas/SE Oklahoma
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    M1922 Browning was not natural pointer for me, grip angle wrong and in panic grab-point-shoot grip safety function was inconsistent. Over the years have tried three of them and never had one completely reliable with anything other than Euro hardball.

    If I couldn't have a Colt I would go for a Beretta M1935 with the recoil spring replaced with one from a .380 ACP M1934, great for the "Buffalo" loads. I have several...

    Attachment 222456Attachment 222457Attachment 222458
    I have a Beretta 1935 circa 1951 IIRC. Great little shooter, and a wonderfully designed field stripping procedure. I've never been overly happy with the performance of 32 ACP though. It has it's uses nonetheless.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    In a revolver, a new Cimarron 1873 clone in .32-20 is a superlative weapon for under $500. A Colt Army Special or the newer Official Police are fine doublaction choices for the .32-20 and will handle rifle level loads with out strain. .32-20 punch from an auto; look at a CZ52 in 7.62x25. It will probably need a trigger job but the gun is basically accurate and powerful. In other autos for the lesser .32, I second the vote for the Beretta which is a sweet and reliable pistol that is still affordable. If you can stand the tariff, the Colt 1903 is as good as they get.
    I have a Tokarev in 7.62x25. It's got a few kinks I'm currently working though, but it should make a nice shooter once I get it to chamber ammo reliably.
    ______________________________________________
    Aaron

  7. #27
    Boolit Master




    EMC45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East TN Mountains...Thanks be to God!
    Posts
    3,935
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    The King of the 32s is definitely the 327. But that whole family is royalty!

    I have Hand Ejectors in 32 SWL that are just plain fun. I’ve also got a couple of J Frames in 32 SWL. My 4 inch one made the fastest DRT on a possum I’ve ever seen. It was the RCBS 98 gr wadcutter through the front shoulders at about 850 FPS. Love my 32SWLs.

    There’s a pair of 32 H&R SSMs in my herd. They aren’t going anywhere without me. I’ve pushed that wadcutter over 1400 FPS out of one. Usually run the NOE 315008 about 1000 FPS. Works real good.

    The 327 though is the King. In my 4” GP100 7 shooter and 4” SP101 6 shooter I run NOE 315118 GC’d at 1550. Yes it’s a magnum! In my LCR snub I back it off to the NOE 315008 at 1100 FPS. It’s a wicked snubby! The 327 is the loud mouth 32. Terribly noisy! But it’s a magnum! It’s also the 32 for suited for defensive use. But you’ll need to learn sign language if you have to use it indoors.

    The 32 SWL is the most fun. It’s the Prince!
    Great post! I will say the .32 Mag is pretty loud as well. It has it's own loudness like the .357 Magnum. Ear ringing loud for sure. I also agree with your assertion that the .32 S&W-L is the Prince. It really is a grand caliber!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

  8. #28
    Boolit Master Outpost75's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Posts
    6,024
    Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I have a Beretta 1935 circa 1951 IIRC. Great little shooter, and a wonderfully designed field stripping procedure. I've never been overly happy with the performance of 32 ACP though. It has it's uses nonetheless. I have a Tokarev in 7.62x25. It's got a few kinks I'm currently working though, but it should make a nice shooter once I get it to chamber ammo reliably.
    3 grains of AutoComp with the .309" diameter Hornady XTP at 0.955" OAL in the .32 ACP will get you 950 ps from your 3.4" Beretta 1935. In the TT33 in 7.62x25 7.4 grains of AutoComp with the same bullet gives you 1450 fps. XTP expands some, to about .40 cal in the .32 and is deep penetrator, much better than the 60-grainers. In 7.62x25 it is "da bomb!"
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

  9. #29
    Boolit Man wildcatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    N.W. Ohio
    Posts
    95
    My 32 S&W Long is a fun gun to plink with,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MG_0338-_II.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	222503

    But yo me king of the hill means it is giving up nothing to others, in this case I'm pretty happy with my choice of 327 Federal,, I can load it mild, but it is no slough when loaded wild and stretches it's leg's a little with a 132 grn Penta HP @ over 1540 fps,,,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sledghamer-at-50-yards_copy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	222504

    Can hold it's own out past 100 yards with this load quite well,,,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	132-gr-_Penta-_HP-100-yards-_I.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	222505

    For me the 327 Federal in a GP-100 or Blackhawk woulf be my choice for King in 32 caliber, if I want top's in performance out of wheel gun.

  10. #30
    Boolit Man Wheelguns 1961's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mid atlantic area
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    The single seven is everything you are asking for. I just picked up one with a 4.6Ē barrel. It is a very accurate gun if you match bullet diameter to throat size. The sp101 has a lousy trigger. The blackhawk is too heavy. I also have a .32hrm bisley, while a great gun, it is just not as handy as the short single seven, and the .327 is even more versatile than the rest.
    I forgot to mention that I picked up my single seven for $520 all in out the door.

  11. #31
    Boolit Master Walks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    472
    I've had a SSM 5 1/2" for 30yrs. It's been a fun little gun. All my kids transitioned to it from a Single-6ix in .22LR and then onto a S&W K- Frame & COLT SAA.

    I had a .32 RUGER BISLEY for a while. Used it with hot .32WCF level loads. Wish I'd kept it. Let another COWBOY SHOOTER con me out of it, so as to have a matched pair. I've lost more good guns to my so called "friends". GEEZ I gotta get a better "class" of friends. Except at my age they seem to be dying off or moving away, faster than I can make new ones.
    But I learned enough to know if I want more power I'll go to a HOT .38SPL or .357MAG. My old hands are beat up enough by Super Hot Loads in big calibers when I was young & stupid.
    Last edited by Walks; 06-23-2018 at 01:46 AM. Reason: Incorrect model
    Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

  12. #32
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    66
    I voted for the 327 Fed because it has the ability to shoot them all. Why not have all the options?

  13. #33
    Boolit Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Adna, Washington
    Posts
    178
    I have a blued Ruger SSM in the 4 5/8" barrel for a number of years now, really nice shooter and easy to pack.

    Am in the process of rebuilding a old Colt Officers Model Match ( 1962 ) into a 32 H&R, new barrel and ream a 22 cylinder out.

    Then I stumbled into one of the rare ones, and it is coming to my FFL buddy next week.
    A Colt Officers Model Heavy Barrel made in 1939 in 32 Police, which is Colts version of the 32 S&W long caliber. They only made that model in that caliber in 1939 and 1940, only 1000 units. I have been wanting one of those for about 40 years.

    An am also in the process of rebuilding a Marlin 1892 rifle into a 32 S&W.

    Yes the 32's have a sweet spot in many of our hearts
    JW

  14. #34
    Boolit Man JoeJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Arkansas Delta
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatter View Post
    My 32 S&W Long is a fun gun to plink with,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MG_0338-_II.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	222503

    But yo me king of the hill means it is giving up nothing to others, in this case I'm pretty happy with my choice of 327 Federal,, I can load it mild, but it is no slough when loaded wild and stretches it's leg's a little with a 132 grn Penta HP @ over 1540 fps,,,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sledghamer-at-50-yards_copy.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	222504

    Can hold it's own out past 100 yards with this load quite well,,,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	132-gr-_Penta-_HP-100-yards-_I.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	222505

    For me the 327 Federal in a GP-100 or Blackhawk woulf be my choice for King in 32 caliber, if I want top's in performance out of wheel gun.
    Not meaning to disagree with your choice, but just wanted to mention that your picture of the Smith J frame in the top photo got me envious. I picked up a 1903 hand ejector a few months ago and have enjoyed plinking with 98 gr. SWC loads, but your newer Smith has me thinking about getting one. It is pertier than a speckled pup under a red wagon.

  15. #35
    Boolit Master Guesser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Posts
    1,919
    A few posts back someone mentioned wanting to find a 6" 32 revolver. This is mine, the only one I own in 32 Police. 1917 Police Positive. Lovely, lovely shooter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1508.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	222508  

  16. #36
    Boolit Master RED BEAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    outside richmond va
    Posts
    585
    i have fell in love with 32s lately. my favorite is the old 32sw but that is not on your list . the 327 will shoot all others but optimal accuracy will usually only e had witj 327 the rest may suffer due to longer bullet jump ( may still give good enough accuracy). if cost is no object then this is probably for you i prefer the 32 long because i think it would do anything you are wanting it to do and do it cheaply. check the price of ammo and reloading brass. the 32 long is the most economical of the bunch. l also love the colt hammerless and you can sometimes find one on gunbroker at a fair price. i also like the cz 50 and 70 although they can sometimes be finicky. the sw short may not fit the bill but it is awful fun to shoot.

  17. #37
    Boolit Master Outpost75's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Posts
    6,024
    I have to agree with Red Bear. The attraction for me of the .32s is their low noise and recoil. Those who try to load them hot until their report is ear piercing defeat the entire purpose of a mild, small game cartridge. Full charge loads in the .327 destroy any sort of edible small game, it is a varmint load, pure and simple. Not my choice for defense, either.

    The .32 H&R Magnum as originally factory-loaded, to approximate black powder .32-20 revolver ballistics in a stronger, efficient case of correct capacity to produce a SUBSONIC revolver load with 100-grain lead bullet was ideal. In a strong, postwar .32 S&W Long revolver you can do the same thing, but heavier loads which approximate .38 Special +P should not be fired in the older Colt Pocket Positives and S&W M1903 .32 Hand Ejectors. While the Colt Pocket Hammerless is my favorite, I love my .32 revolvers too, obligatory eye candy attached:

    Attachment 222514Attachment 222515Attachment 222516Attachment 222517Attachment 222518
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

  18. #38
    Boolit Man JoeJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Arkansas Delta
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I have to agree with Red Bear. The attraction for me of the .32s is their low noise and recoil. Those who try to load them hot until their report is ear piercing defeat the entire purpose of a mild, small game cartridge. Full charge loads in the .327 destroy any sort of edible small game, it is a varmint load, pure and simple. Not my choice for defense, either.

    The .32 H&R Magnum as originally factory-loaded, to approximate black powder .32-20 revolver ballistics in a stronger, efficient case of correct capacity to produce a SUBSONIC revolver load with 100-grain lead bullet was ideal. In a strong, postwar .32 S&W Long revolver you can do the same thing, but heavier loads which approximate .38 Special +P should not be fired in the older Colt Pocket Positives and S&W M1903 .32 Hand Ejectors. While the Colt Pocket Hammerless is my favorite, I love my .32 revolvers too, obligatory eye candy attached:

    Attachment 222514Attachment 222515Attachment 222516Attachment 222517Attachment 222518
    Looks to me like you have an old Tyler T grip on some of yours. I have an old one rattling around for a J frame. I was just wondering if it would fit a hand ejector I frame. Just curious.

  19. #39
    Boolit Buddy
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts, South Shore
    Posts
    61
    I like my Colt New Police in 32. It's the only 32 handgun I own and is a recent acquisition. But with the handful of reloads I got with it, I really like the overall shooting experience!

  20. #40
    Boolit Master Thumbcocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Central Illinois
    Posts
    2,290
    Model 30 and 30-1 Smiths are cute as a bugs ear and will shoot scary well at 25 yards if you can see the sights and hold them steady.
    You'll go far providin' you ain't burnt alive or scalped."

    Will Geer as Bear Claw in "Jeramiah Johnson"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check