Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Navy arms 1873...

Boolit Man

Navy arms 1873...

These things were expensive when they came out but are Uberti.. mine is a 30" in 44-40 which I had resisted for a while. The gun is slick.. it sold for like $2k+ in the day.. the Cimarron is now $1500.. it is a pistol grip gun with checkering... Nice color case hardening. slick action.. basically unused tho and never cleaned. I slugged the barrel and it is around .429 so I powder coated some cast .428 bullets and sized em to .430 (200 grain flat point)

No idea how it shoots cause I have not shot it yet but all seems well.. I will mostly be shooting at 100 yards with open sights.

Should be fun.

lazs

I am anxious to read the replys to your quest as well. I have a longing for one of these myself and would be interested in others experiences with the navy's as well as the new Uberti's in 73 style.

Boolit Master
    I was fortunate enough to get one about 6 months ago at an auction for $825. Still in its greasy plastic bag! It's a very nicely done rifle, I have not cast for it, but have been using Meister hard cast 200gr bullets over 16.5gr of IMR4227, Winchester primer, Winchester brass. Chronos around 1275+/- 30fps. I'm not shooting sub - MOA, but my 16 year old daughter can put a magazine full into a 4" gong at 200 yards - enough to put a smile on both of our faces!
    I recently found a 3 leaf express sight for sale - I hope to have it mounted soon.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

I personally don't care at all for the new Winchester 1873's as they're more a "resemblance" of the original 1873 than they are a reproduction.

The Uberti's though are true to form, in my experience. I don't have a 1873 in 44-40, but I do have an 1866 and it is so much fun to shoot and more accurate than I expected. I had the most fun regulating the ladder sight and have actually shot it out to a little over 300 yds. Last seasons meat buck fell to this rifle as well.

200 yds. with the ladder folded up:

The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Those Uberti 1866's are beautiful looking rifles!

Boolit Man
    Ok.. said in another thread.. I slugged the barrel and it was .429+ which is great. means 44 mag/spl bullets will work. loaded 200 rounds (all the brass I had) with 6.5 grains Trail boss and 200 grain flat nose. What a fun gun to shoot! mild recoil.. very accurate with the load I tried. 12 oz soda cans at 75 yards were dead.

The gun is HEAVY 30" long range 'sportsman' model LOL Holds like 18 rounds! I want to strip the stock and tung oil it. I might add that the gun shoots high for me at 100 yards.. Like 3" high but it has the best buckhorn sights I have ever seen with a nice white diamond at the bottom of the rear sight.

lazsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1873.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	223014

Boolit Man
    color..

lazs
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1873 (1).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	75.0 KB