Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR-15 1:7 twist

Boolit Buddy
    Not sizing. Gas checks supposed to arrive Monday.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Update. Removed the weights from my buffer and loaded some with 18 grns IMR4895. No gc (they aren't here yet). Good group. Still didn't cycle. I think I over-crimped though. A couple didn't go to battery and were very sticky to get back out. I'm sure a lot of energy was going into ejecting those wedged in brass. Will try again with lighter crimp and let you guys know. Still intend to experiment with the gc's and see if I can push them harder.

Where you located in the states? Might be able to get some 70 grainish pills in the mail for you to try
    Retired Redleg
    I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood, I don't mind going out the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smk SHoe View Post
    Where you located in the states? Might be able to get some 70 grainish pills in the mail for you to try
    PM sent.

Boolit Buddy
    Update: Gas checked boolits performed well with 20grn of powder. So did the non gas checked. They were coated, then sized, then coated again. Following that process, the gc ring was no longer detectable, giving greater surface in contact with the barrel and allowing for better obturation. So, it can work with pc and no gc. Just not very well with bullets designed for gc. Also, I got the 18grn loads to cycle most (but not all) of the time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    I was talking to a friend about reloading cast for .223 and he said if I do, make the boolits HARD. He said to use pure linotype or harder.
    That's when I decided not to cast for the .223...
    He said that the tight twist will rip soft boolits apart.
    I came to the same conclusion. I even bough Lee 55gr mold but at the end decided its not worth the trouble and I use FMJs in my 1x7 5.56. My guess is that you would want something closer to 1x9 for cast and use hard alloy possibly water quenched to add hardness.
    Instead I bought 300AAC upper and I'm happy casting for that but 30 cal is way easier to cast and load.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm just using wheel weights. Works fine.

It is pretty accepted fact that you need a gas check for anything above about 1500 fps. There are some who can push this a little. It has nothing to do with gas cutting and everything to do with keeping the back end of the boolit perfectly in tact.

The back end is the steering end as "EK" used to say.

Also all bullets have a sweet spot as far as Velocity which translates to RPM's. Spin them too fast and they go all over the place.

I would tone your load down to 18-1900 fps and see how that works. I would also use BL-C2 or W748 which are ball powders as they are alot easier to get into the cases than 4895 stick powder.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    I have a round that works, without gas check, just as accurately as the ones I put a gas check on. I have my plinking round.

Boolit Buddy
    Boolits arrived today. Tyvm. Hope to push a few downrange early next week. Where did you get that mold? That's exactly the style I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smk SHoe View Post

Boolit Buddy
    The sticky rounds/extraction problems were due to a lube buildup on the bottom of my sizing die, preventing full insertion of the brass. I was using the Lee stuff that looks like lotion in a toothpaste tube. I switched to lanolin/iso and lube hundreds at a time in a Ziploc bag. The stuff works great. Sizing time is reduced drastically. I can even leave the lubed brass overnight on the bench and just go right back to sizing the next day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12