MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Need a mold for a .410 diameter bore in a rifle.HELP.

Need a mold for a .410 diameter bore in a rifle.HELP.

So I have a winchester 1886 with a .410 bore. I now cast my bullets in an ideal reloading tool that makes .406 dia 250grn bullets. I put two pieces of aluminium tape to open up the mold abit so I could shoot accurately. Now im looking for a mold thats around 300-325 range. I dont want to get it custom made, I live in Canada so the prices from the US are abit high.Anyone have suggestions?

If 300 grains would work for what you are trying to do you could always try the RCBS .410 Silhouette bullet ...

http://rcbs.com/Products/Bullet-Cast...P-CSA-378.aspx
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

I had a 412 mold once that cast 265 grains. It was a Ranch Dog mold and did not really fit my black hawk cylinder. If a lighter bullet would work I would suggest one of the Lee 410 210 grain molds. They are cheap and can be fun to play with, and don't use too much lead. Maybe you could get one of those bored deeper for more weight.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Thanks guys. I would like a heavier bullet tho. The rcbs one looks decent, I just dont know if it would be to long to cycle in a lever action? I have a Winchester 1886 in 40-82. Im trying to add abit more punch to the rifle by adding a heavier bullet. Now im shooting 255 grn lead.

Don't know if the twist on your 1886 in .40-82 will stabilize a very heavy bullet? The cartridge was an "express" round and designed around the 260 grain bullet. If you can source some I would try a few heavier bullets in some test loads before you bought a mould ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

I load for a 1886 in .40-82, I guess I'm lucky in that my slightly dark bore mic'ed out at .405 from 3 pure lead slugs. I have the LYMAN 200gr & 240gr and RCBS 260gr. My best accuracy is with the 240gr. I size to .406, lube with WLL BAC.
    I suggest you try BUFFALO ARMS. They offer soft cast bullets in this caliber. I believe in .410 caliber.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

The 300 + grain boolits start down near the bottom of the page:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=10

You won't do better than an Accurate mould! Tom does nice work and fast. If he doesn't have what you want you can design your own or change diameter of style of what is in his catalogue... not a problem.

For a two cavity aluminum mould made to your specs you will pay about $90 US. Not bad at all.

Longbow

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    +1 on the Accurate molds. Tom has several designs for the .40-82 which have adequate lube capacity toprevent foulout using Goex powder and SPG lube.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I load for a 1886 in .40-82, I guess I'm lucky in that my slightly dark bore mic'ed out at .405 from 3 pure lead slugs. I have the LYMAN 200gr & 240gr and RCBS 260gr. My best accuracy is with the 240gr. I size to .406, lube with WLL BAC.
    I suggest you try BUFFALO ARMS. They offer soft cast bullets in this caliber. I believe in .410 caliber.
    I ordered from Buffalo arms atleast 5 times. I already ordered cartridges from them but they were to small in .406. I now make bullets with a Winchester Ideal Reloading Tool from the 1800's. I (beagled?) the mold with aluminium tape so they drop a bit bigger. I have quite alot of load data for the 40-82 that a nice man sent me on here not to long ago. Full pages of them. They stop at 310grn bullets because the rifle couldn't chamber the bigger ones I think. Why do you think larger bullets wouldn't work? What do people mean by stabilizing the bullet? It wont spin enough?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    These are Accurate's designs for the .40-82 in both plainbase and gascheck style which work in the 1886:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bul.../41-260B-D.png

http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bul.../41-260A-D.png

Nose on both of these is too long for the 1876 Winchester, for that rifle you need:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/img/bul.../41-240D-D.png
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Why do you think larger bullets wouldn't work? What do people mean by stabilizing the bullet? It wont spin enough?
    Exactly ... if your rifle has the slow 1 turn in 28" twist which is typical of the .40-82 WCF cartridge then longer and heavier bullets won't stabilize at the low velocities typical of the cartridge. It was designed as an "express" cartridge which means it was designed to shoot a lighter weight (260 grain) bullet at a higher velocity rather than a big heavy bullet at a lower velocity. They were trying to flatten out the trajectory of the bullet over longer distances.

You should check the twist rate in your rifle and then you'll have a better idea of whether it needs the lighter weight bullets to shoot accurately. Take a cleaning rod with a snug patch on it and run it down the barrel from the muzzle. Wrap a small piece of masking tape around the cleaning rod so that it makes a vertical "flag" at the muzzle that is pointing straight up at "12 O'clock". Slowly pull the cleaning rod back out of the barrel and you'll see that the snug patch will be turning as it is "following" the rifling. Keep pulling the rod out of the barrel until the "flag" of masking tape has made one full revolution and is now located at "12 O'clock" again. Measure the distance between the muzzle and the piece of masking tape with a tape measure and now you know the rifling twist in your individual rifle. The measurement you take between the muzzle and your tape "flag" will tell you that your rifling has one turn in "XX" inches and if it is the slow 1 turn in 28" twist then your .40-82 WCF is designed to shoot the lighter 260 grain bullets. You might get away with shooting up to a 300 grain bullet, but you'd have to try some test loads to find out how well they shoot.

My Winchester .40-82 WCF is an 1885 High Wall single shot mfg in 1889 and it has the typical slow rifling twist that is common of the cartridge and so I shoot the Lyman 260 grain plain base cast bullet in it. I previously had an 1886 Winchester lightweight (rapid taper barrel) octagon rifle in .40-82 WCF and worked my loads up in it. Unfortunately I was talked out of the '86 when I was offered FAR too much money for it to turn down, but was lucky enough to find this sincere old 1885 in the same calibre to replace it.

Boolit Master
    Talk to Boomer in Canada . He makes a good custom mould for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    Exactly ... if your rifle has the slow 1 turn in 28" twist which is typical of the .40-82 WCF cartridge then longer and heavier bullets won't stabilize at the low velocities typical of the cartridge. It was designed as an "express" cartridge which means it was designed to shoot a lighter weight (260 grain) bullet at a higher velocity rather than a big heavy bullet at a lower velocity. They were trying to flatten out the trajectory of the bullet over longer distances.

You should check the twist rate in your rifle and then you'll have a better idea of whether it needs the lighter weight bullets to shoot accurately. Take a cleaning rod with a snug patch on it and run it down the barrel from the muzzle. Wrap a small piece of masking tape around the cleaning rod so that it makes a vertical "flag" at the muzzle that is pointing straight up at "12 O'clock". Slowly pull the cleaning rod back out of the barrel and you'll see that the snug patch will be turning as it is "following" the rifling. Keep pulling the rod out of the barrel until the "flag" of masking tape has made one full revolution and is now located at "12 O'clock" again. Measure the distance between the muzzle and the piece of masking tape with a tape measure and now you know the rifling twist in your individual rifle. The measurement you take between the muzzle and your tape "flag" will tell you that your rifling has one turn in "XX" inches and if it is the slow 1 turn in 28" twist then your .40-82 WCF is designed to shoot the lighter 260 grain bullets. You might get away with shooting up to a 300 grain bullet, but you'd have to try some test loads to find out how well they shoot.

My Winchester .40-82 WCF is an 1885 High Wall single shot mfg in 1889 and it has the typical slow rifling twist that is common of the cartridge and so I shoot the Lyman 260 grain plain base cast bullet in it. I previously had an 1886 Winchester lightweight (rapid taper barrel) octagon rifle in .40-82 WCF and worked my loads up in it. Unfortunately I was talked out of the '86 when I was offered FAR too much money for it to turn down, but was lucky enough to find this sincere old 1885 in the same calibre to replace it.

Do you know what bore diameter you have in that rifle? I am relaoding and my cartridges wont chamber. I posted a thread on the leverguns page. People are telling me it wont chamber because the bullet is to big for the chamber.... How am I supposed to shoot a smaller bullet? My barrel is a .409. I shot .406 bullets before and literally couldn't hit a target point blank!

When I first started loading for the 1886 I had it wouldn't shoot either. Key-holed at 25 yards with 6 to 8" groups. Read an article by Mike Venturino where he worked up loads for a Marlin 1895 in .40-82. The use of a filler made all the difference. I use his load of 35 to 36 grains of IMR3031 and yellow cornmeal as a filler to the base of the bullet so that it is lightly compressed when the bullet is seated. Those loads shoot 2 to 2 1/2" groups at 100 yards with no signs of tipping with the exact same load and the exact same bullets that I tried without the filler.