MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paper patch bullets and silhouettes.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot have a water bottle beside them and take drink every few shots to help keep moisture up. Another thing this may help with is one of the first things affected by dehydration is eye sight a swig every few shots may keep vision sharper also

Boolit Buddy
    “...keep vision sharper also“. Good breathing technique too.
    Richard

Boolit Buddy
    Randy, Permit are the most elusive, a good 10 wgt works well. I’d better get back on track.
    Richard

Boolit Buddy
    So for idiots like me what exactly is a "bore critter" ? Thanks !

Boolit Master
    Road_Clam,
    They are some form of an integrated bore wiping tool. Trade names like Texas Bore Pigs, Bore Weasels, Bore Gophers, Bore Wipes (not very original there, BACO), and others have been created by people that get this job done. All of them are variations on the Fisher Brush system from the late 1800s.

Most of the incorporate some sort of scrubbing ability that carries wiping fluid (water or an black elixir) and something that acts as a squeegee on the back end to remove most/all of the fluid and fouling.

This is one of recent reinventions, the Texas Bore Pig

And here is a Bore Gopher - my own design

The phylogenetics of these critters is a little confused, but we don't worry too much about that.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Brent what do you use for those washers
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    They are 1/2" OD x 3/16" ID x 1/16" neoprene from Ace Hardware. I add the source because I have bought the same washers from a machine supply shop for MUCH less money but they lasted less than one season. Though they were cheaper, the Ace Hardware versions have outlasted them by a couple of years.

A friend sent me some smaller ones for a .40 cal. They were from WalMart of all places but the rubber looks real good, and they have nice sharp edges that should make good squeegees. Also there are website suppliers (names I do not know) that specialize in various forms of rubber washers for different purposes and materials. Some of them might be much better than what I have, but what I have works pretty well, so I haven't really explored.

Thanks for the info, might try to work some up, I like that brush in the middle. Tried t make some a while back but the stuff I used for washers didn’t work wort a hoot

Boolit Buddy
    I bought some VFG bore critters from BACo (man, do they get stuff to you quick) below is a quote regarding flexible cleaning rods that was on the BACO site regarding the VFG crittersI see a lot of guys using these flexible rods. In Brent’s video of using critters in the prone position, I don’t think he was using a bore guide of any sort, such as a opened cartridge case...

“3.Allows the use of a rigid cleaning rod in some rifle so you can quit prematurely wearing out your barrel when using a flexible cleaning rod.”
    Regards, Richard

Boolit Master
    If you are going to make up some bore critters with brushes, I recommend these
    https://www.brownells.com/gun-cleani...prod40083.aspx

They have bronze cores and won't rust out like steel cores do.

Richard, no, I don't use a bore guide. I don't know anyone who does on the firing line. I don't think a drilled firing case would suffice anyway, if using a delrin rod.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine are like Brents but I leave out the rubber washer wiper. The front felt and brush are wet in the ammo box of water, and I leave the back felt dry. Push through with a dry patch concentrating on the chamber. Bit more work but still experimenting.
    . by [url=https://www.flickr.com/

Boolit Buddy
    That looks like it will work Keith, and a lot less $$$$$ than I paid.
    Regards, Richard
    Edit...are you trimming the hair off the brush and pushing the felt of the twisted part?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsguide View Post
    That looks like it will work Keith, and a lot less $$$$$ than I paid.
    Regards, Richard
    Edit...are you trimming the hair off the brush and pushing the felt of the twisted part?
    Yes, I just rotate the end against the bench grinder to remove a few bristles.
    These are a bit more work than Brents as he just gives his a rinse and a shake and can reuse. Mine, I have to undo the nut and replace the felt with a dry one each time but I bought heaps of them so its OK. I wash and dry them later.
    I couldnt find decent washers to use that wiped well and had the right size hole. If I could I would give Brents a go again for simplicity.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for that info Keith.
    Regards, Richard

I haven't used any of these bore critters yet but I might try them. Being a Plumber by trade that has used a lot of bib washers and O-rings of all kind I think a leather bib washer might be more effective then a neoprene for the trailing dry wiper they would work more like a squeegee
    and they can be made from old leather belts by just punching them out with a press mounted wad cutter.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Keith;4398847]Mine are like Brents but I leave out the rubber washer wiper. The front felt and brush are wet in the ammo box of water, and I leave the back felt dry. Push through with a dry patch concentrating on the chamber. Bit more work but still experimenting.
    . by [url=https://www.flickr.com/[/QUOTE] What your showing I"ve been using for 3-4 months ,made 50 for $70.00 and they work great ,followed by a dry patch they speed up wiping and leaving a consistent a bore condition !/Ed

Boolit Buddy
    I personally LOVE brents Gophers. I have the baco wipers also. I have been trying to get them to work as well as brents design but for whatever reason brents wipers seem to do a little better for me. Maybe its the brushing action. When I first started using them the local ace hardware didnt have enough washers for me to build 15 or so wipers so I went to the lowes that was 20 min from the house and tried those. BIG mistake. My experience mirrors Brents in that the washers from ace are the only ones suitable for the task at hand.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    They are 1/2" OD x 3/16" ID x 1/16" neoprene from Ace Hardware. I add the source because I have bought the same washers from a machine supply shop for MUCH less money but they lasted less than one season. Though they were cheaper, the Ace Hardware versions have outlasted them by a couple of years.

A friend sent me some smaller ones for a .40 cal. They were from WalMart of all places but the rubber looks real good, and they have nice sharp edges that should make good squeegees. Also there are website suppliers (names I do not know) that specialize in various forms of rubber washers for different purposes and materials. Some of them might be much better than what I have, but what I have works pretty well, so I haven't really explored.
    Brent, What diameter are the .40 caliber washers? Thanks Ross

The squeegy from the BACO system will thread easily on an 8x32 threaded bore brush.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the suggestion Don. I was in the process of ordering Arsenal Patches from Buffalo Arms, so I added a few of the "Bore Wiper Cleaning System Squeegees.” to the list. The length, however, of the squeegee looks like it will prevent the use of the felt wad on the back end of brush. I like making stuff and the “Fuller Brush" concept works for several shooters, so I still plan on assembling a bunch of Brent’s Bore Gophers. Although the squeegees will surely work, using washers is less expensive than purchasing squeegees @ 1.75 ea. If I cannot find any suitible washers at the local hardware store, I’ll try cutting some out of suitable material with a .40 caliber Cornell Wad Punch.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast