Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paper patch bullets and silhouettes.

Boolit Buddy

Paper patch bullets and silhouettes.

This past weekend I attended but did not compete at a sillohette match at the Roanoke Gun club. The event was run by Capt. Joe Davis, a most gracious host who patiently answered my numerous questions. I was able to use my spotting scope on the line and so much enjoyed the shoot that I plan on competing in the near future.
    I think everyone there was using gg bullets but I want to use pp bullets. I already have a BACo 535 gn Elliptical, Jim 443530e pp mold that I’ll use to cast 1:16. And I’ll start working up a load that Brent recommended for .45-70 in my Browning BPCR 1885 knockoff.
    My question is, what wiping technique do you pp shooters use under the time constraints of silhouette shooting? What I have gleaned so far is a Texas bore pig-pushed through the bore with a damp patch on the end of a Teflon rod followed by a dry patch. Would really appreciate hearing from the “been there done that” group.
    Thanks, Richard

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I like the bore wipe system from Buffalo Arms, the felts are wet with napa oil and water mixed 1-7 and pushed thru the bore with a 2 1/2 dry flannel patch on the tip of a delrin wiping rod.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Don. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Buffalo Arms yesterday....Maybe I can catch them when they open and get them included in the order. Thanks Richard

Richard they are spendy to set up , but well worth it IMHO. Get two sets and a 250 ct. box of felts.
    If you have your stuff organized in front of you so there's minimal hand movement (ie time used) it's faster than blow tubing, and certainly quicker than running multiple patches.
    Brent has came up with a similar homemade system using the felts, nylon bore brushes and O rings bought at the local hardware store that works well also.

Boolit Master
    Richard,
    Push whatever bore critter you use with a DRY patch.

The key is to have everything laid out right so that you don't fumble around for a patch or a bore critter or whatever. Here is a video of me shooting in Raton. You can see that I'm not rushing and most of my time is debating the weather with my spotter. But the bore gets cleaned easily and quickly.

My preferred bore critters are homemade and I use a Paul Huard built Patch Popper to dispense my dry patches. I have modified it to hold cartridges and my clock - the clock part doesn't work so well, but the rest does. For silhouette however, only a single barrel is needed. The double barrel is meant to hold both wet and dry patches for long range. It sucks if the wind blows away your loose patches.

Brent

Banned

+1 on using a good bore wiper AND a patch popper. one swipe of the delrin rod does it all and saves time best used for aiming.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bore wipers.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	222421

Boolit Buddy
    brent's video says it all.
    here in oz we sometimes need to blowtube at least 5 times.
    given that you need to breathe in well, then exhale slowly, 5 times can take some time, and you can be left a little light headed at the end.
    not a good position to be in to make a good shot.
    then you have to shoot as soon as blowing is finished, or the moisture will disappear causing differing barrel conditions and vert.
    a well set up wiper can maintain consistency of barrel much quicker than that, and then wait if necessary.
    my own experience is with both texas bore pigs and baco wiping felts.
    in 40 cal the wipers are harder to push than the pigs.
    push them with a dry patch and it is 1 pass.
    (not too fast a push dissolves stuff)
    with greasers, a little fluid in the barrel might be advantageous to lubricate biore riding noses.
    the thing i would add to brents process is to pull the dry patch back and push it out again, expelling the device at the same time.
    where i shoot i do not want expelled patches blowing around the range in the wind, and have to grab the patches as they exit the muzzle.
    keep safe,
    bruce.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow , I just love watching the master competition guys show their shooting skills (and neat tricks). That flimsy delrin rod is a great idea when prone. Thanks for posting the vids !

Boolit Buddy
    Hey guys thanks for the informative replies. Don, those guys at BACO are on the ball..my first order was already shipped out. I ordered what you suggested, two sets and extra felts.
    Hi Brent, thanks for the video. It appears that wiping is as fast or faster than the blow tube once you get the routine down. Do you put the bore pigs in something like a Tupperware container that has the oil-water solution? When st the line? I already have the patch popper and a thousand patches that have a waffle pattern...I understand those patches were discontinued. Can the felts be rinsed and reused or are they a one shot deal? Brent, it appears from reading your comment that you use a different wiping strategy between silhouette and long range matches. Could you please elaborate on that please.
    RFD nice looking storage setup for the wipers...like Don said...not a cheap date. Lol
    Bruce, thanks...I think I would go cross-eyed if I had to huff and puff on a blow tube in a timed match.
    Once again gents, thanks very much.
    Regards, Richard

Boolit Master
    Yes, wiping is at least as fast as blowing.

I put them in a Tupperware box with dihydrogen oxide, also known as hydrogen hydroxide, aka WATER. Plain old Water. From the tap. NO OIL.

Your patches will work fine. When they are gone buy ProShot 2" flannel patches and carry on.

Between relays, I put the gophers back in the box with the water and shake them a little, then they are ready to go again. At the end of the match, I rinse them several times and when I get home from a long trip of several days shooting, I put some Oxyclean in with my rinsing water and that cleans them well enough, so a couple more rinses with straight HOH is all that is needed. I have been using the same felts on my homemade gophers for a couple of years now.

In a silhouette match, bore critters and a dry patch are a must. In a "target" match, there is much more time, and I use 2 wet and 1 dry - normally. I used the gophers and patches two weeks back and things did not go well - AT ALL, but I don't really believe it was the wiping. I just don't know what happened.

If you are going to buy Texas bore pigs, I STRONGLY suggest getting them with nylon, not bronze, bristles. Also, it is best to make your own versions using bronze core nylon brushes that will not corrode like steel core brushes will.

Boolit Buddy
    Great Brent, thanks a lot.
    Regards,, Richard

Boolit Master
    Richard, what sort of flats do you guide on? Antelope flats? Bonefish flats? Just curious about your handle.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Brent, I was a fly fishing flats guide in the Florida Keys for about the last twenty five years. The main quarry was Bonefish, Permit and Tarpon. Sharks too. Great sport!
    Regards, Richard

Boolit Master
    That's what I was guessing. Someday, Tarpon on a fly.... Someday....

Richard I use one of the plastic air tight storage containers that have the rubber seal and snap tight lids to keep the wipers ready to go and another for the extra felts.
    Collect the bore wipers and the used patches in a rubber horse feed pan placed at the end of the muzzle.
    After each relay I take the used felts off , put them in another container, and replace with fresh felts. End of the day take the last set of wipers with the used felts rinse them in water and oxyclean. put the felts in their container and the wipers in theirs, and you're already for the next day.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Don...appreciate the tips very much.
    Yeah, Tarpon on a fly, does not get much better. We generally use a 12 to 15 wt fly rod. When you hook a Tarpon it’s like hooking onto the back end of a Volkswagen going by at 30 mph. You can’t stop them. Initially, you need to keep up with them in the skiff then after their initial runs you can fight them from a dead boat for the most part. Brent, if you ever decide to try flats fishing let me know and I can get you set up with some top guides and the best time for Tarpon. Bucket list stuff for sure.
    Tight lines, Richard

Permit would be my quarry, 12-15 wt. fly rod ! wow ! big stuff for sure.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BRUCE MOULDS View Post
    brent's video says it all.
    here in oz we sometimes need to blowtube at least 5 times.
    given that you need to breathe in well, then exhale slowly, 5 times can take some time, and you can be left a little light headed at the end.
    not a good position to be in to make a good shot.
    then you have to shoot as soon as blowing is finished, or the moisture will disappear causing differing barrel conditions and vert.
    a well set up wiper can maintain consistency of barrel much quicker than that, and then wait if necessary.
    my own experience is with both texas bore pigs and baco wiping felts.
    in 40 cal the wipers are harder to push than the pigs.
    push them with a dry patch and it is 1 pass.
    (not too fast a push dissolves stuff)
    with greasers, a little fluid in the barrel might be advantageous to lubricate biore riding noses.
    the thing i would add to brents process is to pull the dry patch back and push it out again, expelling the device at the same time.
    where i shoot i do not want expelled patches blowing around the range in the wind, and have to grab the patches as they exit the muzzle.
    keep safe,
    bruce.
    Bruce
    interested in your blow tube comments ---I shot this afternoon, just load testing for my sharps, not happy with my shooting for most of it, afternoon sun a bit glary and not seeing the sights as well as usual (usual is not all that crash hot these days anyhow ) getting more vertical than horizontal today ? most times is other way. I finished with five of the CBE 460-535PB - just fit em on an A4 sheet at 500 yards, so 10.5 vertical x 7.5 horizontal - two nice pairs in it though one 2" and another 3" ..........one long slow with the blowtube between each shot and I reckon I over did it by heaps - one part the chamber was wet from the blowing - came back to the house and my barometer says a touch over 80% humidity - I got caught doing the same at Hill End two years ago - dead calm, humid, with the LEE boolit and my string walked down the target till I stopped the blow at about number nine (of my 12 shots). Have not shot the sharps since this last Easter and nothing missed the board so I spose not so bad.
    When you saying you needed 5 with the blow tube ? was that a grease boolit or paper patch ? I have only ever done one blow each shot with the grease boolits in dry hot weather and the 1876 only takes one each break (I normally shoot five then a break/ blow then shoot another five) - thats those LEE boolits with a lot of lube on em though.
    Just wonderin if I misinterpreted something here - jeez I would be puffed too doin five big breaths between shots - same effect as running back from pinning up yr target.

You can't just blow thru a blow tube,, that's using it for a pacifier. For blow tubing to work properly, the shooter has to be well hydrated, and the breath has to come from deep in the lungs to put as much moisture as possible in the bore.
    Much quicker and better for accuracy to use the patch popper set up and push one or two damp patch behind a greaser.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Don McDowell;4394479]You can't just blow thru a blow tube,, that's using it for a pacifier. For blow tubing to work properly, the shooter has to be well hydrated, and the breath has to come from deep in the lungs to put as much moisture as possible in the bore.

Don ....What you say was why I was kinda querying Bruce on that five breaths - I reckon if I did that there would be rain comin out the end of my barrel - but I dont know exactly where he lives and /or where he shoots most
    Ya talkin to an alternative health nut here - hydration and deep breathing I do know a bit about

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast