Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: can't seem to find a barrel re-liner nearby,,

can't seem to find a barrel re-liner nearby,,

Hi guy's, sometime in the not to distant future i'm going to see if I can get an old pitted / wore out Marlin 1894 ( dob 1901) 32-20 barrel lined ,
    The gun still shoots fairly well with cast but it's pitted and nasty inside so a liner might bring it back to something better.
    Now here's the rub i'm here in Arkansas and can't find anyone who actually does this, i'm sure they are out there but I cant find one.
    So has anyone got any suggestions for me, in-state if possible but will strip and ship if needed.

Oh and any idea of this work might cost,,,,, I know prices vary but i'm just ballparking so I can start my can collecting/ recycling now to pay for it...lol.

thanks friends.
    Keep breathing , it's good for ya...

Boolit Buddy

I don't know if he does this kind of work however, he builds excellent rifles. Arkansas Gun Traders in Benton. Bill Poole, owner

thx jack ,i'll look him up and see.

I sent my old Marlin 32-20 out to Redman's. The first half of the bore was gone and now it's a tack driver. I had to remove the wood and the magazine tube before I shipped. IIRC is was about $350.

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    I sent my old Marlin 32-20 out to Redman's. The first half of the bore was gone and now it's a tack driver. I had to remove the wood and the magazine tube before I shipped. IIRC is was about $350.
    Have'nt heard of Redmans, where are they located bosterr,?.
    Do they / him /her have a web page ?.

They're located in Omak, Washington. Yes they have a web site. The fee I paid included return shipping, but that was a few years ago. I had reservations about sending it so far away, but it was my only option. The only local gunsmith near me would take such a job in then sit on it for a year or more. Redman's make their own liners as well.

John Taylor is another gunsmith who does relines, and he's here on this forum so easy to get in touch with.

Thanks guy's much appreciated,
    Maybe a PM to John would answer some questions , i'm also going to look into redmans .

Boolit Master
    Bobby hoyt in pa. Does great barrel work.

Thanks again gents , It's looking more and more that i'm going to have to ship this barrel out of state .
    Any Arkansas smiths out there reading this ?.
    come on guy's you know who you are lol,,,,

Boolit Buddy
    If I was going to spend the time and money on a reline the ONLY one worth doing it with is TJ's. his liners are superb and far and away better than anything Redman's makes.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardB View Post
    If I was going to spend the time and money on a reline the ONLY one worth doing it with is TJ's. his liners are superb and far and away better than anything Redman's makes.
    What? You're saying a hammer forged seamless 4140 barrel is better than a button rifled piece of hydraulic tubing? No way!

Boolit Master

I believe both T.J.'s and Redman's use 4130 aircraft tube, the difference is one is hammer forged and the other button rifled. I prefer T.J.'s because they are hammer forged and have a larger selection of calibers and twist rates. The hammer forging makes the metal a bit harder and smoother on the bore. Both will work to make a gun shoot better.

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I believe both T.J.'s and Redman's use 4130 aircraft tube, the difference is one is hammer forged and the other button rifled. I prefer T.J.'s because they are hammer forged and have a larger selection of calibers and twist rates. The hammer forging makes the metal a bit harder and smoother on the bore. Both will work to make a gun shoot better.
    Thanks john for clearing that up on the differences between liners, the bore on my rifle is so bad I had Eric at accurate make me a .316 dia mould just to get the boolit to touch any rifling but it would be nice to have it back to " somewhat" original specs.
    BTW folks the barrel on the rifle is a full 28" ,full octagonal and for what I paid for it it might be worth it ,,, (to me) to have it relined.
    It's not going to win any awards but it needs some love ,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    The last two Redman liners I bought from Brownells had a visible seam in them. This is the 22lr ones, not the centerfire. Nevertheless they did shoot well once installed.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    The last two Redman liners I bought from Brownells had a visible seam in them. This is the 22lr ones, not the centerfire. Nevertheless they did shoot well once installed.
    I have not looked at a Redman liner in the last 15 years, maybe he is using something ells now.

Boolit Bub
    Who is T.J.?
    "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier, or not having been at sea." --Dr. Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by 3AXBAT View Post
    Who is T.J.?
    Mike Sayers
    3652 Neltner Rd
    Alexandria, KY 41001
    (859)-635-5560

You can also buy his liners through track of the wolf.

Boolit Master
    I don't know if Norm, at High Plains, in Turtle Lake, ND is still working or not, but you could check.

About a year back I sent a K22 barrel to Alan Siegrist (989)873-3929 to have redrilled for .32 and rifled(considering having a K32 built). Give him a call and maybe he can help you out?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294