Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: 870 mag tube issue

Boolit Mold

870 mag tube issue

Anybody ever have trouble with rounds sticking in the tube of 870 shotgun? I've got a 20 ga. 870 youth and sometimes a round gets stuck right at the mouth of the tube. I can fell the tightness when I push a round into the tube past the shell catch. I tried polishing the surfaces with some sandpaper. Seems to have helped but it still seems to rub when you push a round in. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
    Chris

All brands of ammo? Or just one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I've only tried one brand. I have a case of Nobel Sport I bought for 4-H trap several years ago. I'll see if I can get a box of something else and try it.

The reason I say that is that aluminum head shells have jammed up many a shotgun.
    Try some AA or vintage anybrand brass plated base.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Is it a new gun? Sounds like it has some debris under the shell latch. Got a buddy with the 20 gauge and it was new, and its "tight". Those shell latches are bent in a good bit on the 20 gauge. They aint easy to remove unless you're pretty handy too, as they are staked in. When an 870 is old as dirt, the shell latches can work out, and they got to be staked back in.

Boolit Master
    I had a 1100 20 gauge that did the same thing. It's because when they put the magazine tube in the action they push to hard and it forces the tube in to the hole to deep causing the tube edge to roll into the hole taking up room needed by the shells rim.

Boolit Master
    If you got a bum tube magazine it's silver soldered or brazed in place so back to big green to have the work done.The left hand inside the receiver separated on my 870 pump when firing so off to remington to get the old piece out and reinstall a new one and reblue the receiver.fast forward 30 plus years and no trouble. Few years baxk when the 870 police turn ins hit the market I bought two. 125 for one and just under 200 for the other. They were covered with rust. Stripped one down to it's component parts and some 4/0 steel wool and breakfree and no more rust, redid the wood which suprisingly was in decent shape, both turned into jewels no pitting pit a limb saver at the buttplate old one was gone Brst money I've spent in quite awhile. Frank

Banned
    Them old 870s are really good shotguns the new ones ehhh.

Newer or older 870?
    Steve
    "The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
    Life member NRA, USPSA, ISRA
    Life member AF&AM 294

Boolit Grand Master
    An old Model 870 is like a ‘55 Chevy... they seem to run on forever, and there are so many of them out there they support a huge market for aftermarket parts. There may be better repeating shotguns out there but the humble 870 owns a big niche in the market and a big place in shooters’ hearts.

To the OP with his problem, I would try to give the opening of the tube a little bit of reaming to break any roll that was made by overpressing the tube at the factory. It seems that for many of today’s guns, the first owner is expected by the manufacturer to do the final fitting and tuning, but for the 870 the effort will be worth your time... once it’s right it should run on like a freight train.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    As above, I'd detail strip it, clean, and inspect for any dents or "rolls' in the tube. The inside of the mag tube needs regular attention, just like the other parts of the gun. When I clean mine, I will occasionally disassemble and run a cleaning rod inside the tube. Spring out, plug out, etc. Clean, and treat with a thin covering of rust preventative. Good luck.

Boolit Master

I had this problem with a new 870 clone 12 ga. What the problem turned out to be was a large burr in the receiver where the tube enters. After a little work with the Dremel tool, not a problem since.

Banned
    All the above is good advice. Check the follower, sometimes they get damaged and stick at a certain place in the tube.

The 870 has been in continuous production since 1950 and over 11 million of them have been made. It's a good design.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    All the above is good advice. Check the follower, sometimes they get damaged and stick at a certain place in the tube.

The 870 has been in continuous production since 1950 and over 11 million of them have been made. It's a good design.
    This is good advice. The plastic follower tends to stick in the tube. Replace it with an aluminum of stainless steel follower from Brownells.

Bill Jacobs

Banned
    I've actually had better luck with the plastic ones as long as they are not damaged.

Boolit Master
    S.B.if you are asking me about the police turn in's 870 shotguns I mentioned couldn't give an exact year but both are on wingmaster receivers and have the same letter prefix as my old 870 deer slayer with the slug barrel and that one has to be about 35 years old. Frank