WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45 Colt load help

In Remembrance

I load the RCBS 255 gr. swc with 6.5 gr. of Red Dot that delivers about the same 900 +/- fps as did the original old time factory loads. I use this load for about everything from paper to deer.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    thanks guys, yes I was going to just up the charges on the current bullet and if that didn't work, start work with a heavier bullet to see if anything changes.

Does anyone make a 'higher' front sight for the Ruger Blackhawk Stainless 45 colt?

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I like the RCBS .45-270-SAA in my RUGER BLACKHAWK & S & W MODEL 25-5. Over 9.0grs of UNIQUE in my 4 5/8" BLACKHAWK, and 10grs in my 7 1/2" BISLEY & 8 3/8" SMITH.
    I have never tried them in a COLT SAA or NF, too hot & too much recoil in such a light gun.
    Another reason I don't shoot them in a COLT SAA or NF. The C.O.L. is TOO long. Same for Italian clones.
    I've popped off a few in my old 7 1/2" VAQUERO'S. Really send a soda can flying.
    I was surprised however to find out the C.O.L. was too long for the New VAQUERO too.
    My bullets weigh 275grs cast of LYMAN #2.
    UNIQUE seems to work best with this bullet for me. It's not really a MAGNUM load, just a bit HOT.
    IF YA WANT A MAGNUM LOAD , Shoot a MAGNUM gun.

I shoot 9.0grs of UNIQUE in the short bbl BLACKHAWK because there is TOO much unburned powder in the bbl with 10.0grs.

.35 Whelen, nice little porker. Looks like a perfect shoulder shot.
    Thanks, Walks. All that practicing at 50 yds. finally paid off!

Walks, the 45-270 SAA was designed by Dave Scovill, editor of Handloader magazine, specifically for the Colt Single Action Army, therefor it will fit in the cylinders of Colt's and the various reproductions.

This bullet can be run close to 1,000 fps while staying within the 14,000 psi pressure range and can be run around 1,100 fps while staying in the 20,000 psi range.

More info here: RCBS 45-270-SAA

BigMagShooter keep in mind that how you grip the revolver will have a profound effect on the POI, especially when shooting heavier bullets.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master

30yrs ago I made the mistake of loaning my 4 5/8" BLACKHAWK to my nephew. He FILED DOWN THE FRONT SIGHT BECAUSE HE DIDN'T WANT TO "screw up my sights". I sent it back to RUGER FOR a new front sight, the highest available. They put that super high front sight on and I've been happy with it ever since.

I imagine a GOOD GUNSMITH could probably put a new front sight on it. The trick would be finding one who could do more than assemble parts to make an AR-15 clone or smooth the rails of a 1911.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    The Scovill RCBS 45-270-SAA groups tighter than any other boolit in my Colt’s at 25 yards. The same load groups about 8 feet at 100 yards. I believe it’s unstable due to rate of twist. I’ve never tried the Scovill in my Blackhawk. The Blackhawk is a 4 3/4” New Model. It’s a great gun, wears fancy walnut checkered grips with the Ruger medallions. The Ruger just doesn’t get out like the Colt’s which get out frequently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12