RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Colt load help

Boolit Buddy

45 Colt load help

I have been searching around looking for some load data for my Ruger 45 Colt. Yes this is the one that can handle the "Ruger only" loads.

I have a 265gr boolit and cannot find any load data for it. Yes I can power down some 300gr load data or power up some 250gr load data... anyway. I am hesitant to do so because it seems the powder charge range is quite small and I'm not too sure about interpolating some powder charges for odd weight boolits.

I was wondering if there was a thread I missed that has a bunch of cast boolit load data on 45 colt with various weight boolits.

I have 250gr and 265 and 270 gr boolits I cast.

Anyone care to post some load data?

I plan on hog hunting with mine, so some decent whammy loads would be nice in addition to the medium loads for plinking would be nice.

8 grains of Unique under my 260 gr Cast LSWC works for me . Should look after anything I have to deal with up here. Recoil is ok and accuracy is there if I do my part.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Larry Gibson pressure tested load data for me, 7.0-7.5 grains of Bullseye works with 260-290 grain bullet not to exceed 20,000 psi good for Ruger.

Attachment 222349Attachment 222348
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-19-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have done alot of experimenting with .45c. It is my favorite cartridge. I have settled on unique as my fav powder for it. I usually start at 7.5 and go up .5 at a time until I get what I am looking for. I don’t go past about 10

I use 11gr of HS6 and NOE 454-265. Used this load on a Texas Longhorn ( about a 1000lbs) my bullet went thru about 28-30” of cow. What more do you need?

Boolit Buddy
    I used to use 20 grs of AA9 with 255gr lee cast for around 1350 fps in ruger bisley for a max load but think 1000 to 1200 fps is plenty with this bullet. Less recoil too! 10 grs unique will give you about 1000 fps with 255 gr cast boolit.

I’m good with 8 grains of Unique under a 255gr cast & powder coated projectile (old cowboy load with new coating).

If you want to max out the 45 Colt, H110 is the absolute best powder to go with according to Linebaugh’s testing work on Colts. Check out Linebaugh’s custom six gun website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use 12.5 - 13.0 grains Blue Dot with the Beartooth 265 WFNGC in my 45 Colt for about 1000 fps.

Boolit Master
    Some long time favorites of many 45 Colt shooters using the Ruger that you mention with 250-260 gr bullets are, 9 grs of Unique, 18.5 grs of 2400 & 20 grs of 4227. Velocities will vary depending on barrel length but pressures will remain the same regardless of barrel length.

Dick

Read this article by Brian Pierce. I have loaded the RCBS SAA 280gr with my alloy (wd ww) with this data using LilGun and it's 1450fps in my Bisley Hunter. Very accurate as well.

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazi...246partial.pdf

Here's pics of a couple of my targets getting used to the load with a new to me at the time 4X leupold on the BisHunter.

I used John Linebaugh data for this 255gr load. Lee RNFP, water dropped ww. 26gr H110, 1450ish fps. 2X Weaver.

My favorite load for all 3 of Blackhawk's I have is with a 250 grn. WFN w/9.7 grn WW-231. It will shoot ragged holes at 25 yards in all of them
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180118_162944[1].jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	222411

This is a target from shooting 4 of the 5 bullets that one of my favorite molds casts, if it shows one thing it is how well 2400 works with cast loads in the 45 Colt with medium weight bullets.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9464.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	222410

First of all hogs aren't as hard to kill as everyone thinks, so you don't have to load the 45 Colt to the gills....unless you just want to.

This ol' girl met her demise compliments of a .44 Special delivering a 248 gr. SWCHP plodding along at 950 fps from 44 yds. distance.

I've been messing around with a new-to-me Uberti Frisco for the last few months. I've been shooting quite a bit of a 290 gr. SWC loaded over Unique and most any load has been very accurate. I'd start with 8.5 grs. That yielded around 850 fps and wonderful accuracy:

I've gone up to 9.5 grs. which provided 997 fps with the same bullet.

I have an RCBS 45-255 mould that casts a SWC bullet at around 265 grs. I tried it and 14.5 grs. of AA#7 in my Frisco and it shot very well at 50 and 75 yds., but I see little need in that much power for deer and hogs. This load is about maximum in the Uberti, Ruger New Vaquero and New Blackhawk (.357 frame), but would be fine in your big Blackhawk.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    if your impact is high, do you need to go faster or slower with the bullet to effect it? or does it matter?
    I found a nice load, middle of the road so to speak, it hits 3.5" high at 15 yds.

Faster or raise your front sight.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Buddy
    How much faster? any idea?

Nope just faster. Move up in small increments of powder or just aim lower if you like the load. Not trying to be a smart ... just being honest. You can also use a lighter bullet using the same load of powder. I had to do that with a 38 S&W with a gun where someone had chopped the front sight in half.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I may bump up the load first and see then maybe try a heavier boolit.

thanks.

No going to a heavier bullet will offset the higher charge. You want a lighter bullet with the same charge or increase your load with the bullet you have. The longer the bullet remains in the barrel the higher the point of impact due to recoil.

Take Care

Bob

Boolit Bub
    i cast and load a 250gr lead bullet using an old lyman single cavity mold part# 454 190 and now they make it in a double cavity mold using that same part# but anyway with that bullet my load is using 6.8gr of greendot powder and this is great and safe in all 45 colt loads! but if you want a more serious load i also use the sierra 300gr jsp with 20.8gr of hodgdon h110 powder and now this load i only shoot in guns like my rossi r92's as i have two one standard loop the other in large loop with both having 16in barrels! but i also own two heritage big bore revolvers in 45 colt with both having 4 3/4in barrels and with them i only shoot the 250gr cast bullets i make with the 6.8gr greendot powder and this load in both of my pistols and my two rifles shoot super good plus i also size these to .457 using a lee sizer and lubing them with lee alox and so this has been my most used load for most things i hunt here! but that ruger only load i mentioned using that 300gr sierra with 20.8gr h110 is a really hot load and will do what ever you want to do with it!

Boolit Master

I like the RCBS .45-270-SAA in my RUGER BLACKHAWK & S & W MODEL 25-5. Over 9.0grs of UNIQUE in my 4 5/8" BLACKHAWK, and 10grs in my 7 1/2" BISLEY & 8 3/8" SMITH.
    I have never tried them in a COLT SAA or NF, too hot & too much recoil in such a light gun.
    Another reason I don't shoot them in a COLT SAA or NF. The C.O.L. is TOO long. Same for Italian clones.
    I've popped off a few in my old 7 1/2" VAQUERO'S. Really send a soda can flying.
    I was surprised however to find out the C.O.L. was too long for the New VAQUERO too.
    My bullets weigh 275grs cast of LYMAN #2.
    UNIQUE seems to work best with this bullet for me. It's not really a MAGNUM load, just a bit HOT.
    IF YA WANT A MAGNUM LOAD , Shoot a MAGNUM gun.

I shoot 9.0grs of UNIQUE in the short bbl BLACKHAWK because there is TOO much unburned powder in the bbl with 10.0grs.

.35 Whelen, nice little porker. Looks like a perfect shoulder shot.
    Last edited by Walks; 06-28-2018 at 01:31 PM. Reason: spelling
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast