MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of lube

Boolit Master
    While I love the look of the GPR, the top edge of that butt plate is dangerous (mine cut one of my jackets). I filed it off a little, just so it wasn't razor sharp, and I wear a recoil pad when I shoot. I got a PAST version many years ago when I went from a .45 with PRB to a 50 shooting conicals. Nowdays I use the recoil pad whenever I go shooting rifles any bigger than a .223 Just makes life a little easier.

Gent offered to "build" my kit. He calls them Screwdriver kits, but he did add that there is often proud wood where the inlet isn't quite right and some wood needs removed.

I am hoping that Charlie, you just found one that missed some production attention, as I've not had that issue with mine, nor a .54 a buddy has... They furniture isn't completely cleaned up but none of my parts were sharp when I got it sent to me after the "screwdriver build" and wood relief. I would have done what you did and altered it.

A good friend sent me some sort of gel that I made a tie on butt cap cover for and inserted the gel stuff inside it on the curved butt plate...it's not a perfect job but then I'm far from perfect, but it helps the 2x repaired right shoulder and I just keep the load to 80 gr. max, so far 70 for RB and 75 for the REALs have sufficed

Boolit Buddy
    All the "what's the best lube" threads I've seen turned into one of those ""get your popcorn" type things. Everybody has their favorite and will defend it to the end. :^)

Quote Originally Posted by reivertom View Post
    All the "what's the best lube" threads I've seen turned into one of those ""get your popcorn" type things. Everybody has their favorite and will defend it to the end. :^)
    Boy, you said a mouthful right there!!!

I like what I got for a couple reasons: 1) someone with way more MZ experience then I has used it for years, 2) I can make it myself and on retirement income that is important; & 3) Unlike some who putter till hell freezes over, I like KNOWING what works (for me) rather then tinkering with unknowns endlessly...

But with forums, there is a plethora of MY WAY OR HIGHWAY, attitude.

Seems whatever works for the person, is affordable in their realm, readily available on a moment's notice, that should be their GO TO lube... and meets their accuracy demands and shot-to-shot fouling control.

Someone made the comment to me that spit, liquid lubes, etc are fine at a range in temperate weather but in a patch block or dead of cold season hunts, that might not work as well...

I've gone on record as having used Bore Butter in another state, which was readily available in my home area for a price and now, using the home concoction GATO FEO made of Tallow, beeswax and paraffin, has worked well, kept fouling to a minimum and I have enough for this lifetime at least... Anyone want to be added to the will?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12