WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data PBcastco
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neck sizing -vs- Full Length sizing

Neck sizing -vs- Full Length sizing

I know that it is better to neck size when you can to keep the brass stress to a minimum as long as you are shooting it in the same bolt action rifle. My question is, What about semi auto rifles? If I am going to be shooting the same.308 brass in my AR 10 should I full length size each time due to possible feeding issues if I don't?
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Semi-auto rifles do not do well with neck sized brass. You may get by with it for 1-2 loads, but eventually the rifle will choke on the ammo. Full length size.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

more important to the ARs and M14/M1as brass is not overly pushing the shoulder back. adjust the sizing die to bump the shoulder back .002-.003 from fired cases. this gives the shoulder clearance to function. Most will allow for the body sized in this manner. A set of redding full length bushing dies will also allow for experimenting with the actual neck tension of the round.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I only full length size. Neck sizing only in my understanding is for competition target shooting. I've heard neck sized casings get stuck from time to time. Good way to jam up your AR. I eneal my casings every 7 firings or so to keep my brass soft extending the case life. My avatar is from my POF P415 full Length sized at a 100 yards. Don't think I could make it more accurate by neck sizing only and getting stuck casings in the process. I would think in a semi auto you would want to full length size to help feed and function.

Boolit Buddy
    Also to help fit in the Magazine. Fatter brass bodies might cause issues.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by krallstar View Post
    Also to help fit in the Magazine. Fatter brass bodies might cause issues.
    Good point

I was pretty sure that I needed to full length size for a semi auto but wanted to get some other ideas. I really appreciate all of the comments.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

Use a RCBS standard .308W X die to FL size for your AR 10.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Neck sizing for a semi can cause problems because they don't have the caming force of a bolt action or some single shots.

Boolit Master
    I think it depends on the specific rifle and type of rifle. My M1 works fine and I never full length size.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    jeepvet,

I agree with Hick and let my individual rifle "tell" me when it has enough sizing. I keep all loads labelled and specific for each semi arm. I back off my resizing die 1/8 or 1/4 turn and try the resized case in the arm. I turn the die down in small increments until I get a slight crunch fit, I then lock the die and reload. I do this for my Garands and also did it for three different Match M14s when I was on my state high power rifle team.

Size just enough for individual arms.

Adam

Boolit Grand Master
    Eventually the rounds are hard to chamber with strictly neck sized. You will have to full length size every 5-6 loadings. Every chamber is different though.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Use a RCBS standard .308W X die to FL size for your AR 10.
    Do the case necks have to be under a certain thickness so that the case will not stick in the die?
    M. Stenback

Boolit Master
    I use the Redding Competition shellholders that come in +.002,+.004,+.006,+.008,+.010, others can be special ordered. Allows establishing minimum working of brass when full-length sizing with shellhoder bumping sizing die. Makes for very consistent sizing. In some rifles, this type of full-length sizing MAY increase accuracy. In my Savage 99 .308's and .300's I find case life increases by 4 or 5 loadings for 'full' loads that chamber without resistance. Most of my rifles chamber easily with the +.006 shellhoder with another at +.008. I do neck size for light loading but after 3 or 4 firings I again full-size to keep everything working smoothly. Regular annealing also in very useful, both for accuracy (bullet pull) and case life. For neck sizing, I find the Lee Collet Die or Redding Neck Size Bushing die easiest on cases. I use the Redding Full-Lentgh Bushing die for my .308 and .223 full-length sizing with the Competition shellholders. Allows one die to work for multiple rifles by changing the shellholders.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fa38 View Post
    Do the case necks have to be under a certain thickness so that the case will not stick in the die?
    I have not found any problems with varying neck thicknesses from Winchester through various makes of M80.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Bub

For my SC 03-A3 I neck size approx. 5 times and then full length size.

Boolit Master
    I have to admit I'm a little confused by this thread. People seem to be saying you need to full length size so that the rounds will extract better. Once you fire the round, the case is the "as-fired" size-- same as it would be if you only neck sized in the beginning. Once the round is fired all the changes you made by full length sizing are gone, so how does full length sizing help with extraction??? Is something more complicated going on here?
    Hick: Iron sights!

I full length size for all semiauto rifles because it works better that way.

Boolit Master
    When I started loading for semi-auto rifles I bought a case gage. Loading for semi-autos has a bit of a learning curve, the case must chamber freely without having to much headspace. A case gage will give you a place to start and help keep you out of trouble till you figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    I have to admit I'm a little confused by this thread. People seem to be saying you need to full length size so that the rounds will extract better. Once you fire the round, the case is the "as-fired" size-- same as it would be if you only neck sized in the beginning. Once the round is fired all the changes you made by full length sizing are gone, so how does full length sizing help with extraction??? Is something more complicated going on here?
    Brass springs back somewhat when fired. Even if it swells under pressure to be a tight fit in the chamber, when the pressure drops off it shrinks back some. If you only neck size, it already nearly fits the chamber and doesn't shrink back nearly as much since it doesn't expand as much to start with. It keeps getting larger over repeated firings until it becomes hard to insert into the chamber and very difficult to extract when fired. When you full length resize, it takes the brass back to original dimensions and starts the swell and shrink process over again.
    The only thing you need to watch for is the case stretching and hardening over time and possibly cracking. Neck sizing as much as possible helps reduce this somewhat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast