RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: 45 ACP powder switch from pistol to carbine?

Boolit Master

45 ACP powder switch from pistol to carbine?

Rather than the usual 231 that I use for my 45 ACP pistol, what slower powder would be recommended to load 45 ACP for a carbine, in order to take advantage of the longer barrel?

Thanks

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    I just started testing with a 45 ACP Hi Point carbine and Blue Dot has worked well for me. 10.7 grains behind a H&G 68 clone has averaged 1230 FPS with good accuracy. I tried 10.2 in a 1911 and it kicked pretty hard so I haven't tried 10.7 in a pistol yet.

I selected Blue Dot because it was the powder with the highest listed velocity in my Lyman manuals and was the last powder listed meaning it has the slowest powder burn rate.

My powder was gifted from a friends Dad and is from the 1980's. I'm almost out and when I buy more I will work back up to 10.7 rather than start there.

Boolit Master
    red dog... that’s the rifle that I want to load for. Did you try that same boolit with 231, and if so do you remember the average speed?

Thanks
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    What kind of carbine? Is it a locked breech or blow-back-operated semi-auto?

In my converted Marlin 1894 I experimented with case capacity charges of #2400 in a .45 ACP carbine with 20” barrel. DO NOT try these in an M1911 pistol, but only in the New Model Blackhawk convertible or a suitably strong rifle which supports the case well.

Test loads all assembled in Federal NT cases with Federal 200 small rifle primer.

Control - HM2-453-200FN Cowboy, 5.5 grains Bullseye 1054 fps, 4 Sd, 15 ES (951 fps, 11 Sd, 33 ES in 4-5/8" Ruger BH)

H&G68 200-gr. SWC, 16 grs. #2400 1433 fps, 11Sd, 34 ES

Accurate 45-240D, Auto Rim flatnose bullet, 16 grs. #2400 1375 fps, 15 d, 40 ES.

Cases extracted and ejected easily with no excessive pressure signs, no barrel leading. Bullets cast of wheelweights lubed with Lee Liquid Alox. The .45 ACP loads fired in the carbine all grouped about 6” for 10-shot groups fired at 100 yards, typical performance for this iron sighted, 5 lb. carbine. These loads also work well in my Ruger Blackhawk convertible, but they are too hot for an M1911...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I suppose that I should keep any loads for a carbine at or below the maximum that my Walther PPQ can handle. I would hate to accidentally toss some heavier carbine loads into my PPQ by mistake.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

I have good results with cfe pistol and hs-6 in hipoint. With bluedot and a lee 200 rf I got right at 1300 fps, but spreads were wide and I had a lot of unburned residue. A sensible load of HS-6 will get right at 1200 with better accuracy and narrower spreads. The new CFE is cleaner and mellower, and gives impressive velocity (1025 fps) in my 5" 1911, but I haven't chronographed it in the carbine.

btw, Hi-point does not like that lee 200 rf. Frequent failure to feed jams, especially with the hotter loads.
    Last edited by jcren; 06-18-2018 at 05:21 PM.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I have not chonrographed any 231 loads in the HI Point. I have shot some light 231 loads when I first got the gun and didn't have any problems. They were probably loads real close to light target loads that I typically use and it functioned without any problems.

I wouldn't be afraid to shoot the 10.7 grain blue dot load in any regular 45 ACP gun, it'd just had more kick than I want to deal with. I've considered going hotter and trying to get up in the 1300 to 1400 FPS range with Blue Dot. At 1300 FPS you'd still be within 45 ACP +P range which the HI Point can handle. At 1400 FPS I'm sure you'd be pushing the limits of the design. Any loads hotter than the book loads will be segregated and kept out of handguns.

On a related note I tried out the new redball 20 round magazine during my last range trip and it functioned perfectly. If you're looking for an upgrade over the 9 round factory magazine these appear to be good to go. The packaging kind of scared me because the have a whole list of recommended ammo brands and a list of ammo brands to avoid. However my H&G 68 200 grain SWC with an OAL of 1.25 using mixed brass cases worked well.

Boolit Master
    I’ve got a Lyman 452460 mold that’s begging to cast boolits for a Hi Point 4595, if that’s the caliber I finally decide on. Thanks for sharing your info and experiences with yours.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!