MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Opioid/heroin crisis?

^^^^
    omg!!!

i tought my body was a trainwreck....

i'm on supeudol since this past november while waiting for a lower back surgery.

pain can be bright and very sharp, to the point of not being able to walk normally.

when i'm struck by the nerves touching some bones,it litterally cut my legs , and i may fall down on the floor ; i have to hook on the walls,appliances...on anything to crawl back in bed,my lower back is so painfull ,it cant support the upper body.

i take as many as i see fit(6 to 8 _ 10mill pills ) ,so i can go through out my retirement days.

i fear the day doc will cut my oxy intake. will i get a stroke?

now,when my time is past (meds) i feel dizzy and i'm getting chills ,i've never felt this way ,i think symptoms are instilled by my body claiming his dose.

i've been 8 years in this state of high pain, while refusing to take any painkillers, before
    the doc convinced me i would have a much better life while waiting for the
    surgery ; but if i had to choose between the bright and cutting pain i've been through all these years i refused the meds, i'd choose the meds again,living pain free is priceless,living with 24 on 24 pain is more than the human body can take on the long term.

yet,i'm in high fear.

will i be able to jump out from the meds without a hiccup?

i know it'll be a really tough time.
    Last edited by glockfan; 06-22-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Boolit Master
    I had reluctantly tried morphine in the past and I didn't care for it. It really didn't do well with my pain management but it has awful withdrawal even at the low dose I took. I had used Percocet for the better part of a decade and it did the best job at letting me live life without being in misery. The past couple of years we have been keeping better tabs on my blood chemistry and was starting to trend above normal on my liver enzymes so another change was in order. Now gone with the Percocet to get rid of the acetaminophen which is not your livers best friend. Now I take a oxycontin which is free of the added acetaminophen but it is an extended release drug. I honestly haven't felt this good in years. I tend to hurt much less and over longer periods of time and without the loopy feeling nor the withdrawal of the roller coaster that came with the Percocet. Staying active is a big help too. Doing anything extended periods causes pain to set in, sitting, standing, sleeping, etc. It might be worth a try for some of you. Keep an eye on your bloodwork too and insist that it be checked if you don't do so frequently. I wish I didn't have to depend on meds like this and basically have a leash for someone or something to control me by but the alternative, pain is too much. I've hopefully got a long and prosperous life ahead of me still and that's a journey I'd rather not live in agony. Life is too short for that.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    ^^^^
    omg!!!

i tought my body was a trainwreck....

i'm on supeudol since this past november while waiting for a lower back surgery.

pain can be bright and very sharp, to the point of not being able to walk normally.

when i'm struck by the nerves touching some bones,it litterally cut my legs , and i may fall down on the floor ; i have to hook on the walls,appliances...on anything to crawl back in bed,my lower back is so painfull ,it cant support the upper body.

i take as many as i see fit(6 to 8 _ 10mill pills ) ,so i can go through out my retirement days.

i fear the day doc will cut my oxy intake. will i get a stroke?

now,when my time is past (meds) i feel dizzy and i'm getting chills ,i've never felt this way ,i think symptoms are instilled by my body claiming his dose.

i've been 8 years in this state of high pain, while refusing to take any painkillers, before
    the doc convinced me i would have a much better life while waiting for the
    surgery ; but if i had to choose between the bright and cutting pain i've been through all these years i refused the meds, i'd choose the meds again,living pain free is priceless,living with 24 on 24 pain is more than the human body can take on the long term.

yet,i'm in high fear.

will i be able to jump out from the meds without a hiccup?

i know it'll be a really tough time.
    Want wreck? Low back laminectomy(decompression), now need a fusion. Neck fusion. Right shoulder rotator cuff twice, left shoulder still has an 80% tear. Right wrist carpal tunnel twice, left wrist still have carpal tunnel. Left hip tumor removed from around the sciatic nerve. Right knee scraped out. Right thumb tendon shortened and reattached. Torn ACL both knees, bone spur right hip... on top of osteoarthritis and my spine slowly fusing on its own(extremely painful process)...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Want wreck? Low back laminectomy(decompression), now need a fusion. Neck fusion. Right shoulder rotator cuff twice, left shoulder still has an 80% tear. Right wrist carpal tunnel twice, left wrist still have carpal tunnel. Left hip tumor removed from around the sciatic nerve. Right knee scraped out. Right thumb tendon shortened and reattached. Torn ACL both knees, bone spur right hip... on top of osteoarthritis and my spine slowly fusing on its own(extremely painful process)...
    He was referring to my post which I deleted. Sorry to cause the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    He was referring to my post which I deleted. Sorry to cause the confusion.

why did you deleted it? your history is the best example i've ever heard on how much pain someone can take ; it's very important for everyone to know such situation exist!!

then maybe people will realize that,supeudol,morphin,demerol ectecte...has their place ,and it's exactly for such cases like yours and mine that such meds are designed for....

at the end of the day, no one can understand really what it can be to live day after day with such bright pain in tow, like what you have to support.

me i'm probably not at your level yet!! but trailing spondylosis like i do since a decade, isn't going to improve by itself with a swing of a magic wand.

knowing what i know now about PAIN,if i was personally affected to such very,very high level as you seems to be , taking meds would be an absolute no brainer. me i'm about to get rid of a great part of that silly pain i'm suffering from since 10 years, and i hope the same to you,sincerly.

Banned
    why did you deleted it? your history is the best example i've ever heard on how much pain someone can take ; it's very important for everyone to know such situation exist!!

then maybe people will realize that,supeudol,morphin,demerol ectecte...has their place ,and it's exactly for such cases like yours and mine that such meds are designed for....

at the end of the day, no one can understand really what it can be to live day after day with such bright pain in tow, like what you have to support.

me i'm probably not at your level yet!! but trailing spondylosis like i do since a decade, isn't going to improve by itself with a swing of a magic wand.

knowing what i know now about PAIN,if i was personally affected to such very,very high level as you seems to be , taking meds would be an absolute no brainer. me i'm about to get rid of a great part of that silly pain i'm suffering from since 10 years, and i hope the same to you,sincerly.
    i deleted it because after reconsidering it, I thought it was whining and embarrassing. Fooey, Had I known that it would actually help someone out I would have never deleted it. ...And I didn't copy it either. Sigh.

Boolit Master
    I would like to clarify my thoughts on "over prescription". Many times it's over prescribed for acute injuries and complaints. I believe many problems start with initial overt prescriptions.

Folks who have chronic, documented pain inducing injuries and maladies, documentation should be required of the physician , and verification from the patient.

To deny there is an opioid epidemic, one would have to have be isolated from their community, I would think.

Moderator Emeritus

As has been pointed out, the problem with using the broad brush is there are a lot of folks in some pretty bad pain that - yes rely on - pain meds to take the edge off to function. People think nothing of spending a morning shopping. I do that and can't move for the rest of the day. Sucks planning your life around pain and then having politicians make it so I am forced to do that similar trip every month because heaven forbid a 58 year old man can be responsible. I asked for a single prescription for backup in case of emergency. Was told I was the first person to ask for that and denied. Local rain storms ended washing out a few streets that were closed for almost two weeks. Luckily I had been there the morning the main road closed for repairs that afternoon. I agree with others in that hold the person taking the meds responsible.

Boolit Master
    Opined epidemic ? Yes I believe people abuse drugs,hell at one time I did. I also believe the "epidemic" is blown out of proportion to justify the further funding of drug companies to solve the "problem"
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

when i think about it a little,i'm reflecting that only some decades ago, in my situation i would have had no choice than resting in a rock'n'chair all day long.painkillers help me going through out a full workday, whereas 30 or 40 years ago,would had been condemned to take my illness as is , with no other choice than disability.

Boolit Grand Master

Unless you've experienced that level of chronic pain, you can't imagine the need. I passed a 5X7 mm kidney stone and had 9 teeth pulled at one setting without anything but regular ibuprofen. That said, the constant pain in my lower back is another story. Physical therapy and meloxicam help but I can't get groceries even using the electric cart. My social life has been reduced to trips to the Dr for momma and me. In between, about one morning a week, I can make it downstairs to the loading room and back. Usually, it's just to check to see that everything is OK and sort some brass
    Fear of addiction keeps me from asking for real pain relief. I saw 2 friends devastated by opioid use and my best buddy committed suicide. I refuse to take the chance.
    I don't look for pity and am not being brave. I've been married for 54 years and lived a gifted life. If I had the chance to do it all over, other than a couple foolish mistakes, I'd do it all again.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Moderator Emeritus

when i think about it a little,i'm reflecting that only some decades ago, in my situation i would have had no choice than resting in a rock'n'chair all day long.painkillers help me going through out a full workday, whereas 30 or 40 years ago,would had been condemned to take my illness as is , with no other choice than disability.
    From my experience back then a lot turned to alcohol for relief. I know runs heavy in my family going back aways as all used their back/legs/knees making a living. I was even told by my father that going to college was taking the easy way out. Thinks different now and I am the first male in my family's history to go to go to college and I still ended up screwing my back and neck up!

Boolit Master
    The thing about moderate too severe chronic pain is that it can be so insidious and overbearing without anyone else around you knowing what you are going through. In what is probably half or more of chronic pain sufferers, we don't show any outward appearance of our conditions; our pain and suffering isn't worn on a sleeve. Its not like seeing a splint or cast or crutches on someone and having a visual marker for pain. Sure, there folks that are contrary to that ideology and that includes me at times. You can see it in someones posture, movements and body language. You can see pain in peoples eyes. But, most of the time we blend right in without anyone else knowing. Like I said, insidious. Then theres the occasion where people fully well know you have a condition and they dont bother to care or are purposely forgetful that we might require a little consideration. Most people wouldn't ask a guy on crutches to help them carry a new couch into the house but they get upset with us if we have any reservation because we look fine. I run into that scenario all the time beings its fairly unusual for people my age to be so messed up. I would kill to be able to help and volunteer as if I was in perfect health. Those also wearing these shoes understand, the majority of those on the outside of the bubble are quick to shun and or become frustrated with you for having a disability as if I had chosen this.

I hate it, being miserable all the time is just flat depressing and a poor way to have to live. It eats away at you like an acid, little by little, day by day. Not only is it hard on you, its not great on your family, your friends, your relationships in general. There is no flipside or upshot to be in this lot. It just plain stinks. For you all that just carry on without the pain management, you have my admiration, I don't think I could hack that for that long. I know how miserable I feel without something to control my pain and I don't think I would make it all that long before I completely lost the will to live and ended my suffering. In a moment of self reflection; that was really hard to type, to acknowledge that and just being honest with myself; sitting here with my eyes all welled up. Never ending pain can absolutely push a person into a corner, boxing you in with no escape except for the ultimate one. I can sympathize with folks that are in a state of depression, our wonderful Veterans that suffer from PTSD.You see, chronic pain is more than capable of destroying lives just the same as any prescription or street drug. It can take so much away from you. Every waking minute it's right there or just around the corner waiting to take away your quality of life. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    Last edited by Mytmousemalibu; 06-25-2018 at 02:46 AM. Reason: More to say.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

here is a crushing testifying speech that explain a lot concerning this topic here. this guy is well known and guys and gals of my age might even have listened to PANTHERA at one point .this guy is philipp anselmo,and he got back from hell,one of the rare person who won it's battle against opioids......this
    video is crushing for me , it really makes me think hard. i'd ask you to listen to the entire video. it's really revealing.

the guy started on opioid for medical reasons, in fact ,like me, he was suffering from a degenerative discs illness, like many among us ; except he climbed the ladder to a much higher height than most of us ; fortunately for us .

Boolit Master
    In my earlier post I may have used a broad brush to paint the problem, but in my case it was 100% accurate. I have visited with other patients of the same doctor who received a similar prescription, and had fairly similar results with the pain following the surgery. I quite like the doctor, and don't necessarily blame him for the over prescribing of pain meds. I am firmly convinced he was taught this practice in medical school.

I know some people have chronic pain and need these type of medications. Some if not all become addicted to them after long term use. What I was trying to point out is not all people need an opioid for pain, especially the amount prescribed. In my case the hassle of refilling a 10 pill prescription certainly would have been a deterrent to taking more Percocet for any lingering pain I was experiencing. Although I don't wish to go through another hernia surgery, if that time ever happens, I'd try ibuprofen before Percocet, because in MY CASE, I don't think a stronger pain med was needed. I'm not claiming to be a super stud who tolerates pain, what I am claiming is doctors are taught to prescribe meds when they are not needed.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Mytmousemalibu View Post
    The thing about moderate too severe chronic pain is that it can be so insidious and overbearing without anyone else around you knowing what you are going through. In what is probably half or more of chronic pain sufferers, we don't show any outward appearance of our conditions; our pain and suffering isn't worn on a sleeve. Its not like seeing a splint or cast or crutches on someone and having a visual marker for pain. Sure, there folks that are contrary to that ideology and that includes me at times. You can see it in someone posture, movements and body language. You can see pain in peoples eyes. But, most of the time we blend right in without anyone else knowing. Like I said, insidious. Then theres the occasion where people fully well know you have a condition and they dont bother to care or are purposely forgetful that we might require a little consideration. Most people wouldn't ask a guy on crutches to help them carry a new couch into the house but they get upset with us if we have any reservation because we look fine. I run into that scenario all the time beings its fairly unusual for people my age to be so messed up. I would kill to be able to help and volunteer as if I was in perfect health. Those also wearing these shoes understand, the majority of those on the outside of the bubble are quick to shun and or become frustrated with you for having a disability as if I had chosen this.

I hate it, being miserable all the time is just flat depressing and a poor way to have to live. It eats away at you like an acid, little by little, day by day. Not only is it hard on you, its not great on your family, your friends, your relationships in general. There is no flipside or upshot to be in this lot. It just plain stinks. For you all that just carry on without the pain management, you have my admiration, I don't think I could hack that for that long. I know how miserable I feel without something to control my pain and I don't think I would make it all long before I completely lost the will to live. In a moment of self reflection; that was really hard to type, to acknowledge that and just being honest with myself. You see, chronic pain is more than capable of destroying lives just the same as any prescription or street drug. It can take so much away from you. Every waking minute it's right there or just around the corner waiting to take away your quality of life. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    I ran into that when I parked in a handicap spot at Walmart. This rather young woman screamed at me to get out of HER parking spot. I asked if she had handicap tags... nope, no mirror tag either. I have the mirror tag. Sure I walk okay going into the store but by the time I come out the cart is the only thing holding me up. I told her to go away and went in, she called the cops so when I came out they asked me why I parked there. I pointed at the handicap tag on the mirror and then said "Notice the muscles standing out on my arms? That is because my low back pain is off the charts". Cops then asked the girl for her handicap tag and she started stammering and said I don't have one. Guess who got the ticket? LOL Wasn't me! And the cop was nice and helped me load groceries into the truck!

Only time my pain is visible is after walking to far or lifting heavy, or like today bouncing on the lawnmower seat... walking hunchback now until my back settle down again... mowing was my main chore of the day. Have some little fix it chores lined up like reset the gap on the barley crusher for my beer brewing system, last batch efficiency had dropped. My sister wanted beer for her 4th of July party so next weekend she is coming down to bottle it(I keg). I told her I am not standing there capping bottles for an hour... and I am going to tinker on a radio that died after the lightning strike. My bedside shortwave radio...

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks folks. Helps a bit knowing others are fighting the same battle and feel the same. My latest injury cost me a marriage. Not easy living with someone in constant pain. Sleeping on the floor isn't conducive to a marriage. Like Chris said, I don't look disabled either. Slightly out of shape now but still look better than most. Her friends swore I just didn't like them or going out. You never know till the chips are down.

Boolit Master
    I lay this problem right on the doctors. they prescribe the strongest pain killer for a hang nail or a sprained joint.

Boolit Master

End the drug war now!!! I keep repeating that.

Pain manigment should be between you and your Doctor. No cops or congressmen

Boolit Master
    I have seen the problem first hand. I worked for the phone company installing phone systems and occasionally worked in hospitals. The telephone equipment room was always located next to the ER. I saw people screaming for pain killers. Some had to be restrained before they hurt themselves or others. For a few months I, along with others worked in a mental institution. That is where the druggies end up when they have exhausted any help from friends or relatives. I witnessed one poor guy being unloaded from an ambulance in a straight jacket. They took the man out of the ambulance, laid him on the ground and then stood him up like he was an ironing board. H was in a catatonic state. I was amazed at some who turned themselves in for drug addiction. In outward appearance they could be bankers or successful business men. When drug addicts came up to the corner to turn themselves in the desk clerk would tell them, "follow the yellow line". They had painted a yellow line in the side walk across the lobby, out the door and around the building. I came in one day and saw the glass door had been shattered and replaced by plywood. During the night a druggie had tried to break in, in the hope he could get some dope. He had terrorized the night operator. On one occasion I and a coworker were modifying a switch board on the evening shift in a chemical company. We were working in the lobby. We could see the street from where we were working. We noticed an old car kept driving up and down past the building so we told the security guard. He said in happens a lot. They think they might break in and get drugs but they opiates or locked in a big safe so they are wasting their time. The problem is very real and getting worse. All that I have related to you happened over 30 years ago The really sad thing was to see the flower of our youth have their lives ruined by this pestilence. I lost a nephew from a heroin overdose. He was 26 and a nicer young man you would never meet.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456