Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Marlin 1894 .44 boolit mold advice

Boolit Mold

Marlin 1894 .44 boolit mold advice

New to casting 44 magnum

Looking to pick a mold for my Remlin 1894 in 44 mag. Rifle slugs a .430 diameter.

The research I've fodne says Ranch Dog's 432-265 is the go to mold.

My issue however is that the ranch dog mold I want is out of stock at NOE.

I did some looking around and saw NOE's HTC432-262-WFN mold. This mold is a powdercoat mold which works better for me as I exclusively PC.

Would anyone figure that the HTC432-262-WFN mold would work and function in an 1894 in .44 as from my experience and research the rifles can be quite finicky.

Boolit Master

Can't you wait ? Last mold I ordered was out of stock, took just 3 weeks to get it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I was thinking the NOE is not running any more and not take any orders. Am I wrong.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I use this one http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...j5kdt230ehfh41 in my Rossi 92. It kicks on both ends with about 23g of H110. I also use http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant...Code=ZBJ-44MAG they are $.13 each and loaded over about 9 grains of Universal. Each load is about 1400 fps so I don't have to change my sights at 100 yards and can shoot all day with the lighter load.

Boolit Grand Master

While I have two original Ranch Dog 44 cal. molds, if I could not find an RD design mold I'd look for a similar shape/weight mold. Lyman makes a .430" RNFP, 240 gr., and a little shopping around you can find several others. Unless I ws in a hurry, I'd check with NOE to see when the mold you want will be in stock. I really doubt id they would stop production, permanently, on a very popular bullet mold...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

What do you have in mind, Hunting or accuracy?
    A heavy 265gr is sure good for hog hunting, BUT... since those marlins have that slow twist rate (1:38), a lighter boolit will tend to fly more stable. Many have reported that boolits over 240gr when shot in a marlin, become unstable at distances over 100 yds, depending on the load, of course.

That's my 2˘

I would choose a 200 gr boolit like this one.
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...roducts_id=234
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

The Lyman 429244 drops at about 260 for me and has always worked well.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Mold
    I plan to use it for a little bit of everything plinking, hunting and wildlife self defense (i live in Canada cant carry a handgun)

Thanks for the tips!

Boolit Mold
    This is my first time ordering from NOE. Average time for a mold to be back in stock is 3 weeks?

A dumb question, but I will ask: have you shot anything that heavy in your Marlin? Mine shoots anything up to 240 grains just fine. Above that weight by much and it is all over the place. If you haven't tried heavier projectiles, it might be worth trying some before shelling out for a mold.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 323&303 View Post
    This is my first time ordering from NOE. Average time for a mold to be back in stock is 3 weeks?
    You should email or call Al at NOE to ask the status. There is no average time for an item to be back in stock. If you contact him, so he knows you want to buy one, he "may" squeeze in a batch to replenish stock if he knows one is to be sold right away. It may be a couple weeks, or it may be longer. BUT, if you don't contact him, it may take 6 months.

Also, get on NOE's email list, they occasionally have specials, usually on just certain molds, of course those specials are for in-stock items only...but it's usually 15% off.
    The last sale was Memorial Day (USA). below was a cut-paste of that email sale.
    Sat 5/26/2018, 2:00 AM
    Memorial Day sale
    15% OFF 3 DAYS ONLY
    Don't miss your chance to take advantage of NOE's exclusive Memorial Day offer! This sale is for 15% off our entire stock.

Offer ends Monday, 05/28/2018 at 11:00 PM MT

Enter discount code MEM3a997 at check out. Offer ends 05/28/2018 at 11:00 PM MT, and cannot be combined with any other promotional offer's. Not valid on previously placed orders.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 06-18-2018 at 09:32 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    A heavy 265gr is sure good for hog hunting, BUT... since those marlins have that slow twist rate (1:38), a lighter boolit will tend to fly more stable. Many have reported that boolits over 240gr when shot in a marlin, become unstable at distances over 100 yds, depending on the load, of course.

That's my 2˘

They changed twist rate at some point and started putting faster barrels on the 444 than the 1:38 the older guns came with. IDK when the switch happened, but I can tell you mine from 1972 has the slow one for sure.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Moderator Emeritus

I haven't seen anything anywhere that they changed 44 Mag.

If Remlin were to change the slow twist on their 44 Mag guns, I suspect several will be sold to castboolit shooters and we'd have a dozen threads about them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post

That's my 2˘

I agree, at least that has also been my experience when I had Marlin 1894's in .44 mag. Lee makes a fine 200g RNFP that feeds well in all .44 mag brands I've had, and it is available in 6 cavity at a pretty nominal cost.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I know you want a solid fn boolit but I saw a post over on the Marlin forum that someone was using Lyman devastator HP boolits. He was shooting cloverleaves at 50 yards and claimed golf ball sized groups at a 100 yards with them out of his Marlin 44 mag. Another option for you if you can't find your mold.

Boolit Master

I have the TL-432-243-RF. It drops at .432 when cast of #2, TL with 45-45-10 it shoots 1 1/2" (5 shots) from the bench in my 20" WINCHESTER 94AE. Always thought about scoping it, to see what it would really do.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

My old 1894 is 1:38" twist with microgroove and it shoots boolits up to about 280 grs. quite well. Heavier and they lose stability before 100 yards. I've shot 265 gr. to 200 yards with good results.

Nothing wrong with NOE but have you tried Tom at Accurate Molds? He'll make whatever diameter and style you want as long as it has a small meplat. He has .43" molds from 115 grs. to 500 grs. so lots to choose from and will make them PB, GC, regular lube grooves, tumble lube grooves, smooth for powder coat and again about any design and diameter you want:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=11

43's start about 1/2 way down the page and go for 2 or 3 pages.

Longbow

I have used 429244 alot in my Marlin 1894 CB. In order to get SWC style boolits to feed nicely you need to chamfer the rear of the chamber to remove the sharp edge so it doesn't dig into the boolit.

This is why they say only use Round Nose Flat Point boolits. However by simply putting a .04-.05 chamfer on the mouth of the chamber it will feed anything.

These boolits are also going to be longer than what everybody says will feed in the Marlin. They claim 1.610 is max. Mine feeds 1.680 just fine.

The Lyman Devastator is a good Round Nose FP choice and if you get a Mihec Mould it will have HP pins that allow 3 different HP's and a solid.

Here's a pic of the chamber mod which is simple to do.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    +1 for Accurate Molds. Tom does beautiful work. You can customize the dimensions he lists in his specs. He will want to know the alloy used so he can forecast the shrinkage of the boolits dropped.
    The mold I just received was round to .0001” can’t ask for any better than that.
    FWIW mine is the 43-240AG. It feeds beautifully in my 1894 and Ruger 96.
    Good luck

Oz