Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Husqvarna 371 XP

Husqvarna 371 XP

I have a husky 371 xp. I bought it used from the original owner, whom I know. Its not had a hard life in its 20 years, and its really more like a saw just broken in. Its a running rascal.

Got a 24" bar on it at present. The previous owner wore out 1 chain, never flipped the bar, and then sold it to me. I cleaned all the sawdust out of it, and been using it ever since.

Well Long story short, I keep loosing the screw and the bushing out of the hand guard on the starter side. I tried tightening down the screw.... But I reckon I didnt, or cant get it tight enough. Guess blue loctite is the answer? Will I be able to get the screw back out with blue loctite?

Anybody else fancy the husky line?
    Last edited by Bazoo; 06-18-2018 at 12:53 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Blue loctite would work if you want to remove it down the line. Red if you don’t. Consider adding a few wraps of fishing line if the threads are poorly done and there is slop.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like you have a great saw there. Yep, a little blue loctite and you are in business. Heck, use the red -- saw like that you'll probably never have to take that screw out anyway.

Boolit Master
    Huskies are good saws. But I won't buy another XP. I had a 357 XP for about 6 years that I used primarily for bucking up tree length for firewood, I always used the XP oil as required by the manual. It was great, produced a couple hundred more rpm than their other saws and ran like a champ. One day, I need fuels nd no one in town had any XP oil, so I ran one tank of "regular" 50:1 and cooked it. In the end, I put a Chinese jug and piston in it, de-tuned it and gave it to my son in law for Christmas. It cuts fine, although not as fast, and he's still running it years later for the little bit of cutting he does. But since I'm not racing chain saws, I'm staying with the standard models from here on out.

Moderator Emeritus

20 years... wore out 1 chain

and I concur with Blue locktite on the handle screw...especially if that is something that needs to be removed to get at anything, like spark plug or something? I own Stihl, so I don't know the huskys.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Used to sell Husky saws and according to their reps, use 40:1 conventional oil or 50:1 in the full synthetic xp oil. Just passing that along, I just have a 15 year old rancher, but my dad has had a couple of the smaller xp saws and they are awsome saws, pound for pound.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I ran a small Husky for 20 years and gave it to my son, who still runs it. Aside from putting in new fuel lines that got brittle due to ethanol it has been great.
    I currently run two a small 16" bar and a 445 with an 18" bar. They are only 4 or 5 years old but run fine. I only run synthetic 2 cycle oil anymore and ethanol free gas in my 2 cycle tools.
    Last edited by Rick Hodges; 06-19-2018 at 09:29 AM.

Thanks for the replies. The screw in question is on the starter cover and also holds the left side chain brake. I put the brake on anytime im not cutting, so it gets a lot of use. It doesnt vibrate out, so much as it works back out. I take the cover off for cleaning bout twice a year. I use synthetic oil and mix 50:1. I have a downloaded manual for it, that recommends 50:1, and also gives some things I can use in place of bar oil in a pinch.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    Used to sell Husky saws and according to their reps, use 40:1 conventional oil or 50:1 in the full synthetic xp oil. Just passing that along, I just have a 15 year old rancher, but my dad has had a couple of the smaller xp saws and they are awsome saws, pound for pound.
    I've got an almost 25yr old Husky 41 that I use 40|1 in and it still cuts like a boss. My Chinese 50cc Chainsaw recommends 25:1. Smokes like crazy and I'm thinking of upping it to 35:1.

Best saw I owned, though, after the small Husky was a Jonsered 2152. I ran an 18in bar on it and it cut like a banshee.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum