Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
PBcastcoLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: converting a 1892 winchester from 25/20 to .357 mag.

converting a 1892 winchester from 25/20 to .357 mag.

been awhile since i have posted. looking for someone who can convert over my 1892 win. from 25/20 to .357 mag. ok before any one gets crazy and tells me not to do this. the rifle was orignally in 25/20 caliber and the person that i inhertied from back in the 60's when the .218 Bee was hot decided he would convert it over to that caliber. well he did not do that great of a job so now that i have another .357 pistol i would like to convert this over to that. so my question is who is the go to guy here or what do i need to change over if i do it my self. any help would be appreciated.
    Rick

Boolit Master

Years ago, Bob Snapp, of Snapp's Gunshop, was considered to be the go to guy for these conversions. It's not a trivial or easy process. I spoke to Bob once and he told me that he tabulated the large number of steps (I don't recall the number), machining and otherwise, to make a good conversion. The bolt face has to be machined, the guide rails modified, etc, etc. At today's prices it will be quite expensive. Still, I would also like to know who would now undertake the job.

Purely as a financial calculation, I think you'd be money ahead to get a Miroku/Browning/Winchester 92 originally in 357. I have one of those and it's a beauty. I don't know if Miroku parts could be used to convert your rifle.

Then, I'd hang out on ebay and look for an original barrel in 25-20 or 218 Bee to return your rifle to useful status.

What I really hope is that we find a chap who does this sort of work at home, for peanuts, and to a very high quality. Heh!

well if i could just get a list of what i would need and what the process is i would attempt it myself.
    Rick

Boolit Master

I met Bob Snapp in the mid 90s and he was slowing down then. I don't know what his situation is now. Google knows his gunshop contact information. Maybe you could start there with questions.

Boolit Master
    SELL IT! ---take the money and go buy a Rossi in 357mag

I converted a 25-20 to 38-40 last year - I enjoyed the experience - proud of the job I did - would I do another one ? maybe - but you would not want to be paying me wages for the work!
    You could put a 32-20 barrel in yours and avoid a lot of hassles
    Soon as you change the base case size - you need to remodel most of the innards to get it to work - so feed rails - lifter - magazine cutoff - at the least, need to be altered ----357 should be much easier than what I did tho.

thanks for the info joe.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick459 View Post
    well if i could just get a list of what i would need and what the process is i would attempt it myself.
    Rick
    Dont NEED anything except patience and determination and a few tools you probably already have unless you stuff up some part - by the time you get it running sweet you will be able to put a 92 together from a pile of parts, in your sleep and blindfolded .
    I recommend borrowing a Rossi or browning in 357 that the owner would let you pull down to copy internal parts
    Dremel tool with sanding and polishing drums - small files .
    I checked my 32/20 and the tube would take a 357 (just) so maybe you dont need to modify the magazine ?
    So 1) feed rails 2) magazine cutoff 3) lifter (maybe - maybe you dont need to change it) 4) might have to remove metal from inside action frame ahead of the loading port - not sure for a 357 but heaps got to come out to clear a 44/40 - 5) enlarge the bolt face and ejector button 6) extractor (maybe)

I'm almost tempted to try one I know where theres a 32/20 thats a bit untidy and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick459 View Post
    Rick

Given that it would be far less expensive to just buy a Rossi or Browning M092 in .357, here's most of what I can remember you'll need to convert your Model 92:

* Either buy a new .357 barrel with the shank threaded for your Model 92, or have your existing barrel re-bored/re-chambered to .357.

(a new barrel may/may not have the barrel dovetails in position to attach the magazine hangers and/or the forend)

* Open up (grind) the bolt face diameter to accept the .357 case head size.

* Cartridge guides - Either rework (grind/shape) the existing guides, or buy & adapt Rossi. 357 guides.

Given that the .357 case rim is small enough to pass through it, the magazine throat in the front receiver wall shouldn't need to be enlarged, like it would if you were converting to a cartridge with a larger rim.

A new .357 Rossi M92 = (about) $595

A good/used .357 Browning M92 = (about) $900, when/where one can actually been found.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I have seen and shot quite a few in years past. all had feeding problems. sometimes they would run fine then for no other reason they wanted to be single shots.

what do you want it for ? hunting I would not trust it. plinking the .25 or .32 is better less powder and lead. equals more shooting per pound of lead and powder.

I would opt. for the rossie in .357.

Put .357 Rossi parts in it. Bolt, cartridge guides, barrel.
    Fit, fit, and fit some more and hopefully have a working gun.
    Personally I would put it back proper as a 25-20 or 32-20.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Back in the 70's Snapp's gunshop converted one for me. He was recommended by Skeeter Skelton from Shooting times.

I spent $700 dollars to get it done and the work was excellent. I shot 2 deer with it in NH and then went to the 45-70 with no regrets.

It got sold for some other project as all of my guns have gone. Not being rich you can't keep em all when you want to play with something new.

Good for the guys who never sell any gun but not for me.

I have always thought the 218 Bee would be a pretty good cartridge for me to carry on the tractor or 4 wheeler. I have A 32-20 and a 357 and use them interchangeably depending on whether I feel like a Winchester clone or a Marlin. As I am deer rifle poor I don't use the 357 on deer. Not saying it would not work but I have a whole bunch of other rifles that I feel would work better including a 35 Remington. So I carry the 357 loaded with 125 grain bullets at a fairly modest velocity. My 32-20 like a 120 grain bullet.

Mainly I am saying that I would not spend the money to convert to a 357 if it costs less to go to a 32-20.

DEP

The 218 Bee is a great riding around cartridge. Ask my Dad haha.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

I don't recommend 357 in the older 92's and would stick with 38 special pressures. You will need barrel anf feed rails and will have to set the shell stop this will run you some serious bucks but is doable.

i want to thank all of you here for your help. now i just have to decide what caliber that i will return this rifle to. thanks again.
    Rick

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Just a thought , perhaps a barrel liner to make it a 25-20 or a 32-20 . I would agree with the guys suggesting a Browning 357 . I had one once and it was great but , I like my model 53 a bit better .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter